mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Has anyone had an HPA tank fail at their field?

I notice that most fields I go to use self fill stations and don't check hydro dates. I have played for 11 years and never seen an HPA tank fail in any way. When my tanks get a few months out of hydro I want to get them tested just to feel better. I worked at a fire protection company that did hydro and one of the old timers said he had never seen a paintball tank fail testing (besides physical damage to the carbon which automatically failed them), only fire extinguishers and bulk tanks.

Has anyone had a tank fail at their field?
letstryscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I've heard of a steely 3k tank exploding, but fiber and aluminum tanks, seriously doubt it's possible considering how the tanks are rated.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

the explosions i hear about are only from idiots who oil their tanks.

but a responsible field should check hydro regardless.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Yes. I've had a fiber tank split.

It's loud.

Hydro dates are for DOT certification. If you're not taking a pressurized tank out on the highway, a visual inspection is your best friend...

In fact, forget the false sense of security that a DOT certification gives you, and ALWAYS give that tank a critical visual inspection.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
I am not a macodomy!!

Never seen a tank fail, regs.. oh yes. Visual inspection is a must with the fiber ones, my local field is pretty strict on checking the hydro dates. And knowing the abuse a tank can take on the field whether playing or being thrown down by a unhappy player due to marker malfunction or dare I say getting shot out by a noob I think that at least a test every few years is a must. We are lucky enough to have a place in town that hydros them for under $15 so isn't to big a deal every couple of years. Does that test mean the tanks safe for those few years, nope. Take that fancy cover off and check it while cleaning your gear is you best bet like alpha says.
caplucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Untitled

Closest I've seen is when a younger player couldnt get his rental tank out of his gun. This burly ref grabbed the tank and started twisting like crazy. Well, he was turning the reg out, not the tank. When he got it threaded most of the way out, BOOM! Peeled back the neck of the tank like a banana. It was a miracle that noone was hurt.
Hobbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I did that once, unscrewed the reg thinking I was unscrewing the tank. Luckily the reg had a safety hole, and it started venting halfway through, so no one got hurt.
Doubledutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Underdog? I got your back

Hydro testing always scares me. Think of this: aluminum and carbon and resin have relatively low fatigue resistance: IE. they don't spring back real well. So to make sure your tank is safe for the next three to five years, they stress the s**t out of it and then return it to you. The tanks only have a 15 year life as it is and are very overbuilt. Just something to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
Hydro testing always scares me. Think of this: aluminum and carbon and resin have relatively low fatigue resistance: IE. they don't spring back real well. So to make sure your tank is safe for the next three to five years, they stress the s**t out of it and then return it to you. The tanks only have a 15 year life as it is and are very overbuilt. Just something to think about.
Ive always had this same thought and feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Heard a steely split at wannaplay a couple years back. Tank itself failed. Man, that was loud.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone