mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #31 (permalink)

At the field last time i saw a renter trying to fill a 3K steel tank at the 4500 psi fill station.
I stopped him immediately (luckily he hadnt started to fill) and explained to him what he was about to do.
I also informed the ref and he also went over and talked to the renters.

Probably would have just blown the burst disk - but you never know
phaedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Post Whore

Or he could have just stopped at 3000psi ... our fields around here have one fill point, up to 4500psi and you stop at the pressure you need. Was the same deal the last time I played on the mainland as well.
I have no life, I'm just a dad in constant flux between baby naps and 8yr old tantrums.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

You want to sum up our horrible handling of HPA tanks in paintball. Take a scuba diver (or preferably someone who fills scuba tanks themselves) and invite them to a game. Let them watch how we handle and how we fill HPA tanks. Then ask them to play if they are still there. Chances are they will not be.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
Or he could have just stopped at 3000psi ... our fields around here have one fill point, up to 4500psi and you stop at the pressure you need. Was the same deal the last time I played on the mainland as well.
That's with the assumption the renter knows the capacity of the steel tank is 3000 PSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
most regs have a vent groove that makes the tank vent out when it is being unscrewed from the regulator.
The tank that killed the mother had a vent hole to prevent that exact situation.

It should never have happened, but lots of little mistakes led to that unfortunate death.

The tank itself came from catalina. The valves were made by NPS I think? And assembled in house.

Catalina recommends that loctite is -never-used, and instead proper torque should be used.

But the company setting up the tanks figured that if they used LOTS of loctite, then they didn't have to spend the extra 5 seconds to torque properly.

Fast forward a bit, and someone bought the tank, and had an anti-siphon installed. Then meant removing, and reinstalling the valve.

What they didn't realize was that the loctite that the original company used had completely sealed up the vent. And they also did not properly torque the valve to catalina specs.

So when the tank was crossthreaded, and they forced the tank as hard as they could, the valve seperated... and did not properly vent. Launched like a rocket, and someone died.

Irritatingly, the industry pushed for MORE loctite after this, even though it was the primary cause of the accident. They also pushed for a secondary vent, so most valves have both a hole, and a slot, even though this makes anti-siphons useless. (so, irrelevant to what caused the original problems)

Just goes to show- BE SAFE

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #36 (permalink)

It should be common knowledge to look at your tank when you're unscrewing and verify that it is in fact the valve coming out of the gun and not the tank threading off the valve.

I read that much on the warning label of my very first tank. That simple knowledge would've saved a life...

And, thanks for showing the Ninja stress test bottle. It further confirmed that Ninja is the brand I am to buy when I finally shell out for a 4500 tank. 3 times? I guess I need not worry the next time an air fill operator (my local field doesn't allow self fill) hands me my bottle back 100 psi over the limits of my tank...
BlueTrane2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
You want to sum up our horrible handling of HPA tanks in paintball. Take a scuba diver (or preferably someone who fills scuba tanks themselves) and invite them to a game. Let them watch how we handle and how we fill HPA tanks. Then ask them to play if they are still there. Chances are they will not be.
I'd be one of those guys .... Worked the fill banks for years, just dive now.
We just need to go a little slower is all on the fills ... Filling a dive tank doesn't take an hour, merely minutes, but the valve is opened in increments to meter the fill speed. We also filled to 3200psi hot so it would stabilize at 3000psi cold. And a quick top up after cooldown to ensure the proper fill pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntninja View Post
That's with the assumption the renter knows the capacity of the steel tank is 3000 PSI.
Renter should be stuck with CO2 ... especially if they aren't aware of the difference.
I have no life, I'm just a dad in constant flux between baby naps and 8yr old tantrums.

Last edited by Rockfrog; 04-03-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
I'd be one of those guys .... Worked the fill banks for years, just dive now.
We just need to go a little slower is all on the fills ... Filling a dive tank doesn't take an hour, merely minutes, but the valve is opened in increments to meter the fill speed. We also filled to 3200psi hot so it would stabilize at 3000psi cold. And a quick top up after cooldown to ensure the proper fill pressure.
I wish all the dive shops did this, it sucks starting a dive and saying "Well, I have 2300 PSI to begin with, so we should make this a quick one."

Valve caps people, valve caps!
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Here is the link to the thread over on PBN...

Hpa tank bursts into flame

I love the idiot in post 7... I feel sorry for that ego...
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Heart of a Sheridan!

Brass and Wood Fan
I work at a field, we mostly serve renters with 3000PSI HPA tanks, I have new found fear...........

To tell you the truth, I alway cringe every single time I fill a tank. Fun stuff!
PAINTBALL GUY 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone