mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I think at this point, between airsoft and the violence in TV, movies and video games...paintball isn't going anywhere. Times have changed.
"times have changed" isn't really a good argument for trying to say they will now stay the same. Paintball was once viewed as was games and violent, enough bad press to a new generation of voters and parents and it can go back to that

There was a time when all parents believed that vaccinations were a good thing and yet with no science behind it some parents now claim they are bad for their children and will not have their children vaccinated putting not only their child but other children at risk as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang*Bang** View Post

Plus, all legal ramifications aside, who wouldn't want to take to the street in a massive game of paintball? Totally illegal, but totally fun too.

Everyone who lives on that street

You are talking about a fictional scenario, basically a field set up like a city street.

The difference is these gangs obviously don't care about the effect they are having over the community that is supposedly "theirs" to protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
If you took out the innocent people, imagine how ****ing cool this would be!
You mean like playing at a well set up field?

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
UnSon of WALZ

Word.

*flashes MCB gang sign*
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
"times have changed" isn't really a good argument for trying to say they will now stay the same. Paintball was once viewed as was games and violent, enough bad press to a new generation of voters and parents and it can go back to that

There was a time when all parents believed that vaccinations were a good thing and yet with no science behind it some parents now claim they are bad for their children and will not have their children vaccinated putting not only their child but other children at risk as well

Everyone who lives on that street

You are talking about a fictional scenario, basically a field set up like a city street.

The difference is these gangs obviously don't care about the effect they are having over the community that is supposedly "theirs" to protect

You mean like playing at a well set up field?

Yes, that has houses, store fronts, cars and the like.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

There are 2 news stories I recently came across that I want to bring up in this matter

"Paintball fight left toddler dead. Teen suspect smirked in court, sparkling brawl"
- Charlotte observer

If you actually read the article, there is almost nothing paintball in it. The mother of the toddler thought she saw a marker at first then the gun went off and she realized it was a firearm. Her toddler was killed. But the way the headline reads this is a toddler being killed by a paintball marker

"Paintball shootings splatter cities after rapper calls for swapping handguns for paintball weapons"
-usa today

Within a week or so we have gone from them being called paintball guns to weapons in the media

A weapon is not something you play a game with in the eyes of the public

We just played one of the largest games in the nation, around 2000 players, raised roughly $15k for charitys and there is not a single news story about it.

Someone drives down a street and does a drive by using a tippmann 98 though and there are a dozen news stories about this paintball "weapon" on the streets

Last edited by Trbo323; 05-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

ya well thats the sissified media these days.
personally i think they wont be satisfied till every scary stick is confiscated
cujo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Trbo, I see your point and agree with you. The newscasters will spin whatever truth into a lie to fear monger, capture viewers, and pay their unethical a$$e$.

What I find ironic about this is the scare tactic is that they're describing them as "weapons," "guns," or "rifles."

Doesn't that conservation usually end up in the second amendment? Isn't that where any policy changes or movements for change go to die?

Kind of reminds me of a video I saw... Ah! Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJqfNroFp8U
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:

Doesn't that conservation usually end up in the second amendment? Isn't that where any policy changes or movements for change go to die?
Sure, but if paintball markers started getting lumped in with firearms the second amendment would protect your ability to own then but then that would also open them up to the same regulation as firearms. Background checks, wait periods and registration and legal age to own as well as some states requiring you to have them locked up when being stored or transported.

If I remember right this is the way it is in Germany, when was the last time you heard about the paintball scene in Germany? (It does exist it's just very small)

As is only a few words in the definition of a firearm is what separates paintball out. All it would need is a politician riding the wave of a movement wanting to push his first major bill through to get something like that changed. As long as they had the support of the general public behind them it could happen.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

I follow your logic, Trbo. Granted, it could happen. It's scary to think what could happen to paintball if it did... but do you think it would? Really?

At this point, they're primarily young black gangsters (except for this, eariler this year), so I can see where it would be easy to create some kind of discriminatory policy based on that alone. But any logical politician would have to look at enforcing that kind of policy/law, and that's where I think the concept falls apart.

Any law enforcement agency that's going to enforce "paintball gun policy" harsher than "gun policy," is a joke waiting to happen.

From my perspective, that's a little bit of what this paintball gang war is spurring from.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I follow your logic, Trbo. Granted, it could happen. It's scary to think what could happen to paintball if it did... but do you think it would? Really?
Likely i would say no, not like In the next month or so. But for instance look at the me too movement. I'm sure whoever started it never thought it would turn into what it has. In the first month it probably wasn't large either but get it out to enough people with enough momentum and you can make some real changes.

Quote:
Any law enforcement agency that's going to enforce "paintball gun policy" harsher than "gun policy," is a joke waiting to happen.
Ok but consider this, if a state decides that they will now enforce gun policy for paintball the real problem has nothing to do with the laws or policies for that matter it's that little jimmies mom will now not even consider letting her little boy play the sport because they are "guns" and "weapons". Jimmy may be 17 but his mom is now telling her book club about how she made the wise decision to not allow her baby boy to play a sport that the state government feels needs the same policy as firearms.

Yes I know this is somewhat fictional story (it has happened as far as protective parents not allowing their kids to play the sport) back to what we were talking about though I do think it is unlikely that any real change will come to the sport but I for one don't want to just sit back and say nothing on the subject either

I already have and I would encourage you guys to do the same if you feel this way but I made a Facebook post basically saying please don't view the sport of paintball in a negative light because of "guns down paintballs up". The real movement should just be "guns down". The sport does not condone violence and is filled with some of the nicest people out there that most parents would want their children to be around.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Fire Avatar by Flounder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
The best thing for paintball is to stay out of the news, and off the politicians' radar. It has no constitutional protection and no broad public support. There are already some potentially troubling "imitation firearm" laws in a couple states
A: Society sucks

Join us next time for another episode of Existential MCB
Feedback

CAX

I am "SPARE EDDIE"
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone