mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #41 (permalink)

I am lucky to have a local field that wants everyone to play. and if the rentals want to mix it up with the locals they can.

Most of us are magfed and the ref will explain that our guns dont shoot harder or faster and actually shoot slower than the rental x7

if they say no then they get to do their own thing.
I remember one time a church group came through doing a prom theme
we all wanted to mix in with them
funny thing was all the girls wanted us to join and already chose who was going to what team
it was the guys that were scared

so we cheered from the sideling and ran out to resupply the players with paint
and we let them shoot at us
we still had a blast
cujo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo613 View Post
so we cheered from the sideling and ran out to resupply the players with paint
and we let them shoot at us
we still had a blast

Some of the most fun Iíve ever had was playing loose enough to be a reasonable target for ten year olds. Their faces been with joy knowing they got their first hit.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

I hear you 1 shot. Last day out was my best day ever and myself and two friends got stuck with the party of 10- year olds. It was a relax and enjoy the time kind of day, since the intensity was so low.

I also really hear the "adopt a noob" idea, but why not adopt them all?

I usually carry an extra mask cloth and barrel swab for anyone that asks, help tech the guns on/off the fields for the basic stuff, support the refs as much as possible, and call out the nice shots and plays on either team as I see them. Which is all fine and good once we're playing, but I still struggle helping bridge the player that is sitting scared out of their mind before their first game... granted it was an 8 year old, so maybe it was too much for them at the time. Still. I imagine the no goers in the OP were probably having similar feelings.

Maybe they could have been given personal body guards and extra respawns? Something to help them feel adjusted for?
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
If you walk on to play with a group of renters, you will be toning down your play and equipment. It's best for the business and for the sport.
It's not that complicated. "Babying players" a little but ensures they have a good time. That makes sure they come back. And that can lead to a new player.
I agree. You want the new players to be return players, but eventually you can take the "training wheels" off and expect a few bloody knees, if you will.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #45 (permalink)
Post Whore

I went to a different field here in Atlanta this past Saturday. The place was busy to a level I haven't seen on field in some time (with where I have been playing). There were over 140 players that day, all in the same group but about 20 who were there for a little girl's birthday party.

There were a couple of (for real) pro players out goofing off (Eclipse guys...got really nice look at the new CS), there were about 15 various team guys out, most of them from a D4 team messing around. The guy that runs Meteor (with the cocker bodies) and a few of his friends. About 100 or so of the people that came and went were either totally new (I hear "first time" a lot) or rental walk ons.

The field asked for 285FPS, 10.5 ROF. I didn't ever determine if "bunkering" was allowed, not that there were many situations it even could have happened with the number of people on field. Groups were broken up by numbers and we played all day without incident. None of these new players were given some break or expected not to play the same as the rest of us.

By and large, I noted what I note elsewhere. All the "good" players tended to gravitate towards shoot outs with the other "good" players. Most of the time we would just overlook the new kids hanging out the bunker, etc. It was wonderful.

Going up to try another local field in a couple of weeks, Nitro.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Glad to hear you had a more positive experience!

Tacking on to what other's are talking about with adopting newbies, whenever I'm in a game that mixes with newer players when I get eliminated I'll hand off my gun to a rental kid on my way off the field. At first they look at you incredulously/fearfully, but once they get to shoot a "nice" gun they starting cheesin' wicked hard. The last pump day I went to in NH I loaned out my CCM to a kid who was using an ancient Trracer and he didn't stop talking to me about it the rest of the day.

Paintball is fun, excitement breeds excitement. I think it's possible to overly "baby" new players in the sense that they need to get out there and get dirty to really enjoy the experience, but there's never an excuse for being a dick.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sounds like just the prescription to cure what ailed ya.

Sometimes the nostalgia hold us back from making changes that can really benefit. I guess there is more that one (paintball) fish in the sea around you.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Refugee from TechPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
Paintball is fun, excitement breeds excitement. I think it's possible to overly "baby" new players in the sense that they need to get out there and get dirty to really enjoy the experience, but there's never an excuse for being a dick.
QFT
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Iím a one man army.
But also, thereís a another guy.
-Mar at his finest-
-My paintball field map project (currently on hold)-
BigReRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
I disagree 100% new players need to learn the ropes before the local Dbag hoses them down in a hale of electro paint spray.

If a first time player walks out on the filed and gets hosed down because of an inexperienced electo player has no trigger control or respect for the game. They don't come back. Ever

Theres one at every field and they need to be kept in check. An experienced player will play to the audience for the day. You can still have fun and respect the game. It's the middle of the road brand new electro guy with a case to burn and something to prove. Those are the guys you have to watch out for.
Yup. I keep a couple NSG Splatmasters in my bag for those days when someone's feeling intimidated. It's almost impossible to be scared of a fat old dude in hawaiian print with a spray painted plastic brick.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #50 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
x2
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone