mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nerd

Experienced Players Should Not be Shooting Electros in Recball.

Dear Experienced Players:

Here are some thoughts I’ve been kicking around for a while, but I just got around to formalizing them a bit in a coherent way. This is related to what happened in my last FPS video, but I’ve been thinking along these lines for years.

Short version:
If you are an experienced player, you should be playing pump in recball. That’s the simplified, one-sentence version of the argument. Read on for the long version.

If you don't feel like reading, here's the video version.

Goal:
Make recball enjoyable for everyone who participates, regardless of experience level.

Premises:
1. New/young players getting lit up is bad for paintball.

They are less likely to play again, and are more likely to discourage others from playing.

2. Relatively few players can be trusted to not use their equipment to its fullest legal capacity, or nearly so.

Generally, if a players has the ability to shoot 8, 10, 12bps, they will do so at some point on the field, even if they don’t intend to. Purposefully limiting yourself is not easy, especially when the paint is flying and adrenaline pumping.

The Argument:
Following the logic of those points, new players getting lit up by experienced players, even if they don’t intend to do so, is inevitable. Players that have the ability to shoot a lot of paint will do so, and that paint will at some point find a new player. Consequently, those new players are less likely to play again, and more likely to discourage other people from playing. In the long term, this can lead to significantly fewer people playing paintball.

It’s worth noting at this point that the vast majority of paintball players are relatively inexperienced. They play maybe once or twice a year, and most rent. If they own their own gear at all, they have a Tippmann in a closet. These are the players at risk of being discouraged by experienced players if the experienced players use their equipment to its fullest legal capabilities, as they inevitably do. Since this is the largest group of players, threats to their participation are, not to be dramatic, existential threats to the viability of paintball as a whole.

Conclusion:
Given a certain set of conditions, you should be technologically handicapping yourself when playing recball. Here are those conditions:

1. You are an experienced player. By this I mean you’ve been playing for at least a couple of years, you own your own gear, which is significantly “better,” for lack of a more precise term, than rental gear, and you have played at the same field a sufficient number of times to be familiar enough with it that you know “how to play it,” or have an idea of how you like to play it. Basically, if you’re reading this, you are probably sufficiently experienced that it applies to you.

2. You are playing mixed recball. By this I mean it is a walk-on game, and new players and experienced players in the same group. Some fields split up groups, either renters and non-renters, electros and everyone else. If that’s the case, this doesn’t apply. But if the field doesn’t do that, or there are too few people to have two groups, that’s where this applies.

If you meet both of those criteria, experienced player in a mixed group, you should be playing at some technological disadvantage, or at the very least not have a technological advantage.

In a perfect world, I think this means every experienced player would play pump in mixed walk-on games. But I won’t even go that far. Play pump, pistol, magfed, limited paint, hopperball (it feels great to drop the pod pack), even just throw a gravity hopper on your normal setup, literally anything to technologically limit the amount of paint you can throw.

Before I continue, I want to point out that there are a bunch of situations and groups to which this does not apply: Private groups, scenarios/big games, tournaments/practice/scrimmage/etc, speedball groups (streetball, etc). So if that’s your bag, disregard what I’m saying, doesn’t apply to you.

There are other reasons, beyond “don’t drive the new players away” that experienced players should be doing this anyway. You already know how to move, use cover, snap shoot, aim, you know the fields, etc. You shouldn’t also have a technological advantage. But those are besides the point.

Counterarguments:
Some of these I have heard/read frequently, some infrequently, but I have encountered each of these points in some form.

Quote:
I can use whatever I want/I paid for it, I can use it.
Yes you can, just don’t be a jerk.

Quote:
I’m practicing for a tournament, so I have to use the same setup/modes/etc.
No you’re not. Go play airball if you’re practicing, they’re running 5-man games right now. If you’re playing with the mostly-renting rec group, you’re not practicing.

Quote:
As long as it’s within the rules, I can play however I want.
Technically yes, but you should not be playing in such a way that is detrimental to the experiences of the other players. To paraphrase…someone (it’s unclear exactly who), your right to swing your fist ends where the other guy’s nose begins. Do what you want, until it negatively impacts other people.

Something may very well be within the rules, but that doesn’t mean it is acceptable in a mixed walk-on game. Shooting an electronic marker at new players at or near the maximum allowed ROF is one of those things. You’re allowed to do it, but you’re a jerk if you do. So don’t do it.

Final Thoughts:
I’m not saying electros should be banned from recball.

I’m calling on experienced players to be considerate of the vast majority of players who play occasionally and either rent or own a simple mech. These players make up the bulk of paintballers, and alienating them is bad for paintball.

The easiest, most reliable way to do that is to use gear that doesn’t allow you to play in a abusive way. Yes, you can still ruin someone’s day with a pump, but I’ve never seen it happen. By voluntarily limiting the amount of paint you can sling, you’re making the field a friendlier place, and helping paintball grow.

Thanks for reading this far.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
WTB: Pirate Lever, 007 Challenger

Last edited by Diomedes; 01-06-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
Totally agree man. Slappadapink and I have conversations exactly like this. Like verbatim.

Regarding electros, sure you can use it, but you get a 35 round hopper

Honestly, I don't see how 10 year veterans get any joy out of picking up their ego and blasting 15 year old first timers with tippys back into their mothers womb. You outright don't need your ego against rentals if you've been playing ten years. Challenge yourself, work on a deficiency in your game, and have fun. Rec play shouldn't be where you get your ego boost.

I don't have anything else to add. That was perfect.

Last edited by 300z; 01-06-2016 at 09:05 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

It doesn't surprise me that there are experienced players that find joy in playing this way, but it DOES surprise me that there are field owners that allow it at their field! It makes no sense from a business perspective.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Goin for it

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Great points.. and very well worded. I'm sure most of us on MCB will agree with you.

I run an Outlaw field and use my SC guns and TiPX for the most part, I'm allways bringing down new friends and family to play and try to take it easy. Me and the other "regulars" even started carrying rubber knives to throw at people. It has started a good trend of guys trying to get the knife kill, and in turn slowing them down too.

The best thing you can do is lead by example IMO. When all the hot shot electro punks see you gogging their buddies with a phantom they will (hopefully) fallow suite and get a pump. Even if just for the bragging rights.

Too many people think pumps are a major disadvantage. I play better with a pump personally. Different for sure. But better too IMO. Ive had to explain to a few people how a pump gun operates. They laugh in disbelief, Then get eliminated

The best is when the refs rub it in on them. (Their "every weekend" air ball buddies) I occasionally play at the local field and the refs are hilarious. They easily put the punks in their place lol.

My Feedback
Ant Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brumski

Send a message via AIM to Melvin

Now I just need to print a few reams worth of copies and plaster them all over the local fields.
Feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Paintball
Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/melvin.brumski

Things I would like to purchase with American dollars:
1: Dragon barrel plugs!

I moved across the country, if you live in Louisiana hit me up!
Melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Goin for it

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
Now I just need to print a few reams worth of copies and plaster them all over the local fields.
Not a bad idea.....

My Feedback
Ant Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ok, I watched the video, re-read the argument and now I'll weigh in.

Yes. That's the short answer. Yes, experienced players in recball should limit their technology to make the game more enjoyable for new/less experienced players.

The downside is how are you going to get players to self-evaluate their skill level and make the adjustment. Young players who have never used anything but an electro, who work their way up in skill but not "experience" and then find themselves at a field with a rec game on are naturally going to want to join in. Yes, it is dang hard to control your trigger, and your skills and experience have made your actions into instinct. When you stumbled and hit the player you had asked to surrender you still made a hit...

Despite your anger at the obvious overshooting you still made a great shot to eliminate the first offending player in the building. Skill again. You used your experience to get someone to lay down cover to distract the remaining opponent while you advanced. And yet, when you had the clean surrender you let anger take over and put a round into his back and then called him an A******. Yes, he later made excuses and tried to apologize for his behavior. Did you?

I applaud your wanting to bring this issue forward. A good field owner would not allow the experienced electro-toting player into a game with new/undergunned players. My suggestions? Refuse to play unless the field owner levels the playing field tech/experience wise. Put in some range time or ask the less-experienced players if they want to form a private group. Or ask the electro player if he would like to try out your snazzy pump. Do something to change the scenario and the possible bad outcome. Talk to the field owner. Did they know what happened? Show them the video and appeal to their financial logic.

You present a well reasoned argument and I fully support your conclusions. Now how do we get there?
Third of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nerd

^I'm going to wait a bit to weigh in, but I will most definitely revisit these points.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
WTB: Pirate Lever, 007 Challenger
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mar
Just ****ing confused

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300z View Post
Totally agree man. Slappadapink and I have conversations exactly like this. Like verbatim.

Regarding electros, sure you can use it, but you get a 35 round hopper

Honestly, I don't see how 10 year veterans get any joy out of picking up their ego and blasting 15 year old first timers with tippys back into their mothers womb. You outright don't need your ego against rentals if you've been playing ten years. Challenge yourself, work on a deficiency in your game, and have fun. Rec play shouldn't be where you get your ego boost.

I don't have anything else to add. That was perfect.
I am in agreement.

even my style of play has been ****ty and too competitive, aiming at holes in bunkers, instead of working on snap shots and making bigger moves. I even decided that for rec-play I won't rush a guy who dumps a 12ie. I did it to Keys once last year, he surrendered pleasantly - but I thought "after 22 years how did that help me elevate my game? And more importantly, how did it contribute to KeysJr having fun?" I will take my chances with post ups and snaps. Strive for perfection and relentless improvement.

Love you guys.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
lew
Fartrell Cluggins

I never warmed up to pumps, but I do stick to hopperball-only.

The gear is irrelevant; don't be an *******. Simple as that.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone