mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
Daddy

The sport won’t die, it’ll just revert back to its origins of outlaw fields.

Paint is stupid expensive, I don’t know what you, as a field owner, pay for paint, but for me to play a game, I’m looking at:
Note: I play mostly rec ball electro. An anomaly around these parts, but likely the most common player on the field besides rentals.

Entry: $15
Paint: $60 Roughly, and I shoot the cheapest.
Air: $5 Usually included when you buy a box of paint.

So just to play for a few hours a day, I’m at $80 WITH MY OWN EQUIPMENT.

Add lunch and drinks to that and you’re at almost $100 plus travel for but a few hours of entertainment....

For a scenario game: that price more than doubles. You’re talking:

Entry: $60
Paint: $140
Camping: $20
Air: Included
Food:drink: $75-100

Total for the weekend of scenario: priceless! But also upwards of $300

Ah ****, **** this... I’m quitting.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

Last edited by Riot; 05-06-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Well I can see your point, our paint is 60 a case but it's very good paint. Not the cheapest by far. we do charge 17.50 entry for the entire day. That gets you use of our propane grills so if you bring dogs or burgers you can cook them yourself for free. Up until this year sodas and bottled water were free. Now we've gone to 50 cents each. We don't charge extra for scenarios just the standard field fee. When we did have camping it was free. But it got abused so we don't do that much anymore.
My average player runs between $50 and $60 a day with rental gear a bit less with private, but sometimes the guys just throw more paint to get into the same area. We try to design the games so you don't need to shoot as much as other places. You still can, but you don't have too. Most of my guys burn 6 to 7 hundred rounds a day. In a scenario add about 50% to that. Now we are geared to what our guys can afford. If they wanted to they could shoot more. Of course, but they don't have too. Conn. folks make much more money then we do up here. I think your state average income is about twice of Maine's. So you fields figure they can charge more I guess. My old man left me with a few words of wisdom that were useful. One of those sayings was if you want to find a bargain buy from the poor people, because they need to sell it. Lots of truth in that.

Last edited by dutchman; 05-06-2018 at 09:47 PM.
dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Daddy

CT has a reputation for making far more money than we do. A few rich towns really up that average. I assure you, most of us are broke. But I understand your point.

As for the cost... that’s still a lot of money. Imagine paying $60 every week for ONE DAY of activity. It’s not your fault, paint is just expensive and paintball is an expensive hobby.

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 05-07-2018, 12:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Sir, with all respect when I started 32 years ago paint cost me 8 cents a ball I resold it for 10 cents. Now it costs me about 2.5 with the shipping I sell it for 3 cents. It isn't that paint is to expensive. Your style of play causes you to shoot more then you can afford. I understand! If you could find the enjoyment in playing with less paint the sport would be reasonable.

My first 68 special was 369.00 in 1993 and a 20 ounce tank was 60.00 to go with it. Now you can buy a 98 custom with a 20 ounce for 139.00. If you added in inflation that makes that 68 special almost a 600.00 gun today. With a blazing rate of fire of about 3 balls a second with a very good shooter. The technology arms race in paintball has taken it out of the comfortable reach of many players. That's why folks think it's to expensive.
You control your trigger finger so you control the cost.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Daddy

I suppose it would be pointless to say that I can afford personally since, you know, we’re on a paintball forum.. maybe it’s different up there but aside from renters, I feel like I’m the normal rec baller and it’s an expensive hobby,especially for your regular Joe Schmo or high school/college kid. That’s all I meant. I am not accusing you of being too expensive, just the game in general.
In any case, I wish you success in your livelihood whether it be paintball or the unfortunate idea of adding something more gimmicky to your place likes ropes course.
If I’m ever in Maine, I’d love to check the shop.

My MCB Feedback:

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

I thank you for your kind words and thoughts. I think I may have found the path I must take to keep the field alive. Much of what shapes my thoughts comes from the input from these types of discussions. I was surprised to see we've been doing all this discussion for a week on a thread titled "active players in Maine" and we only heard from one Maine player. That may be a telling sign right there. But again I think I have my course and if it seems to be logical I'll change my heading a bit and take a gamble. Thanks again folks!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Lol, I recall paying over $80 a case for good paint from a SHOP. It wasn't unusual to pay over $100 on field for good paint. It wasn't until years later that paint came down to the $60 range.

I equivocate paintball with golf as far as cost. To play at a good field, or a good course is about the same. There was a time that there were 6 different golf courses almost within walking distance of the house. Now there is one that is city sponsored near-ish to me.

I think the biggest issue facing all manner of outdoor sports is that it's easier to be entertained at home...and in honesty, the kids are lazy and soft. Good TV and home audio systems, good internet, great gaming. On top of that, take a look outside in your neighborhood. See any kids over 4 years old out playing without their parents?
Nah, me neither.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #28 (permalink)

Spot on Punkncat.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Spot on Punkncat.

It's really a shame. Let me preface anything I say with:

"Get off my lawn"

With that said, there are almost 20 children from age 4 up to older teen living in my neighborhood. I see the youngest of the young children out with their parents. I know the rest of them exist because I see them waiting on a school bus, and very seldom, see them walking to one another house when the 'rents get tired of their **** and make them get out of the house. I NEVER see these kids out playing. My son, who graduated a few years ago, would go to a "park" but more along the lines of a getting in trouble than actually doing anything. Heaven forbid that most of these kids see a bug or have to use the bathroom in a port o let.....

I honestly cannot recall being inside as a kid unless the weather was REALLY REALLY bad, or I was grounded. Constantly on the move, doing something, getting into something. Of course, we didn't have the internet, cell phones, or really anything worth a damn on cable to watch. At least one of those haven't changed.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
I grew up in the 90s and we had internet and video games, at least once I was a tween or so. I still spent the vast majority of my time running around outside and getting into it.

I don't think technology itself is to blame, I think it's parents using it as a babysitting device that makes it so that kids don't even really consider "adventuring" as a viable option when they're bored. Instant gratification and constant entertainment is a weird crutch.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone