mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-26-2018, 02:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Previous Paranoid User

I love my V-CAM (multicam) Valken Zulu pants. I scored them used here I believe, and they are very adjustable for my varying waist (33"-37") and physique, and have reverse zippered side pockets which helps keep personal items in place. The left side cargo pocket also has a pocket for a swab, and the stretch V-TAC portion works well. The padded crotch and velcro waist straps are a bonus too. Knee pads are good in them, but just like my Tippmann Spec Ops pants, I'm going to add a neoprene/pad insert to beef them up. My knees are bad as it is, so anything to help works for me.

I have a Massif knock off top that is L/L, but fits so tight on me that some walkons at my local field said it "looked like I had A-cup tits". I'm not sure what is up with current USGS sizing, but everything I buy now has to be "fat man sized" (I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs) Now I just rock a Rothco XXXL multicam t-shirt and everything is good, or a US Army multicam L/L top (which fits right, so...) on colder days.

Valken's soft goods are pricey new, but it's a quality product, and you can find them used for a reasonable amount.

Then again, I have pretty much every camo pattern of BDUs (marpat, multicam, DevGru, woodland, ACU) because the local thrift stores in CO have a ton available for cheap.

FEEDBACK - https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
EBAY FEEDBACK - https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...yer&rmvSB=true
DirtyLoincloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

I was looking for Zulu pants, but just scored a pair of new Tango pants off of Amazon for $33. Figured at 1/3 of MSRP it was worth a risk. I'd pay that much for used BDUs so no complaints.

They're Tiger Stripe 2XL only at that price, but link in case anyone else is interested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should be here by Monday. In the mean time, I'll find a jersey to match and see how it goes from there.
Drunkonunleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

what little i have used my V-Tac Zulu pants i really like them.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

I quite like my multicam V-Tac Zulu pants. Lots of mesh down the back, good elastic material at all the bendy bits, lots of padding (though I still wear kneepads underneath), and cargo pockets with a swab slot.

I also quite like the Zulu gloves I picked up when I wore out my last mechanics gloves. They seem to be wearing less than mechanics gloves despite the fact that I wear them all the time as cycling gloves too. As an added bonus the index finger and thumb can work touch screens (seems pointless during paintball, but great for general use).

For a shirt I just wear a classic Hawaiian t
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonunleaded View Post
I was looking for Zulu pants, but just scored a pair of new Tango pants off of Amazon for $33. Figured at 1/3 of MSRP it was worth a risk. I'd pay that much for used BDUs so no complaints.

They're Tiger Stripe 2XL only at that price, but link in case anyone else is interested:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should be here by Monday. In the mean time, I'll find a jersey to match and see how it goes from there.
I still have a pair of the heavy nylon, cheap Raven pants that went for 20-something a pair. I bought the large, thinking I was a medium, but they were too small. I gave those to my son and bought a pair of XLs. They are hot, but outstanding for cactus.

Cheap pants may not be what you want to wear all of the time, but they have uses.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mar
Carter's wife's boyfriend

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonunleaded View Post
My Flecktarn BDUs have seen better days (and so has my waistline, for that matter), and for the past month or so I've been searching around for new pants and a jersey, but am having a hell of a time finding something more "traditional."

I loved the old JT Team and Cargo pants (not the newer ones, which fit me terribly), but there doesn't seem to be much like them on the market nowadays. The DBD pants look to be one of the few "traditional" options out there, but I really like having the elastic material near the crotch/inner thigh and lower back.

One exception I've found is the Valken stuff (Zulu Pants/Tango Jersey). FWIW, I have no real experience with any of their gear, but it looks like it fits the bill as far as features go. Does anyone have real-world experience with them? Are they of decent quality or am I better off going with a set of black HK Hardline pants or similar? I see a lot of jerseys nowadays with built-in gloves and such, and would like to avoid that if at all possible as I prefer normal Mechanix gloves.

I know I can try to look for military surplus stuff, but for the money I'm almost better off buying new.
If you want BDU's, and apparently like FLecktarn, I can point you to the single best Fleck BDU on the planet. 500d cordura knees, built in gaiters, all the pockets, removable foam kneepads that are substantial... lmk.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Bad Juju

I'm interested, Mar. Point me at them.
ClarkGryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
If you want BDU's, and apparently like FLecktarn, I can point you to the single best Fleck BDU on the planet. 500d cordura knees, built in gaiters, all the pockets, removable foam kneepads that are substantial... lmk.
I'm in....
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingbenign View Post
I wear these at work and they hold up well for daily wear and construction so I'd trust them for paintball.....
I use Duluth Firehose Work pants for playing paintball and have done so since the mid-2000s. I've yet to have to replace a pair.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
I use Duluth Firehose Work pants for playing paintball and have done so since the mid-2000s. I've yet to have to replace a pair.

How hot/warm are they?
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone