mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #101 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
Stating an opinion is one thing, attempting to change someones is different.
And changing your opinion multiple times in one thread as people point out issues with your logic or the incorrectness of your knowledge is yet again a different, yet relevant to this discussion, beast.

You will find that a good number of us here have been playing longer than you've been alive. We were there when the things you think you know about actually happened. The MCB community is not trying to disrespect you or "win" an argument with you; the purpose of the community is to educate. To do that means to confront misinformation and fuzzy thinking about the sport head on. This is a community that prides itself on NOT relying on hearsay, just passing on the latest gossip, or spouting off an opinion or supposed fact without some kind of evidence.

Rather than constantly jumping in with "advice" and "opinions" about things you don't have knowledge, experience of, or evidence for you might try sitting back and being amazed by how many people there are here who know things about stuff that you've never heard of. I've been on this site since the old forum (pre-2004), and I continue to learn new things here all the time. I'm not learning by typing, I'm learning by reading.

You are not judged here (at least positively) on your post count or on how many threads you are active on. There are many here, myself included, who lurk much more than post, and I don't feel any less a part of the community. This is not meant to be a discouragement against posting or contributing, just a pointing out that quality trumps quantity here, and there is much to be learned in the listening.

SSniper13
SSniper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #102 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSniper13 View Post
And changing your opinion multiple times in one thread as people point out issues with your logic or the incorrectness of your knowledge is yet again a different, yet relevant to this discussion, beast.

You will find that a good number of us here have been playing longer than you've been alive. We were there when the things you think you know about actually happened. The MCB community is not trying to disrespect you or "win" an argument with you; the purpose of the community is to educate. To do that means to confront misinformation and fuzzy thinking about the sport head on. This is a community that prides itself on NOT relying on hearsay, just passing on the latest gossip, or spouting off an opinion or supposed fact without some kind of evidence.

Rather than constantly jumping in with "advice" and "opinions" about things you don't have knowledge, experience of, or evidence for you might try sitting back and being amazed by how many people there are here who know things about stuff that you've never heard of. I've been on this site since the old forum (pre-2004), and I continue to learn new things here all the time. I'm not learning by typing, I'm learning by reading.

You are not judged here (at least positively) on your post count or on how many threads you are active on. There are many here, myself included, who lurk much more than post, and I don't feel any less a part of the community. This is not meant to be a discouragement against posting or contributing, just a pointing out that quality trumps quantity here, and there is much to be learned in the listening.

SSniper13
Yeah, I completely get that. I know most people on MCB consider me a nuisance because I post a lot, disagree with opinions a lot, and all that jazz.

I haven't changed my opinion on the matter at hand, I just found that the ION was a potentially good marker marketed at a group of players that needed a GOOD marker out of the package. If you'd reference my initial post here, and the rest, I've stood by that opinion.

And hey, if I learn something along the way, I'm cool with that. I'm open to hearing opinions, but I also feel that I've got a decent opinion as well. As far as new(ish) guns like the ION go, I've used nearly all of them a lot, so I've stood by my past and current experience on things.

With that said, the purpose of the thread was to find out why people didn't/don't like the ION. I left my opinion, which wasn't really up for debate as much as it was geared towards the OP. If this was a thread looking for facts, I'd be fine being called out if I left poor info, but it seems to me that my person opinions are being marked as invalid for some strange reason.

Moving on...
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #103 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Yeah, I completely get that. I know most people on MCB consider me a nuisance because I post a lot, disagree with opinions a lot, and all that jazz.

I left my opinion, which wasn't really up for debate as much as it was geared towards the OP. If this was a thread looking for facts, I'd be fine being called out if I left poor info, but it seems to me that my person opinions are being marked as invalid for some strange reason.

Moving on...
You've missed the point. I was not attempting to change or invalidate your opinion. I was giving you feedback about the wisdom of posting said opinions in the way that you do, and about viewing such discussions as this as something to be won or lost. You are neither the first nor the last person in this world (or on this forum) who will approach all discussions as battles, and who will shape their opinion by how well it fares in argument rather than how well it matches fact.

Calling something an opinion as an excuse for failing to fact check or as a cop-out for "I want to say whatever I want to say and don't want to be held accoutable for it" is an immature approach to adult discussion. When you move from facts to opinions is when evidence and reason become MORE not LESS important.

Consider these posts my attempt to model for you what we've been telling you to do with your friend. If I didn't think you have potential to be a valuable addition to MCB I wouldn't even bother wasting my time trying to reason with a teenager who would rather argue than think. As it is, I hope that in 6 months or a year (or 5 if you're really stubborn like I was ), you'll come back and re-read this and other of your early threads and shake your head.

SSniper13
SSniper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #104 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

LOL I'm already shaking my head. I tend to type faster than I think, sorry for that guys
Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #105 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Well im out of this thread. No point argueing with others opinions.
Quote:
Stating an opinion is one thing, attempting to change someones is different.
Quote:
Moving on...
Quote:
LOL I'm already shaking my head. I tend to type faster than I think, sorry for that guys

Dude, really. Let it sink in before you post. After you type something out, read it 2-3 times before clicking submit. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #106 (permalink)
Banned

i still don't like sp, nor ion, nor the people responsible for scaring aka into not releasing the evil m and agd into not producing any more xmags.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #107 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Dude, really. Let it sink in before you post. After you type something out, read it 2-3 times before clicking submit. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.
Yepp Yepp
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #108 (permalink)
Mr. Republican

Send a message via AIM to delta paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i still don't like sp, nor ion, nor the people responsible for scaring aka into not releasing the evil m and agd into not producing any more xmags.
What's this have to do with the topic at hand?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #109 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta paintball View Post
What's this have to do with the topic at hand?
Did you not read the thread? It is actually on topic.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #110 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Changing your opinion when confronted with evidence that was unknown to you or with opinions different than yours is not a sign of anything negative. It is a sign of intelligence coupled to a lack of experience and is not an issue.

The problem arises when people refuse to reconsider their own opinions when confronted with contradictary evidence or other well reasoned opinions.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone