mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Marker recommendations, and a question about quality

So I am looking into picking up another electro. Not that I need it, my primary is my SSR and I only play speedball occasionally. I want to have a full armory for myself and a few friends so they don't have to rent, plus I enjoy trying newer/different guns as their prices come down.

I currently have a geo 3 and an ego 7 for my loaners. I am on the fence between picking up a classic axe/axe pro or something else by eclipse. My eclipse guns have always been solid. I have never had the opportunity to play with an axe. When I held one at Badlands, the solenoid did not click for the first few trigger pulls. This already puts a bad taste in my mouth. I've done a lot of reading and found that the axe solenoid may need to be reset, which seems simple enough. I'm not nuts about the grip frame on the geo 3 but the gun is a solid shooter; the ego feels very comfortable. I've held an axe with tank and rotor and it feels pretty good as well.

So I guess that whole shpiel leads to the question: are eclipse guns that much better than the axe? I'm not concerned with high end features, I'm looking at reliability and build quality. Ego solenoids cost upwards of $150 and axes' are under $40. Does this mean the ego is that much better/more robust? Would I be kicking myself after buying a used axe instead of picking up an LV1?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew
drewkroeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bad Juju

I owned two axes for several years and the only problem I ever had with them was the solenoids getting dirty and sticking or just plain going bad. I've seen it happen on friend's axes as well.

As someone who takes extremely good care of all his toys, I never quite understood why this happens. I ruled out dirty air, because it doesn't happen to other markers with the same regularity...just axes. I tend not to put a lot of lube on moving parts, so I don't think extra lube getting in there and gumming up the works could be the cause.

I have no science to back this up, but my personal hypothesis is axes like to be shot and shot a lot. If not shot enough I think the solenoid gets bored and lazy. My play style tends to lean toward shooting less rather than more, so maybe that's why it happened to me all the time. No idea.

Last edited by ClarkGryphyn; 03-05-2018 at 09:15 PM.
ClarkGryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
mag shooter

honestly I would say pick up a used gtek. similar feel to what you know. easy to replace parts. quality customer service and your already familar with spool markers. I would go that route over getting an axe.

My shop page: Bearded Works

feedback(https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the same thing happen to friends Axe. I cleaned the solenoid thinking it was a dirty fill, and it worked like a charm for a couple if days and it came back. I emailed KEE about it and they told me to keep doing what I was doing; he ended up trading it before I could ever figure out if they were being credible with me.
pummel u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

I got to sit down with a Kee tech when the PDD was about to be released. He gave me a couple tips with the noid for trouble free operation...

1: A drop of oil on the inner piston helps.
2: Filing a tiny amount of the bottom corner of the piston will help keep it from suction sticking.

Also OP, if it took a couple trigger pulls for the noid to click, that could just be a low battery taking a little time to charge it.

-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
2: Filing a tiny amount of the bottom corner of the piston will help keep it from suction sticking.
I hope this isn't a case of, "we understand that this is a problem and we're not concerned about changing it."
pummel u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pummel u View Post
I hope this isn't a case of, "we understand that this is a problem and we're not concerned about changing it."
I think it's more a case of "We made a million of these. They work, but our techs found a way to improve it slightly."

And I also understand that isn't an acceptable mod for some people. Just passing it along as an option. The Axe for the most part is solid for the money... even more so on the used market.

-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras

Last edited by nofxkid2005; 03-05-2018 at 10:47 PM.
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofxkid2005 View Post

Also OP, if it took a couple trigger pulls for the noid to click, that could just be a low battery taking a little time to charge it.
This was something I had not considered; I never really thought to bring my own batteries to fiddle with a gun in a store but it actually makes sense, who knows how long the original battery was in there.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I will be scrolling through the B/S/Ts for another eclipse gun.

Drew
drewkroeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

I would recommend a PE 'gun all day over a Kee.

One, PE is known for good quality.

Two, you avoid buying anything associated with GI Sportz and the cancer they are...

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Land of OZ

I've always had good luck with MacDev Droids and they are cheap to buy now.

They are solid markers with no fancy screens or modes and they have an old school on/off switch - simple to use and clean.

Must admit I'm also rather fond of the ION XE. With a few upgrades they still impress me.

Mike

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone