mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ballin'

We've always used midland ltx600 radios at Fulda Gap (hills and a decent sized field) on high power without much issue. We just use the privacy settings, nothing we say needs its own channel. External boom or throat mics for ease of use. VOX is decent if you're not a heavy breather.

I'm too cheap to buy anything better and haven't had any issues.

No Paintball pics/vids yet, but hopefully soon.
Morella Photography
Jmorell818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorell818 View Post
We've always used midland ltx600 radios at Fulda Gap (hills and a decent sized field) on high power without much issue. We just use the privacy settings, nothing we say needs its own channel. External boom or throat mics for ease of use. VOX is decent if you're not a heavy breather.

I'm too cheap to buy anything better and haven't had any issues.
That would be unlawful usage of GMRS if you (or someone in your immediate family) didn't have a license (as on that radio, you can only switch to high power on the GMRS frequencies). While it's certain that most folks can and do get away with this, it's not something I would recommend.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

So a quick breakdown of what I understand so far:

FRS - No license, need to purchase newer variants (1.5W-2W versions) for best results, High usage levels so unused channels are harder to come by.

GMRS - License required, allows up to 5W, Moderate usage levels.

MURS - No license, communication better than FRS/GMRS radios in the woods, limited channels but lower usage.

VHF - Don't bother with this one(?) I see people saying elsewhere that it works great for paintball - more research needed.

UHF - HAM license needed, will work fine for paintball(?) UV-5R is a good option.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
So a quick breakdown of what I understand so far:

FRS - No license, need to purchase newer variants (1.5W-2W versions) for best results, High usage levels so unused channels are harder to come by.

GMRS - License required, allows up to 5W, Moderate usage levels.

MURS - No license, range may be somewhat better than than 2W FRS/GMRS radios in the woods, limited channels but lower usage.

VHF "Marine / Maritime" - Don't bother with this one(?) I see people saying elsewhere that it works great for paintball - more research needed.

UHF / VHF - HAM license needed, will work fine for paintball(?) UV-5R is a good option.

I've revised it as above, in red. Note, just for clarity, FRS and GMRS are UHF radios restricted to just the frequencies for FRS and GMRS.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sweet! Thanks again! This should get me moving in the direction I need.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ballin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
That would be unlawful usage of GMRS if you (or someone in your immediate family) didn't have a license (as on that radio, you can only switch to high power on the GMRS frequencies). While it's certain that most folks can and do get away with this, it's not something I would recommend.
I picked one up, I think it was only ~60 for 5 years. None of my friends has one though.

No Paintball pics/vids yet, but hopefully soon.
Morella Photography
Jmorell818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

HAM here.

Get a Baofeng UV5R series and be done with it.

While you're at it, get your technician license so you're legal. It's not hard, it's not time consuming.

The Baofeng can also Tx/Rx on FRS frequencies (not supposed to transmit, but monitor is ok) so you can at least listen to other traffic if you are part of a larger group. Your team can communicate on other freqs that only other HAM radios can monitor or use.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I have the BAofeng mentioned above. Solid little handset for the price. I use it just for monitoring.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
HAM here.

Get a Baofeng UV5R series and be done with it.

While you're at it, get your technician license so you're legal. It's not hard, it's not time consuming.

The Baofeng can also Tx/Rx on FRS frequencies (not supposed to transmit, but monitor is ok) so you can at least listen to other traffic if you are part of a larger group. Your team can communicate on other freqs that only other HAM radios can monitor or use.
Yeah the lisence is way easier. Even easier than spelling the word license apparently haha.

Im an enginner
Wait, enganeir
No, engianer

Im good at math...

So far the uv5r looks to be best bet

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

The license to get for ham is the technician

Also, for those of us interest3d, which uv 5r? There are a couple of options on amazon. The 27$, 34$ or 65$ one?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Last edited by LT72884; 11-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone