mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old Slow Fat Guy

Yet another 16g thread

I stumbled into a Fizz Giz home carbonation video today. That led me to a video on how to make and install a refillable valve on a 16g cartridge.

https://youtu.be/nucdZB9f4jY

I know the idea of using 16g cartridges on a paintball gun has come up multiple times already. The big drawback has seemed to be the cost differential. Does the ability to recharge them become a game changer for anybody? Or would this fall into the Candidate for Darwin's Award category?

Apparently Palmer's has made an adapter for 16g at some point.

-

Un2XS Feedback

The (Infamous) Woodsball Manifesto by Rob "Tyger" Rubin

Real heros don't wear spandex. - Mel Gibson

Nothing is impossible. Some things just take longer. - David Chase
Un2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Not Darwin at all. If it is refillable I am sure that would attract a lot of people to try it out.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Aaahhh yeeeaaaahh...

Send a message via Skype™ to lordgore66

Brass and Wood Fan
But to rely on loctite to hold that much pressure is borderline idiodic. Sure it might hold up for a while but I've seen loctite turn to mush after being exposed to paintball fill so I'd think twice about doing something like this. Not to mention the pressure spikes with direct sun exposure.

Last edited by lordgore66; 02-24-2016 at 12:18 AM.
lordgore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Dunno... seems to be very sturdy stuff.

Quote:
LOCTITE 680 High Strength, High Viscosity Retaining Compound

LOCTITEŽ 680™ Retaining Compound is a high strength, high viscosity room temperature curing adhesive used to join fitted cylindrical parts. It fixtures in 10 minutes and provides a shear strength of 4,000 psi. Capable of filling diametral gaps up to 0.015 in. (0.38 mm).

LOCTITE 680 allows relaxed machining tolerances, and replaces clamp rings, set screws, and snap rings. Gives best resistance to dynamic, axial and radial loads. Recommended for retaining shafts, gears, pulleys and similar cylindrical parts. NSF/ANSI 61 Certified. ABS Approved.
Having no experience of this stuff I would be uncomfortable though.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Ugh, refilling disposable cartridges is a nightmare, please don't do it. These cartridges are not designed for the stresses of multiple fillings, they are designed to be used once and tossed. If it were legal to fill them, they would have a DOT permit.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Ugh, refilling disposable cartridges is a nightmare, please don't do it. These cartridges are not designed for the stresses of multiple fillings, they are designed to be used once and tossed. If it were legal to fill them, they would have a DOT permit.
This, plus that Loctite seal doesn't seem like a great idea, it could be fine but I'd have to do some calculations to feel safe.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

This thread comes up every year, and its such a dumb idea to modify a disposable container. In the past, better solutions were to modify a bucket changer to have a simple backcheck valve, so the whole thing could be used as the refillable container.

Backchecks were sorta banned, but this were be a reversed backcheck. But even so, how could you correctly fill such a thing? It would be too easy to overfill the container, which has no safety vent. An overfilled 16gram would spike to 2000-3000psi.... that might be below its burst rating, but I'd rather not find out.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Backchecks weren't "banned", per se`, it's just that they weren't allowed by the original strict-interpretation stock-class rules.

But yes, any refillable container pretty much has to have a suitable burst disc.

It's actually kind of hard to fill a tiny tank properly, but it can be done, and it CAN be overfilled- and easily. Most of the cheap "fish scales" people use to weigh tanks don't really have a lot of accuracy- most of the ones I've seen in use are at best only good to half an ounce, which is 14 grams.

Personally, it seems a lot of trouble- and no small risk- just to make a hard-to-fill tank that only provides maybe 3 to 5 additional shots over a 12-gram. And the whole idea behind using a 12-gram (as opposed to a "bulk fill" CO2 tank) is specifically to limit the number of shots per cartridge.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
Backchecks weren't "banned", per se`, it's just that they weren't allowed by the original strict-interpretation stock-class rules.
They were sorta banned back around 1990 or so for most tournaments, and some fields. It had nothing to due with stock-class rules but for safety issues.

The issue was it was easy for for someone to point the gun down, pop in a couple 12grams and flood the gun with 3-4 12grams worth of co2, then play. Modern stockclass rules have issue with checkvalves because of a fairness issue.

But originally, the issue was without any expansion room, but co2 typically went supercritical, and the first couple shots might have been 400+ psi. I remember a big issue being made of us it back in 89-90, but once constant air because widespread, people lost interest since nobody used 12grams for mid/high level play anymore.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

I guess I do sorta remember reading about that...

You know how you've seen those old guys that yell at some young guy, saying "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know!"?

Sometimes I think I'm becoming that old guy.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone