mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Marble grips (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/130205-marble-grips.html)

TippmannFireman 08-08-2010 10:32 PM

Marble grips

So, I helped tear down a house about a LONG time ago, and from this house, there was marble windowsills. Well, long story short, I have a lot of marble that's just sitting under a tree in the back yard. Would it be possible to make marble grips? Would they be strong enough? I'd send the marble into a shop here locally (if there is one) where they could cut it and mold it and everything like they should be. But, would it be possible to make them?

Thanks guys!

peachesaretasty 08-09-2010 01:06 AM

Anythings possible. Only problem i see is they may crack when cut.

druid 08-09-2010 02:39 AM

yeah. You need a high speed cutter that uses water as a coolant/lubricant...much like those expensive CNC machines they use for motorcycle wheels [orange County Choppers as the example]......

PistolRogue 08-09-2010 03:32 AM

Actually, I'm pretty sure stone like marble would be better shaped with a diamond-grit grinder than a CNC-type machine... Of course I'm pulling that completely out of my butt, but I've never seen a stonecutting CNC bit before....

druid 08-09-2010 04:03 AM

Well yeah...I was thinking a high speed cutting disc like a radial arm saw but with diamond wheels and liquid to cool/lubricate the cut.

markerjunky 08-09-2010 08:55 AM

You're gonna have to use either diamond or a silicon carbide grinding wheel that is used in the masonry trade. You can rough shape them with that and then you'll need to use finer grits to polish it up. You can also cut them with an electroplated diamond router bit or drill bit. You'll want to use some sort of a coolant/lubricant or the dust will be horrible.

TippmannFireman 08-09-2010 09:39 AM

Well, I wouldn't be doing the cutting. I'd send it a normal .45 grip, and have them cut them and drill the holes for the screws and everything. But, my question was, would it be possible. So, it's possible, and they would stand up to a paintball shot?

PistolRogue 08-09-2010 02:45 PM

Possible? I'd imagine yes, if you found someone who knows what they're doing... Cheap? Probably not lol.

C_losjoker 08-09-2010 03:10 PM

you could do it with a scroll saw or band saw to cut the shape. but you would be using a tile/marble cutter diamond blade, it grinds away the material rather then chew it like a regular blade with teeth. then like they said before use a angle grinder with diamon blade to shape it. you could also use a hacksaw on lots, lots of elbow grease. again with the wire diamond blade rather then the teeth.

i also think having a shop do this will be very expensive. and those grips are going to be heavy as hell on a marker.

bloodwashed 08-09-2010 04:03 PM

I was thinking of something like this the other day. but after some time contemplating on how hard it would be to cut, grind, or chisel real stone I found out my boss throws out grip sized pieces of corian every once in a wile, and that stuff would be way easier to work with.

so I guess if you want the look of stone go with something like corian.

but if you really want stone it is possible but costly......if I were you I would sell the marble window sills (if they're in good shape) to a antique store, they're probably worth more than it would cost to make a pair of grips.