mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Basics

What's Your Paintball Story?

A thread dedicated to how we got sucked into the best sport ever invented!

Here's how I became infected:

When I was in grade 6 or 7 my parents sent me away to a week long summer camp up in Muskoka. There was a bunch of activities that were available at an extra cost, I got to choose two: High ropes (think playground 30'-40' up in trees) and paintball. I can't remember when I found out paintball was a thing, but I had always wanted to try it. At the time, I was big into nerf, so I figured it was like nerf but way better.

Anyways, we finally get around to the "field", a section of the forest with a few rudimentary bunkers constructed with fallen trees and piled logs & brush. We were handed the masks and BT4 combats, both of which were heavily used. We started off just with campers vs campers, then it eventually turned into campers against the counselors, some of which had their own gear. I had no idea what marker this guy was using, but it must've had a burst mode as I only remember getting hit twice in quick succession whenever he shot at us. He also had a ghilie suit, which made it extremely difficult to find him, much less see him, partly due to the extreme fogging of the sh*tty goggles. It was so bad I shot the ref by accident, which of course prompted him to shoot back, not to mention we couldn't even recognize friendlies.

It was awful. It sucked not being able to see anything and getting hit from the undetectable sniper was quite intimidating. I guess because I was young and stupid I didn't learn anything, I only knew that I wanted to play again. The next time though, I'd have my own gear or at least my own mask.

I ended up having to wait a few years to finally get my own stuff, my first marker was a Maxtact TGR2 I bought used that leaked like a mother***. I fixed it, got a the whole magfed setup, and got to play more often. One particularly humid day at Georgina PB, I was shooting at this guy maybe 50 or 60' away. I could not hit him, after 10 rounds I gave up, my marker was sighted in, but the balls were all over the place. After that day I started looking for a new gun. I had been reading about autocockers for a while, and even though it was widely known that they are not really more accurate, I found a local guy selling a Trilogy Pro for 60 Canadian pesos, so that was my first cocker. I played with it once and could not get over the performance increase vs my TGR2, which costed 12 times more. I was hooked on the closed bolt accuracy bandwagon, and here we are today. That trilogy is now a pump, and is accompanied by a soon to be finished prostock, a phantom, and a pre-2k cocker as a birthday present to my self that I'm waiting on.
Play pump, don't be a hoser.
My Feedback
Shopping List
For Sale
smirmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Daddy

Dan: "Hey, Chris. We have a coupon for this paintball field. Do you want to come try it with us?"

Chris(me): "Sure."

This was 15 years ago. I'll let you know if I ever sucked in.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
the oddballer

A guys pb bitrthdau party. After “let’s all do this again” only three of us went back. Only me and one other have played since and I’m the only one who collects non space markers or any markers at that haha. I hate them for it. But it’s so much fun
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-im-broke.html
Feed back
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

First time was going out in the woods with a couple friends and trying to use a borrowed brass eagle junk. It wouldn't shot. A year later I bought my first gun. Haven't stopped buying and playing since. Although as I get older mkre things get in the way of the playing part.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I went with a bunch of co-workers back around '97 to what was at the time called The Foxhole in Linglestown, PA (now Linglestown Paintball). The bug bit me hard and I immediately started shopping for my own gear. I ended up with a Spyder TL+ which I eventually sold to get my Bob Long Signature Series Cocker and my first Phantom. I played fairly regularly up until around '03 when things started getting tight. Ten years, a new degree and a more stable job later, Lurchness Monster invites me to go playing again. I dusted off the old gear and got bit by the bug just like I did before. A couple games later The Flounder invites me to join the team (previously Hansbury's Horde - now The Expandables). The rest is history.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Met a kid who moved in down the street in 2000 who’s parents had bought him an impulse and apparently played with his dad all the time. Went out with them once and got hooked. Went and bought a 98 custom with all of my birthday money that year. I eventually upgraded years later to a dm4, and then got started buying and flipping markers used. played a little tournament ball when I was a teenager, never won anything but it was fun. Took a hiatus during my sophomore year in college when money got really tight. Graduated, started cooking professionally for a living which prevented any sort of weekend play for a long time. I started playing again this past year after 8 years off.
Benten89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

I really wanted to play for my birthday back in 2000 and I did.

What an idiot.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunny Pump

CCM Fan
So was team gopher in the late 80's for my dad's local team made up of all USAF guys. I finally was allowed to play in the 1991 with a notarized parental wavier at 12 years old. I got to play against all the guys in my dad's squadron which also included some team members. Played on and off through the years but really started playing a lot more over the last 10 years or so
war009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was in the Navy and several of my shipmates [and D&D partners] saw some of the original Bob Gurnsey articles in the news/media. We thought is was a good way to get "out of the house" and have some fun. So we bought a couple of paintguns [Sheridans] and played outlaw a couple times then one of the guys saw an add for Vanguard Paintball in Columbia South Carolina. We went as a group one Saturday, played all day and then we ordered all of the guns/gear we needed from Dennis Day [owner] that night to be all kitted out. I've been playing ever since then Nov 1988.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Back in late 1986 or early 1987, a friend, Arthur H asked me if I'd like to go to the local field, Virginia Adventure Games, and play. I used a bolt action Nelspot 007. Paint was $2 per tube and CO2 cartridges were $1 each. Paintball was too expensive to play more than 3 or 4 times a year.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak, Freak XL compatible and Equation inserts in .670, .678, and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO

Follow Brass Monkey Customs on Instagram and Facebook (work in progress)
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone