mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho with a wrench

Smg 68 patent

Mod if I walked in the wrong door plus let me know and I ll move it to somewhere else.

I was thinking today and I after a little bit of research I've come to realize I can't find a simple answer. When does the Smg 68 patent expire? I read through the pdf but by the end I was cross eyed trying to understand everything, let alone if Tippman still holds the patent (I see hsbc in Canada has something to do with it now). Can someone enlightenment me on how long a patent is valid for in this case?

He's the link I was reading through for the Smg 68 specifically Patent US4819609 - Automatic feed marking pellet gun - Google Patents

And yes I get the Smg 68 is a copy written name in its own right. You can get where I'm going with this idea if that patent is going to expire any time in the near future
Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Wikipedia - Term of patent
In short, it expired a while ago.

Some interesting prior art citations, and some interesting patents (well, more so the names of the applicant, I didn't take the time to read them) that reference this patent.

The most interesting prior art that I looked at was this one, Patent US3695246 A - Pneumatic machine gun with photo cell interrupted circuit.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho with a wrench

That's a handy link and info! Many thx ��
Old 12-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
The most interesting prior art that I looked at was this one,.
Thats part of the infamous "navy gun" patent.

Way back 15 years ago when SP was on its rampage to put everyone else out of business, lots of research was done on the old "Navy gun".

Which was, basically, an electronic, full auto, paintgun, for milsim training, with eyes and everything, build back in 1970. There is a bunch of patents related to this gun, which as far as I know never got past military trials.

Basically, invalidates the SP patents. That said, Smart Parts never won any court cases. They stuck to the "litigate the small companies out of business" model, and compromise with the big companies that had there own questionable patents.

Anyway, thats all history.

Haveblue has a great collection of paintball patents here. He found a way to convert them into PDFs without having to pay for them. Pretty much everything paintball related up until 2005 or so

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah, I got to miss out on the whole Smart Parts sues the world fun as it happened during my 10 year (2002 to 2012) hiatus from paintball.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Psycho with a wrench

Apparently did I. except I'm 2001 to 2016 lol
Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known about the SP thing. It's not a widely publicized thing.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone