mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Land of OZ

Anyone Still Using a Q Loader?

Just wondering if anyone is still using a Q Loader these days and how they find it?

I played around with one back in the day and whilst I enjoyed the technology it never really lived up to its hype on the field. It was fiddly to load the pods, easy to break paint during the change over if you weren't paying attention and didn't give you much of an advantage over the newer force feed hoppers.

Still, I'm thinking of dragging it out again for old times sake

Mike
Old 05-12-2018, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
the oddballer

i have 2 q loader setups
one is a g1 i bought off here haven't actually shot it yet I lost a piece for the marker its self.
the second is my iframe impulse it rips.
Im thinking about doing an infinity legend of pump build with one having decided yet. there is a qloader owners group on facebook if you're on there.
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...feed-back.html
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all good

CCM Fan
Had a G1 QLoader setup on a RAP4 mount on an A5 like ten years ago. I despised the damn thing!

Perhaps I woud have appreciated it more if I had tried a G2 model on something other than a Tippmann.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew View Post
Just wondering if anyone is still using a Q Loader these days and how they find it?

I played around with one back in the day and whilst I enjoyed the technology it never really lived up to its hype on the field. It was fiddly to load the pods, easy to break paint during the change over if you weren't paying attention and didn't give you much of an advantage over the newer force feed hoppers.

Still, I'm thinking of dragging it out again for old times sake

Mike
Loading the pods was much easier once I tossed that stupid banana-with-a-hose thing and put an old Revvy directly on the crank socket. Almost every loading issue I ever had was due to empty spaces in the ball stack.

In order to prevent breakage while changing pods, you had to "tune" the length of the feed hose to your specific gun. Basically you'd cut one "ring" at a time off of the corrugated hose until the joint where the pod disconnects was always between two balls in the stack. When I had mine running, I made hundreds of pod changes without breaking a ball.

The Q had a massive profile advantage over having a hopper on top of your gun, though that doesn't matter a bit in rec or tourney play. I played almost exclusively scenarios with it, so for me, having the heaviest part of the gun under the centerline meant I could carry it around on a sling all day without worrying about it. Having a hopper above the sling attachments either makes the gun want to flip over or the hopper to fall off.

Functionally, it was a big advantage over the agitated gravity hoppers that were the standard when it first came out. Shortly after, though, force-fed hoppers started to show up, and it's true that the Q didn't give you better feeding than, say, a Halo...

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fish Sh**s

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
PPS Fan
I have used them before and while they are a bit finnicky, they're a pretty decent system. Definitely second ditching the loader thingy in favor of at very least an agitated loader. I used an Evo3. I don't have my kit anymore, but I'm thinking of picking another one up for next year.
FEEDBACK
Steam & Origin: Redivulpis
Redivulpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Land of OZ

Thanks guys,

I had mine fitted to a Cocker some years back and whilst it worked fine I never got comfortable with it. I might give it another go on a social day for a bit of fun.

Mike
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used to have one on for my ULE Automag, but I found that it was way too hard on paint. You need to be very careful with how you load the pods because there's so much pressure from the spring pack.

If there's no paintballs in the feed tube, the paint will fly through it when you engage the pod and you will most likely have at least 1 broken ball when they hit the breach.

They're a pain to clean, you gotta keep changing the pods because they only hold like 100 paintballs, some of the pod packs aren't compatible because the pods are larger than normal pods, the feed tubes can come off sometimes and the whole pod will empty on the ground in a split second, etc

I literally threw mine in the garbage because I was so fed up with it and then ended up buying a centerfeed body with a Rotor lol
NightCrawlerBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grumpy Lurker

They come up for sale in the Facebook BST every 6 months or so.

I never tried one but have always loved my warp feed...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mag-icidal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCrawlerBRC View Post
I used to have one on for my ULE Automag, but I found that it was way too hard on paint. You need to be very careful with how you load the pods because there's so much pressure from the spring pack.

If there's no paintballs in the feed tube, the paint will fly through it when you engage the pod and you will most likely have at least 1 broken ball when they hit the breach.

They're a pain to clean, you gotta keep changing the pods because they only hold like 100 paintballs, some of the pod packs aren't compatible because the pods are larger than normal pods, the feed tubes can come off sometimes and the whole pod will empty on the ground in a split second, etc

I literally threw mine in the garbage because I was so fed up with it and then ended up buying a centerfeed body with a Rotor lol
The springs are set at the factory to a pretty high tension, which is necessary if you're feeding upwards through a long hose. If you're finding that you don't need that much tension, you can (and should) set them at a lower pre-tension.

It's true that they require more care and effort than modern powered hoppers. Still, I liked mine.

Don't **** with Arsenal....that dudes ****ing crazy.
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

The crazy part is they're still around.

I almost want to buy an SSR out of morbid curiousity.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone