mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #61 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
i've pretty much sworn off of scenarios, as lately i find them to be expensive and not much fun. i understand for some, they are an incredibly fun form of paintball, and of course i respect this. some people like speedball, some people like pump events, some people just like to go an mix it up during regular old rec play. to each his own.

this also goes for how seriously an event needs to be taken. some play as if there is almost everything on the line. some go out, shoot a few pods, come back to the pits and have a beer and hang out for the next three hours. again, to each his own.

one thing that cannot be denied: this particular individual seems to be at the center of some sort of mass drama virtually every few months. that's almost never a good thing.

my feedback
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #62 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer50505 View Post
Any game that allows people to play with rental equipment is not a competition. No matter how organized a scenario is and how well points are kept the majority of those people playing are there to shoot people and have no clue as to what the score is/ what the missions are/ even who the general and staff is. If yiu want a competition that isn't speedball its called the uwl. Any game that you shoot at kids and their parents who are out with rental equipment and jeans is not something to be taken like a serious competition
Well said in my opinion.
Aka "wagz" on the field
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Moderating From Above

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
It is always nice to see scenario clueless people comment on these things.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #64 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
No matter what you think about who is responsible for promoting or recruiting, a command role does entail a fair amount of work that someone has to do. If someone doesn't do it the game becomes kind of a mess, players enjoy it less, and in the end don't come back to a field or game producer. So having someone say they're going to fill that role, then not to has real world dollar implications.

As for "getting paid" to command, nobody gets a cut a check to come and general a game. Free entry and case of paint is nice but inconsequential, if you're lucky they'll put you up for the weekend so that it really does become a free weekend of play, and what player isn't all about that. The real "pay" is your reputation. Go out and do a good job and people notice, you start getting hookups at other fields and what not. Again you're not getting paid in a traditional sense but getting a discount on paint is money in your pocket compared to the rest of the poor schmucks coming and paying full price.
I have no do in this fight. If I had expected someone to do something and they had not done it I would have been annoyed. Had they waited until the last moment to tell me they were effectively not doing it I would have been bothered.

That being said see the underlined and bolded portion. You should not expect someone to do work for your business without compensation. Discounts do not count, in my opinion, as being paid. More to the point if I would not attend an event without being asked to (and receiving a discount) then its not really being paid. Chances are, from the sounds of the article, the general in question would not have attended the event if he had not been given the role. This means its not pay - its incentive to try to get him to attend.

Note: I can only guess who you are discussing and admit to not really being in the loop in regards to scenario play. That being said my point still stands that you should not expect someone to do something for your company without some type of legitimate compensation. The more important the role is the more problematic such an expecation becomes.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #65 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
It is always nice to see scenario clueless people comment on these things.
But there are usually quite a few scenario clueless people taking part in these events. Do they not have a right to have an opinion since they are a big part of the event?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #66 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
... CHAPPY for General!
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #67 (permalink)
MCB Member

I see the problems with the general, but in the end, the promoter and field owner suffer together, so they have to handle it regardless of the blame.

Different promoters handle side balancing (or not) differently. Some will let a popularity contest go on and let the sides end up where they may. This really bites when one general signs up early and recruits a lot of local talent. Local teams know the field and don't have to worry about travel time and trading paint money for room and board.

You can't work a field strategy without some teams to support it. Even if you don't promote, you need to know who you have to work with. That said, a good, unprepared general can still create a lot of tactical entertainment.

I've played with great generals and all the way down to absentee generals, and in games that were intentionally balanced and unbalanced (those are aggravating). Promoting as a general really helps show the teams that you will appreciate their help, as opposed to ignoring their efforts. You learn to play the game at hand, just like the teams that stood up and took control at the event in question.

But the hard core players are not the droids you are looking for. You need a commander for the new scenario players, the rec-ballers, and the walk-ons that showed up on Saturday morning looking for a game and find hundreds of players already at it. These are the people that just quit playing because they can't even make a dent in the opposition. These are the pool from which new scenario players will be pulled. Some promoters realize that they need to keep these people in the game. A little balance goes a long way with them. The bigger the event, the more important it is for there to be some structure. If the game gets jacked up with an organized side working over the remaining, scattered hard cores, the promoter should step in and get some structure back. It's no fun waiting in line to get a shot on one of the few remaining opposition. It's like playing against your own team mates; not as much fun as working together, but a lot better and challenging than having no one equivalent to play against.

Not that the game itself should be absolutely balanced, but in the end, you want the losing side to say "we" got beat, or better yet "we got beat?"

some things are stickier than others
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
Moderating From Above

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But there are usually quite a few scenario clueless people taking part in these events. Do they not have a right to have an opinion since they are a big part of the event?
What you are talking about and what is going on are two different worlds. We have people who know nothing of scenarios, everything that entails, and this event commenting as if they actually had a clue. Not active participants in the specific game airing grievances.

Two wholly different things.

Lets be perfectly clear, I never said anything about "rights".
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
rec poser

Everything else aside...(promotion,compensation,scenario "scoring" etc,etc,)..
...He didn't even show up! Lame.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #70 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphawk5 View Post
Everything else aside...(promotion,compensation,scenario "scoring" etc,etc,)..
...He didn't even show up! Lame.
Atleast he had a good reason... possible speeding tickets.

I think him not showing up was the whole point of the article, people are blowing the "role of the general" paragraph out of proportion.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone