mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
Just kind of voicing my opinion on this. On other sites like PBN and TechPB I see a TON of threads about starting out or getting back in. You see this question all the time.

"I've been playing for a little while and I want my own gear. What do I buy?"

And the answer is most often

"Buy a mask. Get a rotor. Get a ninja tank. Get either the etek 3, axe or FX. Then Get these pants, this pack and these pads."

and then

"NO! Buy a used vice dood!"

My question is...do you need all that stuff to play paintball? I'm a minimalist. For me, a pump gun and a comfy mask is all that I need to play paintball.(See?)
https://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...IMG_6323-1.jpg

It just blows my mind to see everyone on an online forum suggesting $1k rigs for the new guys.

Point is this. Do you need a $500+ gun, $200+ in pads and apparel, a $170 hopper, and $150 tank to start out? Whenever I see someone say "I want some of my own gear. What's good?"

I always tell them

"Find a mask that fits you really well and get that one. Once you've done that, go to the local proshop an pick out what gun looks best and fits your fancy the most. My suggestion is the Azodin Kaos but use what works for you."

You can get a cheap tank and hopper for like $20, a nice
gun for around $100, and a good mask for $50 or so. You're now under $200 and quite frankly, a new guy won't really notice a difference in Co2 to air, a Revvy to a Rotor or a Blowback to a Timmy. Get my point?

Josh
I get the gist of what you're saying. However, to be fair, I would like to point out that at least on TechPB there is an intelligently written "Need a setup? Dont know what to get? Look Here!" thread stickied in the "Newbie Forum - Paintball 101" sub-forum. It starts off with a priority of equipment purchase (Mask-Hopper-Tank-gun), and recommendations for each based on price ranges. Then, Pod packs / Harnesses, followed by pads.

Unfortunately, there are just too many folks on the internet who:
- Never look at stickies
- Never read the original post before commenting on the last post in a thread
- Then, add all those issues RobertSR posted

Personally, I feel no sympathy for someone who gets bum gouge because he/she failed to even consider the stickies before asking random people on the internet for advice.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Stickies are good. From what I've seen they only cater to the hardcore speedballer though. Most communities like that are very far away from cheap advice.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

The responses to that question will vary forum to forum. I mean if you asked that on AO what would the response be? What about SpecOps or the Tippmann forum? They also vary by the responder and their own perspective on the sport.

The first response should simply be more questions because depending on area, style of play and other details no one can provide a reasonable answer. Anything else is just forcing a bunch of personal preference (and in some cases product specific advertising) on a complete stranger.

A mask is about the only common ground IMHO. A good quality comfortable mask should be the first investment for any new player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Agreed with that.

The funny thing on TechPB is that if Mike Phillips says something is good or bad, 95% of the forum agrees...One reason that I don't really read the TechPB forum much anymore.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I get the gist of what you're saying. However, to be fair, I would like to point out that at least on TechPB there is an intelligently written "Need a setup? Dont know what to get? Look Here!" thread stickied in the "Newbie Forum - Paintball 101" sub-forum. It starts off with a priority of equipment purchase (Mask-Hopper-Tank-gun), and recommendations for each based on price ranges. Then, Pod packs / Harnesses, followed by pads.

Unfortunately, there are just too many folks on the internet who:
- Never look at stickies
- Never read the original post before commenting on the last post in a thread
- Then, add all those issues RobertSR posted

Personally, I feel no sympathy for someone who gets bum gouge because he/she failed to even consider the stickies before asking random people on the internet for advice.
Stickies are grossly overrated. In most cases they're a generic and very impersonal way to handle common questions. In some cases they work ok but in general they're more of a brush off than good information anymore. Without having some indication of the player's wants / likes / play area and play style a generic sticky doesn't really cut it... especially when it's not updated regularly and contains a bunch of specific product references that are more about personal preference than anything.

While extremely outdated, this is the way you properly write up useful information.
rec.sport.paintball - FAQ and Guidelines for Posting

"4.1 Which Gun Should I Buy?

Buying that first paintball gun is a subjective decision that a player must make for himself. No single gun is going to please everyone. One
needs to become aware of features that are liked or disliked before a purchase is made. Posting a message asking which gun to buy will give
you a plethora of answers - none of which you can use. You need to find the gun that is best for you. The answers you will receive are the guns
that are best for them.

The recommendations most commonly given are to shoot as many different guns as possible and ask other players why they chose their gun. Most experienced players are even cool enough to let you take a couple of shots on the target range or even play a game with their gun. Also, make a list of features you want, then do some research to find the gun which has those features and is still in your price range. For example, I want a semi automatic gun with an upgradeable barrel, built in vertical adapter, and a reputation for durability for $350.

You can even use r.s.p. as a resource. But instead of asking "Which gun should I buy?" ask the question "How is the X-1 Paintblaster as a
starter gun?" Such a question will give you both the pros and the cons of a gun and be much more informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
tea, a cause and effect

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
Agreed with that.

The funny thing on TechPB is that if Mike Phillips says something is good or bad, 95% of the forum agrees...One reason that I don't really read the TechPB forum much anymore.
yea i see that a lot so i realy post there, but if a kid asks me when im next balling whats a good gun id say go to a shop e.g. justpaintball/bz and have a look (as atm im useing markers that are oldish e.g. evo x cocker, sniper1.5 etek1(aka the gun that always works when every thing else won't) phantom, soon a mag(or two if i start my project over easter) as online its get x then y then z and ignor the fact your at 1k down for a new player
So long as its under 18 and over 8 I dont care what it is really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef97 View Post
Oh boy...I love wood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
well - just like my sex life, I have taken matters into my own hands:
chadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Posting more than playing

One reason I am getting back into the game (other than the fact that I can actually afford it now...) is to have fun with walk ons/new players and give whatever true advice I can. I only play pump, buy everything used, don't blow $300 on a rare JT strap. I ware a freaking tie-dye shirt I made, and tiger stripe pants.
Comfy, non fogging mask and the essential pads is where its at and worth the investment. For me, those Empire slider pants are a genius invention. Scored a like new pair for $20.
But it sucks when people's first reaction to you is what "gun" you have and how you are dressed. Oh maaaan he is good, put him on our team! I suck, but do what I can.

MCB +42/-0
PBN +53/-0
eBay +447/-0
iamthelazerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

No matter what you buy it is always a good idea to have padding stuffed down your crotch.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Just for Shiggles

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killzor View Post
No matter what you buy it is always a good idea to have padding stuffed down your crotch.
That's a LIFE lesson, Gents.

On topic though, when a friend asks me for advice on starting out (because I'm apparently the Guru since I have a veritable arsenal compared to most of my friends), I tell them pretty much what everyone else has said, almost always followed by "We'll go play sometime. Don't worry about rentals I've got you covered."
I try to maintain at least one dedicated loaner setup for just those occasions. Nothing seems to put people off around here more than adding up the expenses for just a first day of play! Sure field fees aren't too bad, but our rentals around here are usually abused spyder clones that rarely top 240fps on a good day.
Of all of the paintball forums I've been to over the years, MCB has always stood apart as a group of individuals who feel a sense of duty to the sport. To educate and proliferate, with good sportsmanship and a healthy competitive spirit. That's what the game is about, regardless of what you shoot or what you wear, and that mantra should always be kept in mind when introducing new players to the sport!
FEEDBACK
Steam & Origin: Redivulpis
Redivulpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

my girlfriend is getting into the sport, here's what she's getting.

Lightly used events for 20$
Valken pants for 35$
Trilogy Autococker for 50$ (with pump kit for $30)
and I happen to have a few UL barrels, a spare revy, and 9oz for a tank.

Total cost to play paintball: ~$130, the pants will probably come later, she can use mine for now, so around ~100

This will do her, and me fine.
I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
scpaintballer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone