mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

"Traditional" Woodsball Pants/Jerseys?

My Flecktarn BDUs have seen better days (and so has my waistline, for that matter), and for the past month or so I've been searching around for new pants and a jersey, but am having a hell of a time finding something more "traditional."

I loved the old JT Team and Cargo pants (not the newer ones, which fit me terribly), but there doesn't seem to be much like them on the market nowadays. The DBD pants look to be one of the few "traditional" options out there, but I really like having the elastic material near the crotch/inner thigh and lower back.

One exception I've found is the Valken stuff (Zulu Pants/Tango Jersey). FWIW, I have no real experience with any of their gear, but it looks like it fits the bill as far as features go. Does anyone have real-world experience with them? Are they of decent quality or am I better off going with a set of black HK Hardline pants or similar? I see a lot of jerseys nowadays with built-in gloves and such, and would like to avoid that if at all possible as I prefer normal Mechanix gloves.

I know I can try to look for military surplus stuff, but for the money I'm almost better off buying new.

Last edited by Drunkonunleaded; 04-25-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Drunkonunleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Intermidiate

Never used the Valken soft good before, but I hear mixed reviews on them. Killhouse has some good looking stuff out too, but again, never used it. I always stick with milsurp.
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Keep an eye out for some new pants to hit the market from a company called Maxt Sportswear. They do custom jerseys now. They have a Facebook page but haven't talked much about their pants to come out soon.

I opined on the "Scenario Paintball" page on FB recently about my desire to see a good pant in OD green for woodsballers. Viper chimed in and rattled the cage of the guy at Maxt Sportswear (he evidently knows the guy) and it would appear that they are adding OD green to their list of colors when this new pant hits the market.

I believe his release date is sometime this spring but can't confirm that.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Try Mars new dbd pants.
-Duncan
dkv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Purveyor of STBBs

Thanks, I'll check Killhouse out.

Surplus stuff has been hit or miss for me. Flecktarn sizing is weird and I hate buying online for that reason. Most of the combat shirts and whatnot that I've seen are Chinese knock-offs, which NEVER has fit me well.

Even the newer ACU-type gear (in Multicam, of course) is weird. I wear an XL shirt and around a 48L jacket, and picked up a newish XXL combat shirt. It fits like an OG Under Armour. I'd be tempted to have my tailor do a custom combat shirt, but the pants have been a real sticking point for me. I have a few pairs of Woolrich tactical cargo pants, but they're too hot for 90* days and the crotch on a few pairs have blown out from running/sliding/whatever.

I'm leaning towards the DBD pants, but that still leaves me needing some sort of jersey, and I'm still concerned about fit with something I can't try on in the store. The old ones looked about perfect from a features perspective (elastic panels, etc.) but they're obviously no longer being made. Social has similar ones, but nobody stocks their stuff locally. Last year, I tried to order the new JT cargos off of Amazon and tried three sizes which all fit terribly.

Last edited by Drunkonunleaded; 04-25-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Drunkonunleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1484...4478382937969/

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Intermidiate

I personally just wear the old Canadian OD tunics and pants. They have plenty of adjustment in them.
BLINDMAN Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonunleaded View Post
One exception I've found is the Valken stuff. FWIW, I have no real experience with any of their gear, but it looks like it fits the bill as far as features go. Does anyone have real-world experience with them? Are they of decent quality or am I better off going with a set of black HK Hardline pants or similar? I see a lot of jerseys nowadays with built-in gloves and such, and would like to avoid that if at all possible as I prefer normal Mechanix gloves.
I've been wearing the same Valken VTAC pants for about 10 years. The only feature I wish they'd have are kneepads, but it looks like the newer ones have those so I'd wear them in a heartbeat.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
5.11 Tatical paints in OD green are my go to. Lots of useful pockets for stuff cargos I use as dump pouches and they are durable.

I’m considering grabbing a pair of DBD pants Mar just released they look sweet!
Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I wear these at work and they hold up well for daily wear and construction so I'd trust them for paintball. I wore an old pair over the winter to play and the tool pockets fit an exalt swab perfectly. The ultimate style I linked also had sleeves to put knee pads in. The standard style doesn't have that feature but comes in more colors. I know they aren't traditional but for scenario games I'm highly considering these over my Raza pants this next season.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone