mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
If I get tagged with anything not a paintball it’s going to lead to a problem on the field.

We just discussed shields in the other thread and basically all agreed it depends on the game. I think if you want to use props for your own defense or even as a gag, that’s fine, I’m not a monster... but the second a foreign object becomes in play as an offensive tool, it is too much.

I’m not saying I’m going to turn around and swing my tank at you, but why even risk someone getting startled? Step back and shoot me or gimme a good one in a place that doesn’t make you an *******. No need for touching.

Edit: I feel as though a lot of you guys are replying as if we’re playing each other, the MCB community. You gotta remember that there are usually hundreds of strangers in a scenario game, each person with their own style, background and purpose... from pump to speed ball, from your weekend baller and first timer to guys who really enjoy the scenario’s plot line and get into the story... it’s what I love about the game style, but it’s also why I don’t think we should get too up close and personal.
In a rec/walk-on situation nothing but a marker of your chosen type and paint IMO should even be used - as far as the frying pan on FBook goes - any magfed only game or similar I don't consider rec play so...

But any "big game" - mfog - scenario - etc etc
If I am able to sneak past all your mates and then get close enough to you to place an appendage, foam frying pan, "barrel" or "cold steel" on your - and we are not talking a physical attack of any kind but usually a friendly tap at most - shoulder, gun, pack or whatever happens to be convenient why would or should I give up my stealth advantage by shooting you just for your convenience or sense of "safe space". Hell I have walked up to a group of guys and introduced myself with a handshake and then informed them they all needed to walk to the deadbox and wait for the next spawn window - it took them a minute and me quietly pointing to my visibly taped forearms and biceps and they were all royally pissed at the time but they walked off and we had a good laugh after the game...

Being able to clear out a whole section quietly of people without alerting anyone shouldn't be restricted by someones "issues" but only by the game rules - if it is restricted and it happens a ref is usually in shouting distance to sort it out ... if it isn't restricted and even at some games encouraged and has rules pertaining to what is and isn't allowed just don't expect me not do something you might not like if it is permitted simply because you don't like it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
We're playing paintball, not larping.
We're *playing* a game, not fighting for life or death. I can choose to inflict less pain on you, but if you don't believe in surrender/mercy rules in a recreational sport that's another equally prickly conversation.

I-Surrender.jpg
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
Unrelated: What does a guy running a T8 need multiple pods for?
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Daddy

I gotta agree with “we’re not larping.”
The being “startled” comment was simply one reason it feels like a bad idea.
I believe more than just Blue play with the attitude of “shoot me if you want the kill.”

Realistically, if you tell me I’m out, I’m probably going to walk away. But no guarantees. I’ve been at EMR and had guys trying to surrender each other through the wall windows. They simply ducked.

If you want to roll the dice on a player taking the courtesy of a surrender, that’s on you. But unless there is a rule stating I can’t get within X feet, I’m taking the shot.. and I’m taking one, clean shot to the back or something. I’m not going to light you up or aim for the head or anything crazy. In fact. Typically if I can surrender you, you don’t know I’m there, so I’ll back up a few feet and give ya the one shot.

If you’re a guy into props and storylines and whatnot, more power to you. I wish I had that sort of imagination, but this isn’t war, this isn’t a mystical land of make believe, the game is you get shot and you’re out and that’s how I play it.
...and don’t you god damn dare ever use a ref And imaginary sniper shot to eliminate because I will mock you. (Is that a common thing or was it just the one lame scenario I played? Ha)

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Quote:
If you want to roll the dice on a player taking the courtesy of a surrender, that’s on you
...and don’t you god damn dare ever use a ref And imaginary sniper shot to eliminate because I will mock you. (Is that a common thing or was it just the one lame scenario I played? Ha)
Absolutely. Mercy moves are always a gamble.

Ahaha, and yeah that happens. I get why, when one team is steamrolling the other you don't want 50% of your customers to leave and never come back, but it's a contrived way to balance the game.

Next time I should just make a rubber can of worms, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Unrelated: What does a guy running a T8 need multiple pods for?
1 pod, for reloading between games, lol. Also the pack holds my 17ci. I didn't have shingles for 10rd tubes yet and didn't like leaving spare stuff laying around the field.
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 04-16-2018 at 12:49 AM.
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Daddy

That’s not to say that props aren’t cool. Just not necessarily for me, yet...
it took a long time before I was even comfortable with scenario play, and now I love it. I find myself directing people and everything. Not that they listen, but **** ‘em!
I have been toying with the idea of a more tactical setup. Camouflage gun, clothes and even marker. Maybe something a little less electro and a little more tactical mech.
I have no problem sitting in one spot picking off players for a bit, then maybe switching it up and playing in my jersey and whatever ridiculous old spike filled marker I have that day.

See? I’m experimenting! I just can’t justify the funds in new gear for that. And wouldn’t really know where to begin.

But I digress. It’s a bit off topic.

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Thatís not to say that props arenít cool. Just not necessarily for me, yet...
it took a long time before I was even comfortable with scenario play, and now I love it. I find myself directing people and everything. Not that they listen, but **** Ďem!
I have been toying with the idea of a more tactical setup. Camouflage gun, clothes and even marker. Maybe something a little less electro and a little more tactical mech.
I have no problem sitting in one spot picking off players for a bit, then maybe switching it up and playing in my jersey and whatever ridiculous old spike filled marker I have that day.

See? Iím experimenting! I just canít justify the funds in new gear for that. And wouldnít really know where to begin.

But I digress. Itís a bit off topic.
just stick someones mag adapter (there are a few out there) on whatever marker of your choice, play in camo and start out with a small "cold steel prop" - the only investment would then be in an adapter, a few mags and a bit of plasticized rubber which are usually re-saleable at close to retail if not wanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

I live for the shoulder tap. I hate shooting renters. And getting barrel tagged or barrel tagging a gun owner makes for great epic play stories.

It does need to be explicit though, so people know there's an dummy running around with a foam frying pan and not a real one.

I envy that dummy.

I think barrel tag outs are pretty universal. Mercy calls can get confusing. My rule of thumb is mercy call renters, give them a chance to opt out. Gun owners I assume will just turn and fire if not tagged.

This game is totally adult 300fps food fight tag. It's adrenaline inducing, but should still be fun.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #29 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
It depends on the audience. Some of the Ninja Squad Guys have been known to carry foam Ninja swards at some scenarios. Mostly local ones ware everyone knows each other. Often our group will split up play agenced each other to help balance teams. It’s kind of bragging rights if they get you with the sword. Most people perfer the sword over a few close shots except for the ones with the “big ego” and still new enough to have something to prove.

I can see people getting there panties in a knot when they get bunked this way. Especially at some random field. The same way they get mad when you pop them in the throat by accident up close.

As for surrenders I’m not taking it ever but I offer them frequently especially with new players. Unless it’s a rental or the rules require surrender. Even then it’s hard to turn off.

Keyboard tough guys always come out of the woodwork “larping” “nobody puts baby in the corner” guys. The reality is at the time your not throwing hands so just stop with that. Paintball is about having fun leave the ego at home. If the guy can get close enough to smack me with a rubber homemade frying pan good job you earned that elimination. Just don’t get mad if you get shot in the throat trying.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Last time I went out to play the field I was on had a 10' surrender rule. I was not a fan. There was a guy running around with a shield and a pistol and he kept running up to bunkers to surrender people. Only reason he didn't get shot when he did it to me was a gun jam.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Last edited by a.greenleaf; 04-16-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: ingrish
a.greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone