mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
chk-chk pew chk-chk pew

Walking Stick,

Here’s how I intend to go about addressing the trigger and thumbscrew relocation problem:

That little square thing in the trigger frame is the sear elbow. Just extend it a bit somehow and I’ve got a functional trigger.

The thumbscrew fits quite snugly in the CF frame’s trigger rod slot. It’s almost perfect, really. Yes, I’ll now have to remove the grip panels to take out the valve, but it’s a small price to pay.

Also, extending the magazine followers is an option, but I want these magazines to be shared with my DAM’d H7, and I’d rather not compromise magazine compatibility with an already working gun.

Last edited by Ghost Flanker; 02-13-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Ghost Flanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have an uncomfirmed theory on the below crono speed.
I think enlarging the breech hole leads to an inadequate seal on the bolt chamber
I tried several different valves and bolts on my project,all of which cronoed fine on a standard setup
Look forward to see what you come up with
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Previously blasdgag

I'm very interested to see what you come up with. I have nothing to contribute though, so just pulling out the popcorn now...
Rainmaker's Feedback
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
chk-chk pew chk-chk pew

Hey, kids! I posted a video up on the youtubes that shows my prototype firing. Check it out:
https://youtu.be/mVVHlCoEFsk

By the way, the on/off assembly I’m using in the video is a ULT.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
chk-chk pew chk-chk pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher068 View Post
I have an uncomfirmed theory on the below crono speed.
I think enlarging the breech hole leads to an inadequate seal on the bolt chamber
I tried several different valves and bolts on my project,all of which cronoed fine on a standard setup
Look forward to see what you come up with
When you say you enlarged the breech hole, did you remove more material than what would be needed to form two right-angle corners on the back of the breech hole to make a D-shape?

To test your theory that the breech hole is venting too much gas, swap out the Doc’s adapter for any standard twistlock barrel and measure the velocity with roundball. If it still shoots low, it would indicate the culprit lies elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Flanker View Post
Besides, not everyone can own an FN 303, but if I pull this off as a viable home mod that others can follow, then any Automag owner with simple tools can have a magfed mag.
-It is going to be no such thing as a "simple tools" mod, and even a loose interpretation of "viable" is going to be iffy.

One option, although it negates one of your requirements: Go with a fixed magazine.

Get some square tubing, similar to an SMG-68 magazine, and weld it directly to the 'Mag body. Fit it with a follower, probably made from Delrin, that 'stops against the front two corners of the D-shaped hole in the body, but has a projection to push the last round all the way up into the breech.

Have a slot in the side of the mag tube so you can retract it like a .22 pistol magazine follower, and have a hole in the back of the mag tube that rounds can be dropped into.

You can have a pin, or a clip or something welded to the back edge of the mag tube near the body, so that a shortened section of rail can "clip" onto it, maybe even wrap around a little to help blend things together.

Other options: A trigger shoe can be fabbed from steel or stainless and TIG welded to the sear rocker. You'd install the rocker by sliding it through the rail from underneath, then inserting the pivot pin. The grip frame would have to have a notch milled into it to allow the shoe to slip through into the trigger guard.

If you can find somebody good with a TIG and some stainless sheet, you could have a magazine well welded to the 'Mag body, in order to use the mags you want. The rail could clip on as noted above.

An interesting option: With a little clever work, how about a Tiberius magazine, and power the Automag with the 12-gram? That would rock.

How carried away do you want to get? Weld a low sight rail to the top of the mag body, and have it stick out past the back of the body tube. Drill and tap the valve for a valve retaining screw hole facing up, and run a short screw down through the top of the sight rail. Not an easy mod, but it'd make field-stripping way easier.

And BTW, if you get moving on this mod, just drop me a line. I'll mill out the barrel adapter for you at no charge.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
chk-chk pew chk-chk pew

Doc,

I really like all these ideas, especially the fixed magazine and the Tiberious magazine mods (either of which could make for an extremely cool Mauser C96 style pistol!), but I don’t have access to a TIG welder.

And I really appreciate you offering to mill out my barrel adapter. I just might take you up on it after I successfully mount the magwell. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
I really like all these ideas, especially the fixed magazine and the Tiberious magazine mods (either of which could make for an extremely cool Mauser C96 style pistol!)
-Get one of the new rifled barrels that are supposed to work with FS rounds, and add a small telescope. Cerakote the whole thing black.

Voila`! Han Solo's blaster.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
When you say you enlarged the breech hole, did you remove more material than what would be needed to form two right-angle corners on the back of the breech hole to make a D-shape?

To test your theory that the breech hole is venting too much gas, swap out the Docís adapter for any standard twistlock barrel and measure the velocity with roundball. If it still shoots low, it would indicate the culprit lies elsewhere.
I suppose I could have enlarged it too much.I had thought the adapter might be the culprit at one point ,but my 2 friends mentioned used FSR modded twist lock barrels with the same velocity issues so I've kind of ruled it out.
I''ll note also my barrel retaining nub was also removed in the rail "milling",the Docs adapter is held in with 2 set screws that go thru the sight rail and body on both sides so subbing a twistlock is almkst out of the equation for my build personally,though I suppose I could use the same system to retain the twistlock
Its also a necessity to me to use a rifled barrel and Cocker threaded is a good option.I already have an Ion& Cocker fins for a 14 " HH

We did have higher fps with roundball but to me the draw of anything magfed is solely for FSRs

I like Docs ideas of a fixed magazine,I'd love to have a mag the could be loaded with 10 Rd tubes or "pez despensers" myself.

I like your progress already,you're motivating me to brush the dust off my own project
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
If you need additional rigidity after removing the front screw from the body, I'm thinking that drilling and tapping the rear of the body in a couple places would allow you to use set screws to bite into the valve to help hold the body in place. You'd still need additional support further up the line but every little bit helps.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone