mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
- Local 18 IUEC -

Paintball Photography tips?

I'd like to bring my DSLR to the field before work if I don't have time to play. I understand many paintball photographers get their lenses shot constantly and that's something I would love to avoid. I've seen them wrap their cameras in something to protect from paint. Anyone bring their DSLR or mirrorless to the field often? What can I expect? Should I pick up an expensive filter to protect from hits? What should I bring with me?
Snowking63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
King of Low-End

Nope, I just chance it and take the camera out as is. It's gotten hit in the body before but never the lens. I'm probably playing a dangerous game but it hasn't broken yet in 4 years!
kevin qmto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
- Local 18 IUEC -

Wow I'm surprised! You don't have problems with getting paint in your mic holes?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
King of Low-End

Mic holes are on the top (cannon t3i) and they don't really get paint in them.
kevin qmto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
President of Kanuckistan

Send a message via MSN to The Sexy Beast

CCM Fan
Getting hit in the body is pretty common (just like Reffing), and although I've had some luck on my side I haven't been hit in the camera/lens over the years.

I'm always on my toes and constantly scanning the field to monitor where players are and trying to foreshadow their plays. When I do this properly I can generally stay out of their lanes of fire, all while still keeping myself in a good area to take photos!
My MCB Feedback
The Sexy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Keeper of souls of bees

I would suggest to avoid using a filter to protect the lens. The lens is much tougher than the filter, if the filter breaks now you have pieces of filter and paint you need to try to remove from your lens instead of just paint.

Expect to get hit, the best pictures usually come from near the lane of fire. With a bit of practice you can figure out how to stay on the edges of those lanes.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I've just started taking pictures with my Nikon D5500 with 300mm lens and my smaller lens. I don't use any protection other than a filter and a lens shroud at this point...

I like the long lens as I can stay out of reach of many shots and still get the angles I want.

Wear a cup... As your camera may be out of the line of fire, but your nuts may be right where the drop occurs. I got drilled in the nuts last speedball game I photographed. (I was thankful to be wearing my cup! LOL).

I would love tips from you guys, as I'm new to this. I have lots of paintball pic albums on my facebook page "Trails of Doom". I just started this year...

https://www.facebook.com/TrailsOfDoom/

and my instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE7GQHMrCDk/

The paintball you can see that just left his marker... Is the one that hit me in the nuts a fraction of a second later. Lol.
https://www.facebook.com/TrailsOfDoo...type=3&theater
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
If anything just get a cheap polarizer. That's what I'd do, Cheapys are like 20 bucks.

Its not going to be the best protection in the world for the lens, but at least its a safety net. If you get hit head on at least it'll take a major part of the force away.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Buying Bankruptcy Kits

I wrap my camera in bright microfiber. As said, make sure they know. Most people will still take pot shots at you anyway.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
- Local 18 IUEC -

Great advice so far. As far as lenses go, it seems a telephoto would be best for primary use. Does anyone feel the need to take out a smaller, wider lens for tighter shots or off the field portaits? Or is it better to stay far back completely? And would looking through the viewfinder be better than looking at the LCD screen? I just tried looking through the viewfinder with my mask on and it is do-able but it's hard to find the shot quickly. Also, since people are moving around so fast, I would assume it'd be better to use auto focus? I like to take those bokeh small depth of field shots using manual focus but capturing a player seems hard to do that way.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone