mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

(Not) Knowing Your Marker...

After a local scenario this past Sunday, an issue I've seen before reared its ugly head, forcing me to question once again:

HOW does one purchase a marker, go to the field, and have ZERO idea how to adjust the velocity?

Saw a guy struggling with a "newer" (post 2k, probably a Trilogy but I'm not great with my cocker ID's) autococker at the chrono station. He's in a panic because he keeps adjusting the HPR to change the velocity and can't understand why his marker won't cycle now. I suggested to him putting the reg back up to where it would cycle and then adjusting the IVG.

"What's that?"

I tried to help him but eventually lost patience and got on the field. Don't know if he ever got it running again. I felt bad but at the same time, this is basics. I can understand if a person doesn't know how to tear the whole gun down and put it back together, but velocity adjustments? I've even seem Tippman 98/A5 owners who didn't even know where the adjustment screw WAS. I don't get it. Is it just me?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I can understand if a person doesn't know how to tear the whole gun down and put it back together, but velocity adjustments? I've even seem Tippman 98/A5 owners who didn't even know where the adjustment screw WAS. I don't get it. Is it just me?
I've met people who thought they were G-d's gift to paintball with decked out tippmanns who didn't even know you could adjust velocity, let alone why or how...

Its amazing to me how many people run there guns until they stop working and either buy a new gun or quit playing.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Very Bork.

I see this everytime i get to the field, and its not jsut the people with a new gun on their first outing, its more then often people who have played for months and just dont care enough to learn.

I am somewhat well know amongst the local crowd as a fixer, so i usually start counting the seconds from me getting in line at the chrono until somebody wanting my help fixing something. I rarely get to count to more then 30
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Where's Tug Contest Winner

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Its amazing to me how many people run there guns until they stop working and either buy a new gun or quit playing.
And when they quit working, they still want $150+ for their crusty old Spyder on Craigslist.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I see this a lot with the mid-range crowd. I have worked on so may Etha, Etek, Axe, Mini, Drone, Rails, ect to count. A lot of them jump into the game and have some cash, so they buy flashy stuff and can't maintain it.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
After a local scenario this past Sunday, an issue I've seen before reared its ugly head, forcing me to question once again:

HOW does one purchase a marker, go to the field, and have ZERO idea how to adjust the velocity?

Saw a guy struggling with a "newer" (post 2k, probably a Trilogy but I'm not great with my cocker ID's) autococker at the chrono station. He's in a panic because he keeps adjusting the HPR to change the velocity and can't understand why his marker won't cycle now. I suggested to him putting the reg back up to where it would cycle and then adjusting the IVG.

"What's that?"

I tried to help him but eventually lost patience and got on the field. Don't know if he ever got it running again. I felt bad but at the same time, this is basics. I can understand if a person doesn't know how to tear the whole gun down and put it back together, but velocity adjustments? I've even seem Tippman 98/A5 owners who didn't even know where the adjustment screw WAS. I don't get it. Is it just me?
LOL, try being the chrono ref sometime. You get to see them all.

The worst one I've ever had was a newbie trying to use a parts sniper that his friend put together and handed to him for the game, without testing it out. Friend was nowhere around and newbie knew nothing about the marker. The cocking lug and rod were both off and the reg was way off its sweetspot with a mild leak. Since he was using air and just wanted to get on the field, we got the hammer to catch enough to test and set around 255. He ran off happy to play.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
MagMan

if everyone just shot automags this wouldn't be an issue.
ScottyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

For some people it's just a fun game. They dont care about (or place second) knowedge, skills and really often safety. In their minds they are just there to have fun. That might not be what you like to hear on a dedicated paintball forum. But I think that's reality.
leoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoric View Post
For some people it's just a fun game. They dont care about (or place second) knowedge, skills and really often safety. In their minds they are just there to have fun. That might not be what you like to hear on a dedicated paintball forum. But I think that's reality.
They're not going to have much fun if they don't know how to use their specialized equipment.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident ATS Enthusiast

I tend to believe that, if you buy it, you should read the manual. That said, there are enough ways to adjust velocities (from marker to marker) that I understand how people renting or borrowing a marker can get confused.

Hell, I can rebuild an ATS in the dark but I was totally clueless as to how the velocity on an M17 adjusted.

My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone