mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siress View Post
...I have got to get my butt up to OSG sometime. The fields look amazing, I've heard nothing but great things through the grapevine, and now this thread... Class act, guy. Keep it up.
I made the >2 hour drive up from SE Mass this past weekend for my first time at OSG. Completely worth it. Very impressive operation they have going on. One can tell they put a lot of time into the field and genuinely care about player experience.

To put in my 2 cents on the thread, I'd play more if I knew more about scenario games/events that are taking place. Most fields (OSG being a rare exception) either don't update their websites, don't utilize social media, don't post on forums, or all three. Maybe there's good reason for it, but I sure as heck can't think of a valid reason other than potential exclusivity.

Other themed games would make it fun to go out. Like pump-only days, or mechanical/capped ROF days. Old school days where people sport their older gear would be a heck of a good time and an opportunity to see some of the gems from yesteryear.

And last, but certainly not least, a better social atmosphere would make me more inclined to go out. Obviously paintball is more fun when you know people who play.
Discohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #132 (permalink)
The Largest in NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Good post. How long ar ethe lenses lasting before replacing approximately? How are you cleaning the masks...are you removing lenses and then dunking the masks? Dunking the masks without removing the lenses? Wiping and not dunking masks at all? Do your renters wipe their own lenses when covered in paint or dirt or wet or are they instructed to have a staff member do it?

Sorry for all the questions, but curious how you are handling the thermals.
We take them all out and hand wipe the lenses with microfibers. The masks get dunked in a cleaning solution separate from the lenses.

We let players wipe the outside of the lenses with paper towels and water at our mask cleaning station. We instruct them to not wipe the inside (not all listen but the majority do). Our refs all have microfibers to wipe the Inside. We have about 275 or so thermal masks and after two seasons we have replaced all the lenses at least once.

Is it extra time, $$, and kind of a PITA at the end of the day? Yes. Are we now making more than we are spending on them? Yes..and players love it.
Instagram | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
OSG Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #133 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Good post. How long ar ethe lenses lasting before replacing approximately? How are you cleaning the masks...are you removing lenses and then dunking the masks? Dunking the masks without removing the lenses? Wiping and not dunking masks at all? Do your renters wipe their own lenses when covered in paint or dirt or wet or are they instructed to have a staff member do it?

Sorry for all the questions, but curious how you are handling the thermals.
I'm half-asleep but I'll try to make a good post here

I have a fun trick for anyone listening on how to make the Helix thermal lenses last forever so long as they aren't getting beaten and scratched

Getting thwacked in the lens up close will immediately remove the defogging ability of the lens

How to remedy it is to wipe with a soft microfiber rag until all the liquid spatter is gone and then VACUUM SEAL the lens with a FoodSaver
This sandwiches the two panes back together and sucks the air out between them

Let it sit for awhile and cycle-in a fresh new Helix lens. When that one gets thwacked and a player complains that it no longer anti-fogs, you take out the one that is in the FoodSaver vacuum-sealed bag and put it in his mask (or hers ?)

A microfiber cloth is all you need to clean the lens

HERE'S THE BEST PART OF THIS POST
and was my best-kept secret:
I get my microfiber bags for my masks here

The small size 13.5"x14" offered is the same size that Empire issues for their premium masks
and you keep the masks in them for storage, protect the masks from scratches, have referees carry them in their pocket and wipe players' faces

Last edited by Pittsburgh Stinkbugs; 11-15-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #134 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Those bags are cool thanks Stinkbug. I'm going to try the vacuume bags with my JT lenses that delaminate.

Whenever I introduce people to paintball I set them up with one of my extra masks. I always recommend a quality mask being the first paintball purchase.

One of the biggest complaints with rentals and new players is fog / lense issues.

I think it's fantastic that OSG can make dual lens masks work on a rental fleet. It's such a small thing that can realy make the first time experience.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #135 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You're welcome! I think masks are more important than the guns or anything else, because at least with a good clear mask you have the chance to see your opponents and can capture a flag sometimes even if you don't have a paintgun. The other protective gear like kneepads/elbowpads and athletic protection (and ankle protection?) is second in importance and lets players get really low to the ground and move quicker without the threat of banging up their bones and joints against whatever obstacles are on the field. And then paintball-to-barrel matching comes after all that. So those are my helpful tips of the day to any new players reading this that want to get into paintball at their local field --
The field doesn't have to provide these because they're cheap enough that an educated player can prepare and outfit themselves adequately for their first or second game
Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #136 (permalink)
Pump Fiction#86 BaBa YaGa

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Im not the one that needs the convincing unfortunately, i have to insure that we have nothing planned and then i have to ok it with the wife cause honestly its not fair to have to ask her to watch our newborn on her own so i can go out and shoot some fouls lol. other then that i have been really trying hard to make it out to the field.

other difficulties are finding players to go with and fields that are not laced with sand i hate sand even when im at a beach o spend most of my time in the water lol

CLICK>> Feedback - Wish List - Sale/Trade - Patch Sale
TCPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #137 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
and another thing I am my worst enemy!!! im the type of guy that wont do a certain task unless im absolutely sure i have everything i may possible need for it, its stupid i know but i like to be prepared and i like having all the equipment or tools necessary. that is another reason i dont go out and play as often. if im missing a part on the marker i wont use it even if it still functions it would drive my nuts to not have it complete. im such a weirdo man.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #138 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCPaintball View Post
and another thing I am my worst enemy!!! im the type of guy that wont do a certain task unless im absolutely sure i have everything i may possible need for it, its stupid i know but i like to be prepared and i like having all the equipment or tools necessary. that is another reason i dont go out and play as often. if im missing a part on the marker i wont use it even if it still functions it would drive my nuts to not have it complete. im such a weirdo man.
This is funny. I do the same thing yet I yearn to be an ultralight player
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #139 (permalink)

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
This is funny. I do the same thing yet I yearn to be an ultralight player
Ugh!! I know its pathetic lol i bought this molle tactical vest thing thinking i need this than i commissioned another lighter chest rig which i like better. Now i have too many rigs lol

I couldn't decide what i wanted so i bought every single part from CCI and had it anodized because thats totally necessary right? and now i have enough parts to make 3 phantoms (see sig link)

its a curse i tell you.

Dont even get me started on trying to get into mags!! What was i thinking!!

I do this every damm year i convince myself that i need to get the best equipment and i buy everything in sight, then i play once.

But...

I love every min of it.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #140 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Aww rigs are simple! You wear a hoodie, and then you cut the sleeves off. The hoodie is to protect your neck area. Wear a pull-thru squeegee around the hoodie so that it shrinks your neck area. Then you cut off the midriff area of the hoodie so it looks super ghey. This is to keep your body cool in warm weather. Then you get a nice comfy T-shirt and wear that over the hoodie so no one accuses you of the ghey (not a problem, I just don't like getting hit on by other men). Then you wear a shotgun belt over your waist around the T-shirt, and on the belt have the cigar tubes of paintballs with the speedcaps, but turn it around so its on your back so you can curl into a fetal position if everyone starts shooting you at the same time.

When you use up a cigar tube you throw the empty tube down the neck of your T-shirt so the belt you're wearing outside the T-shirt catches it.

Attach a holster and a zippered pouch for your 12 grams to the shotgun belt and voilaaaaaa

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone