mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #231 (permalink)
Bubble bubble...

A changer built into the stock's end would be nice. I wouldn't want to have anything on the top or bottom of the stock, as that precludes having a shell buttstock sleeve on it. However, a lever changer (theoretically) should be fairly easy to incorporate into the underside of the stock itself. Plenty of wood to work with down there for support, and lever changers are already common in paintball.
If the 'gh' in enough is pronounced 'f', the 'o' in women as a short 'i' sound, the 'ti' in nation as 'sh', and the 'i' in radio is pronounced as an 'ee' sound, then technically: "Ghotii" is pronounced "Fishy"
My Feedback
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #232 (permalink)
Pump Fiction#86 BaBa YaGa

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
where we at with this doc?

CLICK>> Feedback - Wish List - Sale/Trade - Patch Sale
TCPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #233 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Since you asked...

Basically right now, I'm in the "building the infrastructure" stage. I've been converting one of my lathes over to CNC, and putting together a Shapeoko 3 CNC router, with a full dust enclosure and water-cooled spindle, both in order to make parts for the Duke.

As well as other products, of course, but the primary driver right now is the lever gun.

I've also been working my hindquarters off in an effort to stack up some cash, and hopefully, by spring or so (that's my spring, not your Lower 48 spring ) I can sell off one or two pieces of my older equipment, and buy one of the Tormach CNC vertical mills.

I'll still likely have to farm a few pieces out, but the more I can make in-house, the lower I can keep the prices, as well as being able to "produce on demand" to a limited extent, plus being able to keep replacement parts or optional parts in stock.

Much as I'd like to be a lot further along on the project, that's the current story. If you'd like to help out in some way, you can always join my Patreon* at even just a buck a month (as they say, every little bit helps) or pick up something out of my store, which now also includes all seven of the recently-rereleased TWB Books!

I hate to make that sound kind of mercenary, but no matter what, whether I do this in-house or farm it out, it's gonna take a big chunk of change. And I'm not going to do a 'preorder'- this whole industry has a bad track record there - and I don't want to have to take out a loan or something.

I'd rather sell an honest product and use the proceeds to build more of the same. It just takes a little longer that way.

Doc.

(* Occasional boob warning, for those of you at work.)
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #234 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Dammit there is so much awesome on MCB I can't keep up with all of it! Interested and definitely need to pickup some TWB swag soon.

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Tippmann 98s do not have problems. You've broken the universe. Impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
Dang, I was going to give you my thesis outline
"Psycho-Sexual Paintball; an analysis of penile ejaculatory surrogacy in paintball marking devices"
Obake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #235 (permalink)
MCB Member

You had me at BOOBS, just joined into your Patreon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Been playing since 1986
Woodsball/Tourney/semi-pro NPPL/Recreational now

Sethzilla's feedback

sethzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #236 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
I love the occasional boob
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #237 (permalink)
MCB Member

So since funds are tight paying off wife's student loans I approve the current pace. Still excited to see the finished product.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #238 (permalink)
MCB Member

love it one thing though, the John Wayne Cancer Foundation may take exception to Duke even though you named it after something else. it would be cool to see it as an officially licensed JWF marker.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #239 (permalink)
Damage Inc. Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage View Post
love it one thing though, the John Wayne Cancer Foundation may take exception to Duke even though you named it after something else. it would be cool to see it as an officially licensed JWF marker.
John Wayne wouldn't call it a marker.
The Weltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #240 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Since I posted the reply above, several people have emailed or PM'ed me about things like CNC mills and/or the possible use of 3D printing for production.

I'm always thankful for the feedback, and several of you have given me some good ideas. I figured I'd put up a proper post to organize some thoughts.

I'm going with the small Tormach mill mainly due to cost and size. I'm still a one-man airsmith, and as many of you well know, that's not exactly the fast track to wealth and prosperity.

The Tormachs get good reviews, seem to have good customer service, are (barely) affordable, and the small ones are compact enough that with work, I can actually jam one into my already-overstuffed shop.

Yeah, I'd love to have a HAAS VM1- heck, I'd kill and help hide the body for a row of 'em. But I just don't have the room nor the budget, even for a used one. (Keep in mind it'd cost about half the value of the Tormach just to ship the HAAS up here.)

The 3D printing is something I'm already looking hard into. I'm hoping to get one of the new Prusas here very shortly, as they've gotten good reviews, and a local buddy has a MkII that he's really happy with.

I'd have picked one up already- I almost signed up for the MkIII prerelease- but I just have too damn many side projects going on right now. If I bought it today it'd be a month or two before I could do much more than just open the box.

But, I'm very definitely looking into it as a way to prototype parts, or even manufacture pieces of the gun- like a buttplate for the stock, a follower for the magazine, and so on.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone