mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

One thing that is bound to happen (and arguably already has happened) is that the quality of players and teams will deteriorate with the cutback of funding.

Ultimately, in professional sports, players are paid to be full time athletes. They spend a lot of time practicing and playing (it's their full time job afterall). The less money that is available to pay or give to players, the less time they can afford to practice and play. It only makes sense. For instance in paintball, if players were given enough funds so they only needed part time real jobs, they could practice more than if they had to have full time jobs to pay their way through life. If they got enough funds so they wouldn't have to have a real job at all, they would have more time to practice and play and their skills would improve.

So as sponsorship money gets pulled back, the quality of the players will degenerate. There will always be exceptions, but the average will drop.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Competitive and professional paintball take their tole on you. . . . I practiced every weekend, sometimes 2 or 3 days a week, plus travel and all that jazz. To do that for a long period of time is hard on you . . .
You have the spot on!

We practiced twice a week year round. Even in the winter up here. Paintball on the weekend, drills on tuesdays at an indoor reball place (because that's all we had).

We flew all around the country, put up will a lot of BS in the NPPL, but met a lot of great people and teams. A lot of those people and teams are awesome. Sadly it only takes one team with an attitude to give everyone a bad name. But I digress...

All in all it burned a lot of us out, and our pocket books were run dry.

The current way tournament paintball is set up will always lead to failure. The system needs to change.

Tournament paintball needs to change to regional tournaments. The winners of those regional tournaments, then move on to the invite only world / national tournament. The national tournament every year moves to a different region making it as fair as possible on who has to travel.

There is no reason why I should be able to show up at PSP world cup, having never payed at any other PSP event, win and be able to call myself a world champ.

And on the flip side, using a points system, the person with the most points isn't the one that wins, it's the one with the most money. Teams in the NPPL on the final Vegas podium were rarely the ones the won. Just the ones that showed up the most. (here I'm not talking about the 'pro' division, as far as I'm concerned the 'pro' division is dead. I've seen better players than those in the pros, but they don't play for them because that travel doesn't suit their real life style).

If you make it regional, you're going to find some amazing players come out of the shadows. You know they're out there and played against them, I know they're there too. People that would put any of whom we call a pro paintball player to shame. Those are the real players. So kill the traveling circus that we have now that is tournament paintball. Make it regional. Kill any pro (coughed up the most money) division. Instead break it out by guns. Uncapped division, semi, and a pump division. Something like that.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on how to fix it. We all know it's broken, but I never see any suggestions on how to fix it.

Oh, and how to get it started? Get fields to work together. Places like PEVs or Boston Paintball to start up their own region... Or maybe each field IS their own region. So what if there is 20 different fields across the country. The more, the less travel. Then you'll have 20 of the best teams invited to the national final. Take the top two andy you'll have 40 teams.

Anyhow, that's how I'd fix it. Qualified fields get recurring business, more players would be able to join up with more incentive, the national version once a year wouldn't look like a joke. Ok my work is done here.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
The current way tournament paintball is set up will always lead to failure. The system needs to change.

Tournament paintball needs to change to regional tournaments. The winners of those regional tournaments, then move on to the invite only world / national tournament. The national tournament every year moves to a different region making it as fair as possible on who has to travel.

There is no reason why I should be able to show up at PSP world cup, having never payed at any other PSP event, win and be able to call myself a world champ.

And on the flip side, using a points system, the person with the most points isn't the one that wins, it's the one with the most money. Teams in the NPPL on the final Vegas podium were rarely the ones the won. Just the ones that showed up the most. (here I'm not talking about the 'pro' division, as far as I'm concerned the 'pro' division is dead. I've seen better players than those in the pros, but they don't play for them because that travel doesn't suit their real life style).

If you make it regional, you're going to find some amazing players come out of the shadows. You know they're out there and played against them, I know they're there too. People that would put any of whom we call a pro paintball player to shame. Those are the real players. So kill the traveling circus that we have now that is tournament paintball. Make it regional. Kill any pro (coughed up the most money) division. Instead break it out by guns. Uncapped division, semi, and a pump division. Something like that.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on how to fix it. We all know it's broken, but I never see any suggestions on how to fix it.

Oh, and how to get it started? Get fields to work together. Places like PEVs or Boston Paintball to start up their own region... Or maybe each field IS their own region. So what if there is 20 different fields across the country. The more, the less travel. Then you'll have 20 of the best teams invited to the national final. Take the top two andy you'll have 40 teams.

Anyhow, that's how I'd fix it. Qualified fields get recurring business, more players would be able to join up with more incentive, the national version once a year wouldn't look like a joke. Ok my work is done here.
I've been saying more or less the same thing for years. Part of the fees paid at the regionals are used to pay for the winner's travel costs to the National Championships so those teams can afford to go.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Painthappy, that's what I've wanted to see for a long time. I don't know why all the regional events are excluded from the psp events.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Painthappy's plan looks reasonable. Only questions or issues I could see is if a proportionately large amount of the current "pro" teams tend to come from a certain region? I honestly have zero idea as I have never watched or participated in a tournament or cared to so I have no idea where they tend to come from. I could just see sponsors getting pissed if they are mostly from a certain region and all their sponsored teams get bumped from a world tournament because only one or two teams from their region can go. In a way PB nationalstourneys sound a lot like Cheerleading tournaments where essentially as long as you can get there and fork up the money, you can vie for a national "title".
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Tampa Bay Damage just folded, that leaves 6 remaining pro teams. I imagine the officials of PSP are sweating a little.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
That's a big shock. I know a lot of those guys. This comes totally unexpected.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

wow. This is crazy. I wonder if the stories of the sponsorships drying up are actually true.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

..........or they don't want to play under the new rules.
No Have MSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Have MSG View Post
..........or they don't want to play under the new rules.
I suspect this is not the issue.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone