mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you use first strike rounds?
I do not use FSR and would not play at a field that allowed them 19 13.87%
I do not use FSR and don't care if others use them 83 60.58%
I use FSR on occasion - likely about 20% of my play time or less 21 15.33%
I use FSR for about half of my play 5 3.65%
I use FSR primarily - likely about 80% of my play time or more 1 0.73%
I use FSR nearly exclusively but would use traditional rounds if not allowed at the venue 2 1.46%
I use FSR nearly exclusively and would not play at a venue that does not allow them 6 4.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #131 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
why is it such a big deal?

Because it has the potential to significantly alter the game and as such warrants discussion and possible limitation through rules.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #132 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Obviously it's better to be bunkered by a space dildo on ramp.

That is a poorly constructed straw man

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #133 (permalink)
Has ridges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Accuracy by volume is not accuracy. It was a term used to denote inherent lack of accuracy. An inherent flaw in round paint that FSR have, to a large degree, overcome
Does it make much difference if you spend 100 rounds on a player or just 1?

The outcome is the same. One choice seems less wasteful and more graceful.

... And definitely more skill-based.

Did you just make a sound argument FOR first strike???

TPX
Ruffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #134 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Obvious troll is obvious.

Lohman, which is better for the new player on the receiving end, being one balled with a FSR or being hit with 5-10 balls by a user using a Flatline or Apex at the same distance?
Quote:
Do FSR allow players to engage players beyond the range of traditional round paint?

Do FSR allow players to engage targets with a degree of accuracy beyond round paint?
Stop deflecting if you're truly trying to figure out what we agree on. Answer the question.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #135 (permalink)
Has ridges...

I definitely appreciate the rush to seek regulation against change. That's going to be my favorite hobby when I'm 90.

TPX
Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #136 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Because it has the potential to significantly alter the game and as such warrants discussion and possible limitation through rules.
we've just told you it doesn't significantly alter the game.

I'm a way more dangerous player with an electro and 1500 rounds of paint on my butt than I am with my sr1 or m17 with 50-100 first strike rounds on me.

if you're 100 yards out just run from cover to cover nobody is going to hit you with a first strike round.

First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #137 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffle View Post
Does it make much difference if you spend 100 rounds on a player or just 1?

The outcome is the same. One choice seems less wasteful and more graceful.

... And definitely more skill-based.

Did you just make a sound argument FOR first strike???
Especially when you fire nine shots for every one shot in regards to cost, at least 25:1 in regards to on gun capacity, and at least five to one in regards to carrying capacity (assuming only four 120rd pods), and at least 5-7/sec vs 1-3/sec.

Quote:
...First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
Sig Worthy IMHO
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #138 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I'd rather be hit by a single FSR than multiple traditional round balls. That seems like a false dilemma.

I am not against the inclusion of FSR. I am against the inclusion of them as "just another paintball". I'm not certain I accept the argument that FSR do not have the potential to significantly alter the game.

If the choice is FSR and reducing paint in the air by 90 percent its a great choice but I'm not sure that the choice is that simple.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #139 (permalink)
Has ridges...

Quote:
I'd rather be hit by a single FSR than multiple traditional round balls. That seems like a false dilemma.

I am not against the inclusion of FSR. I am against the inclusion of them as "just another paintball". I'm not certain I accept the argument that FSR do not have the potential to significantly alter the game.

If the choice is FSR and reducing paint in the air by 90 percent its a great choice but I'm not sure that the choice is that simple.
You're right. The choice isn't simple at all. The choice is a function of ever-growing complexity within the game we play.

But that complexity is what draws players in. Choosing your adversity and struggling to overcoming it.

TPX
Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #140 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffle View Post
You're right. The choice isn't simple at all. The choice is a function of ever-growing complexity within the game we play.

But that complexity is what draws players in. Choosing your adversity and struggling to overcoming it.

That implies that players may chose their level of adversity. It seems to me that you can only chose the level of adversity your opponents face

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone