mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-16-2018, 02:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

a few mag questions

Hey all,

Finally getting into mags and learning all the in-an-outs. Have a few questions.

Do twistlock barrels work on the classic center feed bodies? Or only the one with righ/left feed?

Do foregrips need a vertical ASA to go onto the rail or do they just screw on? I thinking of getting a carbon fiber one from Luke or AGD.

What smaller pieces do I need besides the field strip screw? I'm assuming one for the grip frame and the ones that come with the foregrip?

-Eddie
ecg- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

they made center feed, left feed and right feed at first but the later ones came with a T slot that could be used left or right and some of those have an indent to use as a center feed. most people just take a drill bit to one of the T slot barrels and make their own indent to use it in a center feed. most mags will take either a fore trip or vasa its user choice. your best bet is to buy a complete used one and then change what you don't like that way you get most if not all the small parts needed.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

Most TL barrels were L+R (2 detent T-slot) until the later centerfeed bodies came out then L+C+R (3 detent T-slot and L-slot) TLs were available. So you have to visually confirm for a centerfeed TL.

If the foregrip has mal e ASA threads then yes you'll need a VASA. If not (like RT classic foregrips) then you don't. Your rail however will dictate what foregrip or VASA you are able to use. AM/MM-style rails have a single hole in front and the bottoms are chamfered to match up to a single-hole foregrip/VASA with "wings" (so it doesn't rotate). An RTP/EM-style rail has a slot in the front and a flat bottom to match up with two-hole "wingless" foregrip/VASA.

Small pieces...yes, field strip screw (with rail bushing!) and front frame buttonhead screw (there's 2 different lengths FYI). If a TL barrel you need the TL detent pin in the rail and for the barrel o-rings and plastic nubbins. Buttonhead screws for the foregrip/VASA, maybe a spare bolt spring and an extra sear pin because they're easy to lose when disassembling as they just sit in the rail. For soft parts - on/off orings, powertube o-rings, reg seats, valve pin o-rings, reg piston o-rings and foamies should cover your wear-and-tear consumables.
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

For the centerfeed classic mag bodies, which are a rare find if you snag one, I would just drop $40 on a Doc's twistlock to autococker barrel adapter. You can buy them off ebay. It's cut for left-right-centerfeed and you can use any autococker barrel. It's just easier and there are WAY more barrel choices. I did it with my old centerfeed Minimag I used to own.
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"

Check out my Instagram art page and give me a like!
https://instagram.com/nealg_illustration
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
For the centerfeed classic mag bodies, which are a rare find if you snag one, I would just drop $40 on a Doc's twistlock to autococker barrel adapter. You can buy them off ebay. It's cut for left-right-centerfeed and you can use any autococker barrel. It's just easier and there are WAY more barrel choices. I did it with my old centerfeed Minimag I used to own.
Do these use the same nubbin detent things as the old TL's?
Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
I saw those on ebay and was considering getting one. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage View Post
they made center feed, left feed and right feed at first but the later ones came with a T slot that could be used left or right and some of those have an indent to use as a center feed. most people just take a drill bit to one of the T slot barrels and make their own indent to use it in a center feed. most mags will take either a fore trip or vasa its user choice. your best bet is to buy a complete used one and then change what you don't like that way you get most if not all the small parts needed.
The Vasa's are cheap thankfully Someone else mentioned a Doc's adapter, its probably easier to go with that.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Docs adapter uses a spyder/intimidator style rubber detent. He sells those too
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecg- View Post
Do these use the same nubbin detent things as the old TL's?
No, they use the newer sort. I believe these iirc;

Doc's Shop | Spyder/Intimidator Ball Detents | Online Store Powered by Storenvy

I think Doc makes his own now to be sure he has a supply.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
No, they use the newer sort. I believe these iirc;

Doc's Shop | Spyder/Intimidator Ball Detents | Online Store Powered by Storenvy

I think Doc makes his own now to be sure he has a supply.
Ah ok. Thanks!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone