mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
Positive ideas for making a positive paintball experience

Hi guys,

last summer, I made a conscious effort to have a positive influence at the local field. I came up with a few ideas like:

(1)working/improving fields to make things new and exciting
(2)Run stock class events to switch things up and keep things fresh
(3)prizes for events/participation.

i am thinking of doing some kind of raffle with the proceeds going towards future events/ideas.

What I would like to poll everyone for is short and concise ideas for making positive impacts in the experience at your local field. This can be as simple as "lead by example"/volunteer ref to anything. How to keep paintball fun, keep your regulars coming back, and attract new comers.

Thanks!
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Encourage a sense of community and giving by doing charity games to donate to homeless shelters, veteran's organizations, or families with medical needs. Give the younger players a sense of what it should be like to take care of others and encourage them to work for more than themselves. Could be done with raffles, car washes manned by the players at/near the field for the parents dropping off other players, or donations...or a combination of many things.

Hopper ball!

A prize, maybe a bag of paint, given to the player that displays the day's best act of sportsmanship.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
I actually like this idea - either nominating a player for sportsmanship or performance every walk on day for the season. Tally it up at the end of the year and determine a Most Valuable/sportsmanship player type thing with a prize!

Thanks for your input! Any other fun gameformats or ideas please post up guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
A prize, maybe a bag of paint, given to the player that displays the day's best act of sportsmanship.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I mentioned it in another thread but I will throw it out here as well. Rec/walk on ball incorporating respawns like in scenario play. A player on the field playing is a happy customer.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I know there are insurance issues for commercial fields, but the best way to encourage community is to allow and encourage socialization during & after the game. A few beers and some conversation after a game encourages players to see each other as people, not just targets. Outlaw does this well, as does EMR (at least in my limited experience there). Make a day of paintball more than just what happens on the field.

Edit: Done well, even a "forced" lunch break can give folks an excuse to start talking to each other and beginning the roots of a community, particularly if you do something like a bonfire or cheap burgers & dogs.

Last edited by Dave Cameron; 12-22-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Dave makes a great point about socialization. Getting everyone to know each other makes a big difference. Maybe something as simple as a quick meet and greet before the games start, at least for small recball groups, might make a difference.
A Fe years back, BretG did an attack defend mini scenario at wannaplay. There were 3 teams. 1 team would defend while the other 2 attacked together. Each team defended once on each field. So as the day went on you played on the same team, as well as against, everyone else. It changed the dynamic of how teams treated each other, because you were going to be on there team again soon...
Folks talk a lot about how they prefer to play in private groups because it limits asshats. But I feel they overlook the fact that some of those folks might be an asshat if they weren't in a private group...

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
all work

I'm with Dave on this as well. Personal interaction begets personal responsibility. Players are less inclined to mistreat someone they just shared a beer and a laugh with. I think that is what makes outlaw ball great. I've never seen that sort of comaraderie at any walk on game... well except for perhaps Sunday afternoon at CQB (RIP).

Stock class games or any game type that appeals to a player subset i.e. mag-fed, pump or pistol are sure to bring like minded players together. It helps people feel a connection when they share a passion and have equipment parity. I don't think this will do much for new players, but the seasoned old timers will appreciate such events.

Perhaps discount coupons for a nearby pub? Surely some other local business would like an opportunity to capitalize on a paintball field operator's customer base. It would help encourage the players to meet up after a game without causing liability issues for the field owner/operator.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
ya our field team analyzed this a lot. We have instituted a 10 minute game timer to get games moving and people actually playing games. I dont know how I feel with respawns, but i feel a 10 minute game timer helps. last season we definitely ran into those long games where people were just sitting on the side lines.

we also tinkered with bomb plant missions which i want to expand on this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
I mentioned it in another thread but I will throw it out here as well. Rec/walk on ball incorporating respawns like in scenario play. A player on the field playing is a happy customer.
We actually have a very "boys club" type feel as we have a regular pump crowd of around 20 people. We chat and shoot the **** all day long. Usually after a day (we play from around 10-4, everyone is absolutely beat and heads home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cameron View Post
I know there are insurance issues for commercial fields, but the best way to encourage community is to allow and encourage socialization during & after the game. A few beers and some conversation after a game encourages players to see each other as people, not just targets. Outlaw does this well, as does EMR (at least in my limited experience there). Make a day of paintball more than just what happens on the field.

Edit: Done well, even a "forced" lunch break can give folks an excuse to start talking to each other and beginning the roots of a community, particularly if you do something like a bonfire or cheap burgers & dogs.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
I also should have mentioned - Stilgar runs a Gravity league pump tourny 3 times a season, and I run a stock class game at least twice a season.

We also have a tactical tournament which I want to try and throw some novel ideas into.

Interesting practical game formats would also be great to her from you guys.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
all work

Personally I avoid tournaments. Nothing ruins a fun game of paintball more than making it a serious competition. Perhaps I'm the exception.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone