mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
phantom comes to mind.
I'm definitely leaning this direction. The Phantom looks pretty customizable, and I think I could even design a smaller grip frame to fit small hands. Though I'm looking more in the $100 range, so that might be harder with a Phantom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Pump... definitely a Phantom... That is what Athena, my step daughter, was using at 10. She can tear it down and reassemble it without an issue.

Semi... Any of the Ion based markers. They are cheap, light weight, and fairly simple to work on. If you grab one of the mechanical ones they are super simple to work on.

Ty
Can't decide yet between pump or semi. Ions are more in my price range though

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Man, that's teaching early. By the time the kid is 10 and can play at a pay field, should be a beast.

Invert Mini.

Cheap, easy to work on, reliable. Small.
I really like the mini (and the axe for that matter). But - electronic guns tend to make me trigger happy. And even a safety concern, since the trigger can be so sensitive, I can already see him shooting his foot...or my crotch...accidentally of course. I think i want to stick with something that has a mechanical trigger, with a little bit of weight to the pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
Why not find a .50cal Spyder? STBB like your Kaos, but just slightly scaled down.
Thought about this, but all my other stuff is 68 cal. Still a viable option though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunderin View Post
eNMey. I picked one up on a whim, the performance to cost is staggering. Tool less tear down, light weight since it is mainly composite, no electronics to worry about. With enough o-rings I would guess it would last until she is ready to hit the field.
I like this idea, all except that the eNMey looks a little big. And then with a tank at the back bigger still. Making me lean back toward stock class...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Brass View Post
PGP2? They're a little heavier than some of the other suggestions here but this is MCB after all. Start the brass addiction early...
This could work honestly, since he could do a stock setup and avoid a heavy tank or remote line or something unweildly. I've been looking forward to getting into brass anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKNIGHT01 View Post
While you will get your fair share of boos....
I wont be one!
I applaud anything that gets kids interested on the mechanics and maintenance of things. As of late this has become a dying thing, as kids are more interested in snapchat and video games.
"Mechanics" are starting training not knowing the difference between a Phillips or a slotted driver.
I taught my 7 yo the basics of soldering and by 8 he was doing simple circuits, My 14 yo knows how to change oil and brake pads. They have learned valuable lessons but most importantly the safety and respect of the tools involved.
There are so many technical aspects to these markers, even on a simple level. Even learning how to take something apart and organize parts so they can be put back is a lesson in itself.
Feed off this early interest in them! the lessons he learns now at his age..especially on the safety end...will carry with him much longer.

That being said....and always safety IS the first lesson...
imo...any tippmann 98ish thing will do. Not too many different sized rings, and the mechanics are basic.
Parts are large for smaller hands and the parts themselves are pretty robust. most rings can be sourced at the local home depot. I started mine on a Gryphon...
same guts as a 98....at half the weight.
the plastic shell has lotsa screws which is good...itll work his hands more to build strength and manual dexterity. NO screw guns! make em work!.
if i had one laying around...or find one...ill give to to ya! hes a future mechanic and foundation to the next wave of players to keep the sport breathin'!

Good Luck!
I LOVE getting kids into anything mechanical, especially my own!! My 2 year old daughter already helps me spin screwdrivers, and knows righty tighty lefty loosey . Organizing disassembled parts is a great idea too, I'll have to work on that one with them.

I definitely appreciate the offer for the Gryphon! Sounds like a great gun - how is it size-wise? About the same as the 98?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
I have an eNMEy or three sitting around. They are easy to maintain and don't have a bunch of little bits to get lost with.

Otherwise, pumps like CCI Phantoms, PMI Tracer, and ACI Maverick are also fun choices. You could always do a Goblin as well
Ion, eNMey, and Phantom seem to be at the top of my list right now. I know nothing about Trracers or Mavericks - how do they compare as far as ease of disassembly?

Goblin!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
That's crazy, I can't even tech my own marker.

That said, I do know a guy selling a mini over in the bst. *Shameless.plug*
I have seen that Mini... honestly considering it for myself, haha. As for my son - like i said above, shying away from electronic, at least at first.
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
I see plenty of IONs and Spyder's floating in the sub $100 section.

If I gave one of my kids (at that age or even their present age) a marker, I would probably remove the ASA or something... so that, if in a fit of rebellion or whatever it is that makes little kids not listen, they couldn't run air to it (if they knew where I kept my air and paint, which they do)
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was going to say a mini based solely on its small size, then I remembered I hate electros. Teaching them how to pull a trigger correctly with a pump or semi should be first priority.
Carlito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I was going to say a mini based solely on its small size, then I remembered I hate electros. Teaching them how to pull a trigger correctly with a pump or semi should be first priority.
Hear hear!

As far as Phantoms go - is there such a thing as a "beater" phantom that can be had for around the $100 mark? I imagine most phantom owners take good care of their markers. What's a good "budget" alternative to a phantom?
Rainmaker's Feedback
Old 01-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
I need this!

Diablos, trracers, or razorbacks are phantomish nelsons. NW spitfires are in the same class as well. Phantoms just have the advantage of modularity and available new parts.

Always looking for a Woodland Camo F1 Illustrator. Got an extra?
Rusty Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

I'm also thinking about just putting a 12g changer on the vertical ASA of the Kaia. I'm guessing I wouldn't get very many shots out of it, but If I made it a stick feed as well, that would help make those few shots last a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rainmaker's Feedback
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member - Super Newbie

I've got a PMS Brute and an ER2s if you'd like one or both for him. Let me know, this thread made me smile.
Tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post
Why not find a .50cal Spyder? STBB like your Kaos, but just slightly scaled down.
Definitely. Weighs almost nothing and simple to maintain. Kid already has an affinity to STBBs.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

The simplest things will be nelson based pumps like Trracers and Phantoms. The simplest semi's are normally Spyder clones like Piranhas.

A basic nelson clone like a Phantom is very, very simple. It really doesn't get any easier. It will get decent enough efficiency without any real tuning and can get damn good efficiency if you are inclined to tune it. They can be very light too.

Spyders are very simple, almost all parts come out easily and even the valve is easy enough to service. A quick strip bolt in the back makes most of the parts just fall out, 3 allen screws remove the asa/low pressure chamber/whatever and frame which gets you into the valve and cupseal. The only thing you can't easily work on is the trigger itself but it rarely needs touching. Get a top cocking or flush cocking model for added safety, I caught my trigger between the beavertail and bolt once, it jackhammered my thumb until the beaver tail gave way. Only happened once and was a fluke but I still remember it. Older Piranhas are usually pretty nice for cheap STBB's. 12g efficiency is not on par with the nelsons.

Tippmann clamshells can be frustrating for some but if he has the patience then they aren't too bad other than the valve is not easy to work on. Remembering all the pins for the trigger and how to place the parts takes getting use to but its not too bad. Most of the Tippmanns I have handled were never light or small, I see a 4 year old struggling with a 98 even with a 12g changer on it.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
the oddballer

Semi shamless plug I have 2 direct feed phantoms. I was looking to get more than a hundred apiece. But for a fellow Mcb member I can hook it out on one of your intrested.

One catch tho you have to teach him how to fullly disassemble and lube it up then posts video of it. Haha. I would say you also have to polish the internals but that key be a bit Much haha

Ps also have a proton super light for when he is ready to make the hump to electro
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone