mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-04-2017, 04:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
This IS my serious face!

Painthappy,

I think a lot of what you are talking about with facebook being reactionary and just click and move on is because it was designed to be that way. We as the users don't have the ability to modify or adjust our "feed". The user interface is forced on us and so unless I plan to look up a particular person and view their page for some reason, I only ever hear from them if I message directly or I get a notification. Well, we can't even really modify our notifications. Not really anyways. But this is all intentional to drive views of 'sponsored content' (aka ads).

I'd argue that it's less of the people's will regarding a lot of this as so much as the user interface forces us to be that way.

What I would love to see is you have the app button on the phone. It has a little number that pops up on it like FB indicating messages or responses or whatever.
Click app.
Open interface is something akin to a less messy version of PB Nation's front news page. A few pictures with major threads or news, and then a button up top for:
Forum, games, news, messages, classifieds, and technical archive.

Give people and companies a concentrated place to put technical videos that are not made by children on youtube. A concentrated place for technical manuals and sticky worthy forum threads/posts.

Give the industry a place to put events onto a map of the us,uk, wherever so people can see "hey this is going on near me". Then even go fancy and color code the games based on how far out they are. Green means this week, yellow later, red later. Or something. I'd like the idea that the industry can all put our events onto a single calendar and have it pop up onto a map that I can then say "Hey, I"m here, wtf is going on near me?"

Of course the forum.

A way to private message people.

A managed page of pictures with simple buzz worthy titles that link to news threads in the forum.

Classifieds, because that drives a lot of site traffic.

But if the user interface is setup right, it has picture and video hosting for direct upload from phone, and then adoption from the industry as a whole as a place for targeted advertising and news and game promotions, it could really do us well.

We need something like this. Something simple, easy, and user friendly but has the history and search functions and is dedicated to only paintball. Maybe people only check it a few times a week or when they need info on a gun manual but that's better than what we're seeing right now right?
Old 10-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

I agree with making mobile platform integration a priority. However, the thing that I dislike about Facebook is that I'm not in control what what I view, at least not without hunting down most of it.

A forum, to me, should be first and foremost a tool for conversation. It's not a library so much as a transcript. Having a bunch of sections for videos, technical manuals, etc. would just eliminate the need to talk in my view.

Watching the rain--and waiting for Heaven.

CyberNations
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #23 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

I would prefer the forum stay mobile unfriendly so that it's not full of a bunch of LOL, FTW, TLDR posts.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

It's definitely hard to have a conversation with any depth on any of the social platforms. Hell, anything in this thread would be a TLDR response on facebook. For me, I think a lot of it boils down to just being old and slow and preferring slower mediums.

I wouldn't call the new generation disconnected at all. Sure, while they spew a lot of one liners and single images, it's a lot more dynamic and real time conversation. With my kids, it's not generally with strangers but with people they know or see all the time. If my son is online, he's on discord talking to his friends. Hell, he has more regular interaction with his cousins than I do and often tells me things I had no idea about.

Thinking back to when I was a kid, I saw my friends at school, came home then maybe hung out or talked to a couple of them and that was about it until the next day. I was basically disconnected from everyone else. I'm actually fascinated by the ability of the new generation to keep up in near real time with all of their personal relationships. It seems like it would be exhausting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
I would prefer the forum stay mobile unfriendly so that it's not full of a bunch of LOL, FTW, TLDR posts.
To a certain extent; I think that's always been an issue on the forums. Maybe not this one, but definitely on others.

Most people, anecdotally, seem to be working more and more (either to make ends meet or for fear of losing a good job). That leaves less time at home to do things like browse the forums. It also isn't always possible, or advisable, to browse personal stuff on a work computer.

Even if the forums are just easier to read on a mobile device (all the people I work with check their phone throughout the day) it fits into an established/establishing pattern of behavior, and it gives people an opportunity to know what's going on without a lot of effort. Then, they get home and they already know what they want to read more of/or participate in.

Some unwanted conversation might creep in, but if the overall effect is more conversation? That really the worst thing? I have people on my block list from before Facebook was cool. Their posts weren't worth reading, they were annoying, etc. I didn't have to deal with them.

Watching the rain--and waiting for Heaven.

CyberNations
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

This thread is really comforting me right now... I'm dipping my toe back into the sport and have been worried that paintball was fizzling out of public interest. Times are stark when the most technological advancement I've noticed so far is from CCI, and half of the forums I frequented seem to have disappeared.

If we're talking about upgrading the forums, I have moon-shot suggestions:
1) Archive or convert the existing vB forum and create the new forum using Discourse.
2) Allow users to become supporting members if they opt-in to a browser-based mining network to help support the cost of operating the forums; e.g. https://coinhive.com/

Last edited by Siress; 10-08-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Siress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Discord is a horrible format to replace a forum with, just as facebook is far inferior.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
New In Box Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzzy View Post
Most people, anecdotally, seem to be working more and more (either to make ends meet or for fear of losing a good job). That leaves less time at home to do things like browse the forums. It also isn't always possible, or advisable, to browse personal stuff on a work computer.
The work hours have certainly impacted my forum time. Facebook is a quick and easy way to snap a couple pics and share something.

I really want to do some marker teardown and rebuild threads, last one I think I did was a year or two ago for the BE-90.
RuleOfSines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
Discord is a horrible format to replace a forum with, just as facebook is far inferior.
Considering this forum is designed for people interested in retro gear, a change of format seems like a bad idea.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Considering this forum is designed for people interested in retro gear, a change of format seems like a bad idea.
I agree. Change for the sake of change is seldom a good thing. Having an app other than Tapatalk is one thing - but a complete rebuild of the site from the ground up is something else. Facebook and Reddit already exist and have their place. I see no reason why MCB should follow suit and move to a more modern social media format. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone