mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Bonus balls are when a scum bag intentionally shoots a clearly eliminated player a few more times to further punish that player or just because the scum bag is one.

Bonus balls are not when a rapid fire string of 40 balls happens to hit a player more than once.

It's bad to be a jerk. Gear is not factor. How many of us were introduced to the upper echelons of paintball by that one "pro" with the latest and greatest equipment? It is up to the field owner, manager, organizer, or group of outlaw players to remove scum from the field and ban them. As a fellow experienced player you can look out for and stand against this behavior.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:07 AM   #32 (permalink)
Probably

OP sounds reasonable, for a person who recognizes that they can't control a trigger.

I am pretty good at controlling my trigger though. And if I'm gonna eliminate a clear noob I'll do it with one ball.

Maybe I'm just salty because I don't understand what OP means by rec-ball. I consider rec-ball to be random walk-ons. You know, not teams scrimmaging. And most of those walk-ons that I play with are shooting electros, same as me.
PlawB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
King of Low-End

I'm not an ******* in rec play, I enjoy "directing the troops" which is when I join in a game of renters and basically just command and direct them where to go and who to shoot at. All the while only shooting when absolutely necessary.

But I like the guns I like, be they new or old. I'll shoot what I want, when I want to use it.
kevin qmto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

PPS Fan
i think more experienced players should help the new guys with tips. how to shoot whats good paint and so on. i use to buy crap wight boxed paint that was oblong and i would just shoot from the hip shooting one ball then adjusting at no point did anyone give me tips on how to shoot.
thrasher_565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

You kind of already stated this, but to clarify: are you are essentially asking a group that is incapable of self-regulation to do just that? Literally, the premise is people can't self regulate (with electros), so the solution is to ask them to self regulate (by swapping equipment).

If they can't take it down a notch with their current equipment, what chance do you have of getting them to swap their equipment (of their own volition, in the interests of "being nicer")?

Sometimes people are less like humans and more like simple animals that need to be trained, because you just can't ask them to think too hard. And that goes double for the crowd you're talking about. You have to reward the good and punish the bad.

If the solution involves neither tangible rewards (helping the sport is nice and all, but probably not enough incentive) nor actual punishments... I don't see it going anywhere.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #36 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I agree with the sentiment that its mainly idiots that's the problem rather than the actual equipment they use, a rule often applied in the UK is that against rental players everyone has to use a gravity hopper - while it might not stop people being idiots it should limit everyone's fire rate to about the same.
Cannon Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
...you can't take the human factor out of it...
While i'm in general agreement of the topic. Occasionally being the guy tasked to reign in the overzealous electric shooter. I will say i've seen multiple times where a PUMP player decided he should purposely overshoot players. He even did it to me and my bro, every time he got one of us. One of the bonus shots broke a piece of our equipment each time. One time he came up to me after a game and bragged about having "put some extra rounds just for giggles" into my brother, like i would approve. That's just not cool. (more so since one of those rounds caused me to need to fix his broken hopper)
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #38 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I think "limiting electros" is a feel good solution for those that do not use them even though I have supported it in the past.

Let's say, for instance, that we are playing baseball and Miguel Cabrera shows up. To make it fair we require him to use a wooden bat while the rest of us use metal ones. Fair right?

There is more to paintball than equipment. When we whittle it down to equipment we create a straw man argument. For a competitive activity to be fun, for most people, they must have at least a reasonable expectation of being an integral part of a winning the game. Mix new players with experienced players (even on teams made up of both) and the new players are unlikely to feel like it mattered that they were on the field or not.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #39 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrydragon View Post

I think a big issue is the expectation that paintball is one shot per out.

For everyone that claims "I only oneball", do you play a turn based strategy version of paintball where a ref stands right on top of every player?

This game is fast, even with stock class markers. Unless I'm firing right on top of someone I'm firing multiple balls. If I hit someone and they dont call out I assume it bounced and am firing more balls there way.

I'm not flagging a ref down for a paintcheck on another player. I play with decent enough people that will either ask for a paintcheck on themselves if not sure, or go out when they get hit.
It is one break per elimination for your standard paintball game played in most areas unless it has some clearly defined rules agreed upon ahead of time by all those playing that more than one break is necessary to be eliminated.

The game is fast but that doesn't mean you don't follow the rules by not calling for paint checks and instead deciding that you should shoot again just because it's more convenient for you and/or he didn't call it so he deserves to be shot again. That kind of thinking just leads down a slippery slope of unsportsmanlike behaviour. If you think you hit him, ask him. If he doesn't reply, ask for a paint check. If he keeps playing on when it was a clean break that's a problem for the ref. If it bounced then play on. But assuming it bounced and shooting him again could lead to an unfortunate confrontation.

There's a video of me on here somewhere one balling a dude. He was cool. Then two dudes lit me up like a Christmas tree...with a 12 year old kid behind me. Now some of you will say oh this is paintball it happens the kid shouldn't have been there etc... But really that attitude is part of the problem not the solution. It is one shot to eliminate someone. Sometimes things happen and it ends up being more than one. Those times should be limited as much as possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Just fyi everyone the answer is stock class for all questions related to paintball and to solve all paintball related problems except carbon emissions because we gotta use those 12 grams.

Double FYI for paintball rules there should be no "offer" of surrender, its either mandatory surrender at X distance when guy is behind you or no surrender and you get shot in the booty. "offer" of surrender makes for some ridiculous and dangerous john woo tactics.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #40 (permalink)
Nerd

Just want to throw this out there: Obviously running multiple groups in walk-on play is a good thing to do. Renters and experienced players generally should be split up. But that isn't feasible in many cases. Some fields do it, some don't, and there has to be a sufficient number of both levels present to do it. And if the groups are split, disregard anything I said; I specifically framed my argument in terms of mixed recball, defined as new and experienced players together.

But responding to, "In mixed recball, X should happen," with "mixed recball as you defined it isn't optimal, play like this instead," ignores the reality that, for better or for worse, mixed recball, as I defined it, happens all the time. So we have to deal with it.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
WTB: Pirate Lever, 007 Challenger
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone