mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, insurance won't allow "casual refing". That's a corner we won't cut. I've seen groups that could be fine by themselves but there's always a risk with folks you don't know. Frankly their playing with your reputation. If a players having a bad day for other reasons like a girlfriend break-up or divorce. (or God forbid both!) hehe just kidding! They won't remember that player X was a turd, they'll just remember they went to your field and it wasn't much fun.
As for reffing the mobile games. I need 2 people. One on field with the players and the second at a safe distance with the gear keeping the next players from wandering up and watching the game from 10 feet with no goggles. So, I'll be 60 yards or more away getting the next group ready and once the ref gets the on field group done I'll send the batch in as the others arrive to turn in gear. Then I clean reload and get the third group ready while 2 group plays. It really can run very smooth that way. But honestly they would walk right into the middle of it if you didn't hold them back. These aren't experienced players so you have to keep them safe. They may have never seen paintball before. JonnyD. look forward to seeing you again. You were always fun to have on the field. You can always tell when a player loves the sport. We build our indoor up for low impact using 68's at 220 fps. No interest at all. As a mater of fact after a total refit down stairs in a year we got 3 paintball games and 2 airsoft games on it. A total of 14 paintball players and 12 airsofters. You know it's kind of funny, but we've been chatting for 3-4 days about this and we haven't got a Maine player to comment yet????????
Old 05-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Ayuh.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Daddy

I’m shocked mobile is helping you stay afloat, I did on mobile game and it was, uhh, not good. I won’t mention where for fear that it was yours. But I doubt it, I think they were a one and done kind of deal.

I don’t know how any paintball fields stay afloat. It’s an expensive, painful game. Our local field used to be ***. I should rephrase, the refs were garbage. They were punk kids that belittled people that weren’t in tournaments. Then I stopped playing for about a decade and when I went back it was all new refs and the environment was super friendly and now I’m happy to play.

It also helps that they’re the only decent field in this part of the densely populated state. Ha.

Good luck, man. Sounds more like a location issue (Maine is huge and empty) rather than a bad business.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
I wish I was super wealthy and could just run a field at a deficit and not care. That's my dream, to get wicked rich and just run a field however the hell I want for funsies.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
I wish I was super wealthy and could just run a field at a deficit and not care. That's my dream, to get wicked rich and just run a field however the hell I want for funsies.

But you know, even then the trick is getting people out to play.

Back years ago when myself and everyone we knew was interested in paintball, it was easy to get a game on. We played a lot of renegade ball, and still could...have half a dozen good places to play minutes from the house. The issue is, none of them or anyone else I come in contact with is THAT interested in it any more.

Even "free" renegade ball has it's costs. With people on HPA you have to share (quite) a few SCUBA bottles between everyone, fill stations, a good chrono. It was "marginally" easier to do renegade on CO2...and someone still has to make paint runs. IDK if it's still as easy to get a skid dropped on your driveway as it used to be .
Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

We were scheduled to have 2 major projects this season. The first was to finish last years refit of our Urban field. basically replace about 6 buildings that have done their service and have very little life left. We didn't get it finished last season as the money coming in wasn't adequate to the task. But the other one which I was so looking forward to was an elevated deck at the front of the shop where the players could have a great break area. We wanted to put on a 40 X 16 deck with chairs and tables and set up our 3 grills that the players use right on it. I always thought the story telling of the events of the day was part of the overall enjoyment of the experience. So if you want to take a break maybe cook up a few hotdogs grab a drink and just chill for 1/2 an hour or so. You could do it in comfort. Now this sort of improvement doesn't make us a penny. It's just us giving back to the player. But when the players stop coming so do the improvements. I remember when we went away from the portapotty service because we put in a real septic system with 2 flush toilets. Doesn't make us a penny either, but the players like it much better. That update was almost 15 grand. Or when we added air conditioning to inside break area. Didn't make a penny from it. But on those days when it's 90 and humid players seem to like a break in the cooler area. Sometimes it hard to get them back on the field though. When I first started, I guess my players had a feeling of ownership. We were building this out of nothing so they took a little pride in our accomplishments. Now when a new player comes on scene, we are already up and running so there is no feeling of I'm part of that, I helped make that happen. I wonder if that's the reason so many players today have an adversarial relationship with fields?

Last edited by dutchman; 05-05-2018 at 07:46 AM.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

I first starting playing 33+ years, and I've seen paintball go through lots of cycles. Typically in sync with the economy since paintball is the definition of a disposable income.

Smaller fields would open and close with each cycle. Larger fields would ride it out by running lean. Paintball came out of the woods in the 90s, which gave fields more revenue streams.

But in the last 15 years, there has been a measurable decline. There are still cycles, but larger and larger fields are closing up. Fewer are reopening, and many are switching to more other formats. ie Airsoft, low-impact paintball, rock climbing, tramp parks, other outdoor stuff.

Here is a great graph

It shows the number of people doing paintball-related searches in the last 15 years, verses airsoft, and trampoline parks. It shows yearly bumps, as you would expect, but a steadly decline. Yet you can see a slow increase in airsoft and trampoline parks, to the point where currently, they are searched more on google then paintball. Think about that.

Paintball is not going away. But fewer people are playing. Maybe there are too many other things to do (ie airsoft, video games, whatever) diluting the user pool, or maybe fewer people are interested in an expensive, painful hobby.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

The numbers do look like it's lost the market share and that is never good for a business. I'd look at that and say it is possible paintball could be dying.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Refugee from TechPB

Ugh. Scary.
Originally Posted by a.greenleaf View Post
I told you this would happen if you all used the same toothbrush.
-From The Great Collective Takeover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
I’m a one man army.
But also, there’s a another guy.
BigReRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

Now I'll admit I'm in an area that isn't very wealthy. So when money gets tight it gets tight here first as they don't have much extra to spend anyway. So maybe I just notice the change quicker. But we've always depended on attracting players from a 50 mile radius for regular play and up to 100 miles for a special event of some kind. That required players that were a little more dedicated then what we see today. Oh there are still some that are committed but for the most part if it's sprinkled that morning about 1/2 the group doesn't want to play. They aren't driven like before.
One of the side effects of having to get people to travel is that we have to try harder to give them a good time. We know our location puts us at a disadvantage, so we keep prices low and we provide the very best experience we can offer. Some people see the value and love it. Others are willing to go to a smaller field and pay a little more but they didn't have to drive much to get there. Kind of a convenience store logic. I had my first group of the season today. A giant 3 player. We ran for them, one was from NY the other 2 from FL. They had a blast thought it was the best field they had been on and when they checked out were surprised that with everything including rentals they averaged 60 dollars for 5 straight hours of play. The general feeling was we were about 40 dollars less then their usual fields back home. Made me feel good to be appreciated So the groups are getting smaller and less frequent. Sounds to me like this sport we've tried so hard to keep alive is in trouble. We old timers are "aging out" and the new players aren't coming in fast enough to replace us. Less players mean smaller and less frequent play which isn't as much fun. That leads to even less people joining which keeps the death spiral going until it crashes.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone