mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #51 (permalink)
Not Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
On another note, I'm surprised that nobody remembers the conversations just over a YEAR ago about the FS rounds... Der! It would never work. That's bogus. Testing proved that the FS rounds were superior to a regular ball, and I have little doubt that the SF will be the same.

Sniper fins weren't feasible for a totally different reason than theory that they didn't work. Their big issue is the same as FS rounds..... Feeding.
not many people doubted that they would work.
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Yea, I remember most arguments were about them being safe or not.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #53 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
From the video it doesnt look like these things spin. That would explain why they look like they are dropping off so quickly. If the fin only adds drag, and not axial spin, all it does is perhaps increase horizontal accuracy. I imagine it would reduce range if its not spinning.

In any case im interested to see how testing goes for these things. They're still cool.
Spin itself does not increase range. It only helps a projectile maintain a particular orientation (which by design is usually the most aerodynamic orientation). In these particular rounds, the fins themselves are designed to provide the stability to keep the orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
The most aerodynamic simple shape is the teardrop.

A paintball sheds the bulk of it's velocity due to vortex shedding around the rear half of the ball, creating a negative pressure zone behind the ball. If a paintball is more areodynamic, then it doesn't suffer from the same vortex tumbling, which means it maintains velocity for longer, and therefore flies further.

On another note, I'm surprised that nobody remembers the conversations just over a YEAR ago about the FS rounds... Der! It would never work. That's bogus. Testing proved that the FS rounds were superior to a regular ball, and I have little doubt that the SF will be the same.

Sniper fins weren't feasible for a totally different reason than theory that they didn't work. Their big issue is the same as FS rounds..... Feeding.
Correction in blue: Magnus Effect

Last year's big debate was .50 speed, range, etc. I know this because I worked on .50 analysis months after I finished FS round work. For my .50 work I received premium membership here, which just expired a week or two ago :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerpunk View Post
There was some resistance to the idea that FS rounds could perform as they were claimed. A surprising number (at least to me) of folks couldn't get their head around the fact that they were no heavier and more aerodynamic. As that hurdle was being crossed, other folks began to doubt their safety. Then came the debates on how they will or will not break down.

If everyone can wait until Punkworks does some dual chrono data collection, I'll be able to publish just what these rounds will be ballistically capable of.

My predictions right now are that if fired at the same velocity:
  • They will fly farther than a normal paintball and possibly farther an FS round
  • They will hit a target at the same range harder than a normal paintball and harder than an FS round
  • Possibly more accurate
These assertions do not account for usability issues (how well they can be attached to the paintballs, handling, etc).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #54 (permalink)

Some pictures of Damon's sniper gun:totally custom "Sniper" marker - PbNation
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rejected by Caelus

So, anyone gather more info on this stuff? Never got the chance to test them myself....

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/feedback/116955-gunraptors-feedback.html
GunRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #56 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I really can't tell what he's got going on with that gun other than he picked a really bad grip. Double finger trigger/frame on a revolver? I'm guessing it may be an electro based on the presence of what looks to be an LPR and microline on the stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor View Post
So, anyone gather more info on this stuff? Never got the chance to test them myself....
Punkworks on TechPB has purchased a bag of the fins, posted pics, and will be testing them. When they're done, I'll be doing some analysis.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
Rejected by Caelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I really can't tell what he's got going on with that gun other than he picked a really bad grip. Double finger trigger/frame on a revolver? I'm guessing it may be an electro based on the presence of what looks to be an LPR and microline on the stock.
The gun was broken in half at Tactical Paintball's Stalingrad 2010 last month. Everyone felt for him...

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/feedback/116955-gunraptors-feedback.html
GunRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerpunk View Post
Actually a good deal did.
Pulled to oldschool card and went "lol sniperballs didn't work and these won't either".
I actually had a hanfull of posts deleted for basically saying give Tiberius a chance, I doubt they are straight out lying.
Of couse when the independent data on them came out they shut right up real quick.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone