mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #81 (permalink)
MCB Member

Horizon -

Thanks for your input, it's especially unique due to your location and I am curious if the Canadian market differs from ours in terms of costs, demographics, etc. You shouldn't have to apologize about being honest about the point of a business. I feel like attracting the right player base and having a healthy amount of self regulation and staff intervention is going to INCREASE the amount of money a field will make. In reality, I've seen a lot of the opposite: business owners seem to want to let their fields go wild and they'd rather have guaranteed paint sales to a very small group of people, and in doing so they turn away a difficult-to-quantify amount of other business as a result. The financial ratio is NOT skewed in their favor though. I think this is a combination of short sightedness and inexperience (see my other thread for that discussion).

Is 50 caliber a rental standard over there? There are fields in my area that offer 50 caliber to rentals but it is grossly unpopular.
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:58 AM   #82 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSGSplatmaster View Post
Is 50 caliber a rental standard over there? There are fields in my area that offer 50 caliber to rentals but it is grossly unpopular.
NO, it's not any more a standard than in the States. Most fields don't offer it. As you know, most field owners are former players (or even current players) and .50 cal among regular players is unpopular, so therefore most field owners are also biased and either don't offer it, or don't give much effort when it comes to marketing it. We give it equal billing and let the customer choose.

Originally I jumped on the anti .50 cal wagon like almost everyone else. Eventually I realized that .50 cal gave us field owners a second chance at providing paintball to the general public without the arms race, which I feel has hurt participation (people can argue that point if they like). I'm of the opinion that any sport's participation varies with degrees of intensity. For instanse, if you were to ask 1,000 random people if they are up for a game of flag football, a certain number would answer yes. Ask the same random 1,000 people if they are up for a game of tackle football and a much smaller number would answer yes. That is true for almost every sport that involves some sort of physical interchange between oponants. .50 calibre with everyone on an even playing field shooting mechanical rentals is attractive to more people than .68 calibre with veteran players shooting a wide variety of markers, all shooting projectiles that inflict more pain on impact.

Regular gear owning players (or "pros" as the newbies often refer to them) choose not to play .50 cal, which works in favour of keeping .50 cal exclusive for beginners and casual renters. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, it also takes away cannon fodder for the regulars which takes the fun away for many of them.

We've seen alot of field close in the last few years and we are going to see more close in the coming years yet. Many of those that survive will be changing their business model to one that caters much more to kid's birthday parties and things like zombie shoots. There are fewer and fewer people choosing to play paintball as their hobby of choice, so fields catering to players that play relatively often will also become fewer and fewer. It's a cultural shift western civilization is going through and it's affecting alot more than just paintball.

Last edited by Horizon; 09-10-2016 at 03:06 AM.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #83 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

PPS Fan
Hell Survivors allows 6 year olds to play 50 cal, chrono'd to 250 I think.

Big market for birthday parties in that demographic.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #84 (permalink)
Started in '89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
Hell Survivors allows 6 year olds to play 50 cal, chrono'd to 250 I think.

Big market for birthday parties in that demographic.
215fps is their limit for 50 cal. I have played there several times with my 7yo son and it is a blast. Usually when we show up to play there are no open 50 cal groups, HSI asks one of the private groups if we can join and usually they say yes.

Even at 215fps those little balls sting pretty good and leave a welt. Range is about 1/3rd of 68 cal and accuracy is pretty bad. Still, the kids don't care and are just having fun.
Flash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #85 (permalink)
Here a while

The Whiteboard, a somewhat paintball-related webcomic by "Doc" Nickel

Just going to leave this here.
darknite667 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone