mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I made a shield while reffing - frame of PVC pipe and then field netting for the body. Impractical for reffing (only handy off the break when you were behind players) but would be handy for such a game
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
So we're doing this!

We're going to be doing our first game soon, so far the only limitations we have is: 6 square feet for the shield, no windows but cutouts on the side are acceptable. Markers are limited paint only (pumps + pistols) but we're trying to figure out a limitation for people who just have normal semi autos but want to play... My initial thought was hand feed, single ball at a time, but since most pistols are semi as well then maybe limit to 10 round tube feed?

We'll probably end up having to adjust rules as we go, but this should make for a good first game!
Redbeard the Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

I'd say just limit to pistols. If they're really a small pump and less paint-limited, mag fed semi pistol, they'll be limited by how fast they can pump it with one arm hold a shield, and an unlimited pump pistol will still be big and unwieldy with tank and a hopper behind a shield. Shield hits shouldn't count, but everything else (gun, leg, arm, etc) should still count.

Sounds like it's going to be lots of fun, please post pics and vids, if possible.

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Watch this space for an upcoming sale and in the meantime, check out my my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to ECAPNation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Shields in general are a bad idea..... Man up, take the hit, and play some real paintball.
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
ECAPNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Shields in general are a bad idea..... Man up, take the hit, and play some real paintball.
If used in limited numbers and with certain restrictions (size, gun type, etc.) shields can add an interesting element to scenario games, especially when a shield carrier works and moves in tandem with a normal player in advancing on a fortified position.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to ECAPNation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
We've tried it locally and ended up with very very very angry players.
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
ECAPNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

A shielded player is a tank on our field, but needs another player as gunner to shoot. It can be killed two ways, from behind or gog the vision slot, that is unless the driver rises his head up and gets shot.

V
gustovh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

I have a clear lexan shield, IIRC its 2'x3', I used straps to mount it to my forearm so I could still use my hand on my shield arm but found that:
-even with my hand free it was still really awkward to reload mags on my pistol and grabbing mags off my body with the shield arm was equally awkward. pumping would be supper tricky, maybe with a hitman mod or something so it could be done with the same hand your holding the marker with.
-while having a clear shield was nice it got caked with paint pretty quickly and that aspect quickly faded, even with a squeegee to clean off the shield it was had to see through, perhaps coating the shield in some rainx or something would have helped
-I found the best way to shoot from the shield while maintaining cover was to rest the shield on a ledge line up my shot then tip the shild back so I could fire off my shot between the ledge and bottom of the shield (paint coming at you is at an arched trajectory so your best shooting out the bottom to block incoming paint from coming over the top)
-like Big old School said it can cause a lot of hurt feelings and aggravated players, I once had some *** hat light me up while I was in an area with no cover (he hit my legs) so I called myself out and went to lower the shield while raising my marker and as soon as I lowered my shield he would open up at my body so I raised the shield back up to block his ropes while I left my marker up and yelled (each time louder then the last) out before attempting to lower my shield but he would just light me up whenever I tried to lower the shield causing me to loose my **** after about my third or fourth attempt to call myself out I decided to just hide behind the shield while unloading what was left of my 400rnd hopper on this guy and walked toward him getting well within the 20' threshold, so ya shields can easily cause frustration on both sides and I know two *** hats don't make a right but I was getting frustrated that he would not let me walk off without taking as many bonus balls as he could squeeze in.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

This sounds fun it will be interesting to see how it works out when everyone has a shield.

Will gun hits count?

I'd love to see a video, hopefully someone makes one.

Moses688_Feedback
Moses688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
-like Big old School said it can cause a lot of hurt feelings and aggravated players, I once had some *** hat light me up while I was in an area with no cover (he hit my legs) so I called myself out and went to lower the shield while raising my marker and as soon as I lowered my shield he would open up at my body so I raised the shield back up to block his ropes while I left my marker up and yelled (each time louder then the last) out before attempting to lower my shield but he would just light me up whenever I tried to lower the shield causing me to loose my **** after about my third or fourth attempt to call myself out I decided to just hide behind the shield while unloading what was left of my 400rnd hopper on this guy and walked toward him getting well within the 20' threshold, so ya shields can easily cause frustration on both sides and I know two *** hats don't make a right but I was getting frustrated that he would not let me walk off without taking as many bonus balls as he could squeeze in.
Didn't get it as bad as that but someone was shooting me while I clearly had my arm up, even a ref was yelling to stop. Theres a** holes everywere, someone on my own team decided to shoot me in the back of the head in the respawn area then act all non-challant when I turned around just another coward, I just spawned again right there. Taking a shield is taking a chance but its fun no mater what, and for taking the hit you don't want to be taking all the paint heading your way without a shield when you see how much is caked on it. Still normal play if its on your body or gun even with a shield up your still out, just have to be a good shot or outflank them

Music Videos - Check out my channel
NEW: Write it Down
Walk Away
ragu is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone