mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Biggest thing I've found that makes a positive difference in paintball is adding game targets that aren't eliminations. Get people back out playing centerflag, for example, so that there's a focus beyond getting as many eliminations as possible, and it becomes a lot less hostile game.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Biggest thing I've found that makes a positive difference in paintball is adding game targets that aren't eliminations. Get people back out playing centerflag, for example, so that there's a focus beyond getting as many eliminations as possible, and it becomes a lot less hostile game.
Reading these threads lately, I'm getting a feeling that a lot of fields play straight elimination. Is that so? Don't most rec fields play games like Capture the Flag, Attack & Defend, VIP, Plant the Bomb, suff like that? I would find it quite boring to just play elimination all day, so please tell me fields aren't doing this.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
indeed that is the case at our field.

What we started to notice this season was that people adopted the mentality that they would rather stalemate than actually win (after a 30 minute game). some players were very clearly no longer playing for a team victory, but were looking to maximize eliminations at all costs even if it meant staying inactive when it would cost the team a loss. it became a significant problem, and really hurt morale. "i know my opponent is going to camp all game, so why should i take the risk to advance" soon followed.

One of our solutions to combat this is to introduce capture the flag and similar game formats along with 10 minute games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Reading these threads lately, I'm getting a feeling that a lot of fields play straight elimination. Is that so? Don't most rec fields play games like Capture the Flag, Attack & Defend, VIP, Plant the Bomb, suff like that? I would find it quite boring to just play elimination all day, so please tell me fields aren't doing this.

Last edited by 300z; 12-23-2014 at 11:34 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Most fields I played at in the last couple of years were elimination 90% of the time. I do like elimination rounds and am not a big fan of respawns on small fields with less than 20min games. I feel like respawns can potentially take away any advantage I made after a daring play or great shot. "Yeah, I bumped up field after flanking 5 guys, but now all five of them are guarding the flag... poo." Also respawns often seem to be the field's way of getting more paint shot, depending on their business model. I mean 20 mins of shoot until you run out or can't take the pain. Who wins? the guy selling paint. I still play those games most of the time, but don't like them and really stretch my paint far during those times.

I will concede early game limited reinsertion could be a valid way to keep enjoyment up for new players. I could live with that, just don't like continual respawns unless scenario or big game format.

The best fields I think do incorporate other styles. Attack and defend is always fun with a Castle/fort. Some sort of objective to reach to "kill" the whole castle. Capture the flag is also fun. Mid flag can be a bear depending on the field as it is rare for people to make a move until the teams have thinned out sufficiently. Mad rushes sometimes work and are brag worthy when they do, but they are rare in my experiences. Mostly thinking of mid flag, push the flag to their base type games. Pull games are usually quicker.

AM Sentinel and ION MAXD for sale
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ml#post3318647

Misc Sale: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...yder-more.html

wanted:
Parts: Left feed sterling body/whole gun spyder threads preferred.
James_Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
I can't speak for everywhere, but all the fields left around here are playing elimination only on fields about the size of a standard PSP field.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
I can't speak for everywhere, but all the fields left around here are playing elimination only on fields about the size of a standard PSP field.
I can see straight elimination on small speedball type fields because there really isn't much room for trying to accomplish other objectives and let's face it, the team that hangs the flag on a speedball field almost always has eliminated all the opposing players to allow the hang anyway.

But on larger fields, especially in today's environment where paintball fields' biggest competition might arguably be video games filled with objectives, why on earth would they play just elimination?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Implement a "two strike" system. Chappy mentioned this in another thread. Players who have their cards punched at large events usually clean up their act. Punching a players card is a meaningful warning that can, at least in theory, result in ejection for the day or event.

By implementing and USING a meaningful warning system players will become of where the line of acceptable behavior is. By allowing a "two strike" system you will be able to define the line with less likelihood of actually ejecting a player and having the negative feelings of it.

Let me give you an example, and no its not exactly one of my shining moments:

We were playing a tournament and the reffing staff was, at least some of it, very inexperienced. I was leaning against a bunker and had a ball break on the bunker and spray my hopper. The ref ran over and told me I was hit on the hopper. I told him it was spray and turned my hopper to show it to him. He said he thought it was a hit. I very obviously wiped it off to end the argument, told him it was spray, and continued playing.

What should have happened: The ref should have immediately pulled me and assessed the penalty for playing on. I would have accepted the penalty without a lot of hard feelings and gotten over it. IIRC it was a somewhat tactical decision to take the risk at the time because of how the game was unfolding - the risk was worth the potential reward if one is to consider only field Xs and Os (I regret the action now) It was a judgement call and somehow I let my judgement and personality override that of the ref.

After the game the head ref came over. We had lost the game and I had failed to get any eliminations so its not like he could simply reverse the outcome or adjust the scores. He could have penalized us for the next game. He could have, and likely should have, ejected me from the tournament. However we discussed it, decided it was a judgement call, and he let it stand - despite that my judgement call had been different than the refs.

Had he issued a warning it would have gotten our attention. Had he "punched" a card he would have really had our attention. The lack of meaningful action.... I would like to say the conduct of the team improved after that point during the day. it did not. I had pushed any reasonable line and there was no indication given that there was any line that would be enforced.

It was, in hindsight, a deplorable action on my part and on all of ours the rest of the day. I take full accountability for it. You want to know how you make positive changes. Let players know where the lines are.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Run all your games as 2 flag games (a flag at each base). Elimination only games are the WORST idea for newer/rental players.

For each player that hangs the flag for their teams win, they get a medal type thing they can pin on them somewhere. (something cheap, plastic, and small, like a star)

It goes A LONG WAY to encourage and reward noobs to come back. Gives them a sense of pride and accomplishment. THEY WON THE GAME!!! type thing.

My old field did this. worked REALLY well.
I loved it cause as a non Noob, i made sure a Noob hung the flag every time I was involved with the flag. I make stuff up like I would have to "cover' them as they hung it. Or they were quicker than I was, so they should bring the flag back. Stuff like that so they didnt realize i was making them a charity case
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
The ones around here generally hang a token flag for speedball which is largely ignored. In woodsball there is generally an air-horn in the opposing base - blowing it ends the game. While it is not entirely ignored it is basic elimination of at least a large part of the field to get to it. Normally by the time the horn is sounded there are so few of the losing team left on the field that elimination was virtually assured anyways.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
We volunteer to run games at our local field, to keep things fun we ditch the scoring just to eliminate the competitive nature of some. There's still objectives, but it's usually something silly.
For example, last halloween we put on a game where people were capturing a "king of the hill" style objective that contained lanterns filled with candy for them to take. But guarding them was a very angry, invincible, honey badger with a bow (me! ).

Similarly this Xmas, we're putting on a game where one of the rounds will see two teams trying to decorate a tree; sounds easy enough, but there's gonna be a neutral elf moving the damn thing about, distracting players with crackers/candy canes and generally being a pain in the arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone