mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brumski

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

I definitely agree with the socializing suggestions. As for a fun game format, bring back capture the flag if it's not already a thing.
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Paintball
Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/melvin.brumski

Things I would like to purchase with American dollars:
1: Dragon barrel plugs!

I moved across the country, if you live in Louisiana hit me up!

Last edited by Melvin; 12-22-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
I like cunningstunts

Hey guys,

I've really been enjoying these discussion threads that have been going on lately. Finally a more positive one.

I think that getting to know one another is a great idea. I second that. People say stuff on the internet that they would never say to someone they knew. Anonymity brings out the worst sometimes.

I'm pretty used to playing with a small turnout. We normally pick captains or something like that to balance the teams. I try to make a point of picking some renters first. The other captain usually follows the example. I've been the new guy, worried that I'll be the last pick. I think this can help. You can also play near the rental group for a game or two and make sure they aren't hiding at the back all game. Show them the ropes and they will surprise you.

I've only been playing for a few years. I can remember my first game. I didn't even see any enemies. I stupidly didn't realize that I could run to half field before I met any one from the other team. Anyway I just snuck around by myself until the horn blew. When the guys who brought me out to the game asked how my first round was, I answered honestly. "It was awesome". I didn't care at all that I didn't get a kill the rest of that day. So I'm not sure the K/D is so important to new players. It was a while before I ran into a guy who was overshooting me though. That might have been discouraging.

It's great that you guys are starting these discussions but in the end, each person will need to do their part. The game pretty much runs on the honour system.
spikeBasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300z View Post
I also should have mentioned - Stilgar runs a Gravity league pump tourny 3 times a season, and I run a stock class game at least twice a season.

We also have a tactical tournament which I want to try and throw some novel ideas into.

Interesting practical game formats would also be great to her from you guys.
That reminds me, I need to start my planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
Personally I avoid tournaments. Nothing ruins a fun game of paintball more than making it a serious competition. Perhaps I'm the exception.
You haven't played one of my tournies.

The biggest prize is bragging rights. I toss in silly prizes from the dollar store and we write the winners name on a post it note and tape it to a trophy. Lol

The entire name of the game is fun.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
You haven't played one of my tournies.

The biggest prize is bragging rights. I toss in silly prizes from the dollar store and we write the winners name on a post it note and tape it to a trophy. Lol

The entire name of the game is fun.
Our West Coast Pump Weekend tournaments were like that. It was all about bun. Prizes were engraved glass beer mugs and the whole weekend had as much to do with socializing as playing paintball.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Maybe have some training/coaching sessions for new/young players so they feel better equipped.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Training/Coaching/Tips would be good. Like some of the paintball 101 videos on youtube. Basics like aiming, calling out where enemies are, basic strategy, using cover.

The local field has pump days, some of us loan pumps out for people to use. We usually try to tech peoples guns if they are having simple issues.

How about a rental cup? You can have a beginner and open division. All players must use a rental marker with supplied paint to keep things fairly even. Limited paint tourney? One on on with 10-20 rounds?
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
ive been thinking of this as well and i think it would be a blast. we dont play a ton of semi, so this is definitely an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1 View Post
How about a rental cup? You can have a beginner and open division. All players must use a rental marker with supplied paint to keep things fairly even. Limited paint tourney? One on on with 10-20 rounds?
300z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
Ninja Dave has a really interesting 2 man limited paint format. I think it's 10 rounds per person and 2v2 on a speed ball field with no limit on equipment
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
RLTW

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I really like the clinic idea, but I think it would need to happen between points. Teach a skill or technique between games for about 5 minutes and encourage the players to practice the technique the next game. Make it voluntary and watch as the renters push each other to be better players. I bet participation would be fairly high as guys look to be better than their buddy.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
the more i read these suggestions the more i think we could do more in terms of teaching.The only problem I have with it is that teaching and paintball can be a sensitive topic. ive always kind of adopted a "if they want help they will ask" in order to not step on any toes. Nothing would be worse than trying to help, the guy not taking it in stride and he feels offended. obviously this would need to be done the right way, and at the right time.

With respect to renters though, ya i think its a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearns View Post
I really like the clinic idea, but I think it would need to happen between points. Teach a skill or technique between games for about 5 minutes and encourage the players to practice the technique the next game. Make it voluntary and watch as the renters push each other to be better players. I bet participation would be fairly high as guys look to be better than their buddy.
300z is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone