mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Talk to me about the last couple of year Dye markers

I have always enjoyed the Matrix, since I shot my friend's blind Diablo years ago. I have owned a representation of every model I was interested in since the DM3...a 6, a 9, and now a 10 that I picked up on a steal. Given the sheer height of the DM, up to the 14 I have been giving consideration to updating to one of the latest models of DM or possibly an M2.

My understanding is that, aside from profile, everything up to the DM15 is pretty much the same marker. Efficiency will be about the same and no significant reduction in kick or feel. I hear that people with big hands are not really digging the spacing between reg and frame on the DM14/15.

I read that the M2 and particularly the MosAir models are getting easily twice the shots that the DM models did. In itself that is a particularly interesting aspect, seeing how I can carry more paint than I can shoot with my current DM10. I am unsure, but it appears the ergos on the M2 are the same as the DM concerning reg spacing to frame. I have read quite a few accounts of people having issue with the rechargeable/charging pad.

My biggest concern, and likely that of every Dye owner, is the rampant depreciation. DM14/15 are EASY to find just over 4, and the M2 around 7. That will certainly come down even more shortly into the new year.

I ask those who are Matrix fans. In your opinion...and I hear/read that the DM14 is THE marker to own in this series now for price to performance....what would be THE Matrix to own right now, where prices are, features are, and knowing how far the value will fall. Is it even worth "upgrading" from a 10 for?
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I'm interested in this topic for sure...
Old 10-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I'm interested in this topic for sure...
Not sure if being sincere or not.....realizing this isn't what many might consider the ideal forum to ask about a space gun. I also know there are many more adults here than kids and value the considered opinion of them as a whole as compared to other sites.

If I read your intention wrong, my apologies.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
For me the DM12 is the best balance in terms of value, aesthetics and comfort. The DM14 is tempting though because I do like the hoseless designs. The issue with that being you can't adjust the positioning of the ASA. I also understand that the knob on those ASA's can be hard to turn with slippery paint covered fingers and are plastic.
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Used2B Bigbthebenji

Unless you're playing tournaments, it's not worth upgrading. I've owned or shot all of them. I honestly think the DM7 was their best all around gun. I miss the eye covers, grips, and I don't think the shot has been as smooth since. If it's not going to be the smoothest, then why risk the efficiency? The m2 is a step up, but like you said, it'll drop in price just as quickly as the others, and unless you're playing tournaments, I struggle to find a reason for you to upgrade. Money burning a hole in your pocket?

*edit* That being said, you'll probably only have to spend $150 or less imo to upgrade from your DM10 to a dm14, so it's really not that much of a risk. I'd do that over the m2 if I had to pick between the two.

PaintballDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

^ Lol, no so much.

Nah, just looking to stay "somewhat" current in what I shoot before parts start getting difficult to find. The biggest issue is honestly the efficiency. Much like it's bigger predecessor, in comparison the older DM's are pretty bad air hogs. The local likes to keep his fills around 3K, as it cuts his work...so I end up at the air box after every game.

Still interested in hearing other opinions, if y'all wish to share. I know painthappy is practically on the edge of his seat over it.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
I see dead people

CCM Fan
You could do as Benji suggested and update your DM10, or buy a DM14 and sell your DM10 to recoup part of the cost. Another option is to go to a bigger tank, like an 88/45. I really like the DM line but hate the efficiency so I switched to using poppit guns like the PEs.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
You could do as Benji suggested and update your DM10, or buy a DM14 and sell your DM10 to recoup part of the cost. Another option is to go to a bigger tank, like an 88/45. I really like the DM line but hate the efficiency so I switched to using poppit guns like the PEs.
I certainly cannot complain about the Ego and like markers. Superb shooters, quite efficient and rugged as hell. I have been looking a bit at some of the older 10/11 Ego, but of course the value isn't there. (the flip coin to that depreciation)

Mostly I like spoolies because they are so quiet.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

My DM6 was smoother, but I really enjoyed the M2 I shot for a day.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOESPUD27 View Post
My DM6 was smoother, but I really enjoyed the M2 I shot for a day.
Tell me more....

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone