mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

Guns you decided NOT to buy for your FIRST gun?

Just curious what guns you considered, but ultimately did NOT buy for your first paintball gun?

*Bonus: What was your "if money was no option" gun you would have bought if your could?

Me: In '95 I considered, at great length, the VM-68 Magnum, BE Stingray, and the F4 Illustrator. I bought the Tippmann Pro-Lite instead, having already used it as a rental with some sucess.

Bonus: I WOULD have got a AGD Minimag, in complete Smart Parts splash kit, but it costs more than my own life was worth at that time!
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"

Check out my Instagram art page and give me a like!
https://instagram.com/nealg_illustration
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Clouds Brewing

First purchase was either going to be a used Bushmaster or used Phantom back in 1988. I chose the bushmaster and my friend bought the phantom. My bushmaster faced years of spring adjustments, snapped power tubes and constant FPS creep from the adjustment in the bolt. After about 3 years I just gave up and bought something else...then something else. My friend still has that phantom and it still shoots fine
Raleighpaintball.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Daddy

My first purchase was a Spyder Compacy 2-1 off of a friend.
My second purchase was an eBay autococker that never worked right.

My first NEW gun purchase: was going to be an Evil Omen. I think it was around '03.
I ended up buying the '03 Shocker (SFT) and it was the biggest ****ing mistake ever. What a piece of ****. I was better off spending the $800 on a glorified Spyder than I was that SP garbage.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

The first marker I bought with my own money was a Model 98 (in '99) it was that or a BE Rainmaker - still have the M98 and it still works and get used at least once a year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
When I started doing shells for my revolvers the apparent thing i noticed was the hole size in the cartridge controlled the velocity of my paint.
TL;DR hole size controls how fast balls get spent
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

It was between a Model 98 or a Spyder of the same price. This was right before the E-framed Spyder came out (illusion?), so I didn't wait. Got the spyder, and that launched me down the road to modifications and upgrades, and ultimately this place. If I would have gotten the Tippmann...who knows how different my life would have been.

If I had the cash, everyone was wanting an Angel in my area, so I would have gotten one of those. Looking back on it, I would have rather had a Viking, but a Duck was always the holy grail.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Make Paintballs Big Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
It was between a Model 98 or a Spyder of the same price. This was right before the E-framed Spyder came out (illusion?), so I didn't wait. Got the spyder, and that launched me down the road to modifications and upgrades, and ultimately this place. If I would have gotten the Tippmann...who knows how different my life would have been.

If I had the cash, everyone was wanting an Angel in my area, so I would have gotten one of those. Looking back on it, I would have rather had a Viking, but a Duck was always the holy grail.
Similar situation for me, and I was in Oregon at the time as well!
I used a PMI Piranha (Spyder clone, not the old brass) my first time ever. Fell in love with paintball after that first game. Saved up some money and went to the local shop with my mother and the dude showed me the Model 98. I hated how it felt and looked and bought a Piranha G3 or something. Vertical feed, flush cocking system. Eventually added a 14" Tru Flight barrel, VL Revy, some random drop forward, blue GxG sticky grips. Not sure if I even ever hit anyone with it. I didn't get to play all that much in my younger years.

Oh and for an any price marker...hmmmm. My good friend at the time was rocking a decked out Minimag, so maybe one of those or a cocker, or even an Impulse which were all very popular at the time. I also thought the Spyder AMG looked amazing. Hadn't discovered pump yet.

MCB +42/-0
PBN +53/-0
eBay +447/-0

Last edited by iamthelazerviking; 05-23-2018 at 10:23 AM.
iamthelazerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

People convinced me to not buy an SL68II and so i started with 98 Custom. still somehow if i had gotten that SL68II i'd probably have gotten to where I am now sooner--1)stock class 2)modified stock class 3)open class 4)mech semi-auto.
binson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

BT-4 Delta Elite. Sold the shroud and bought the sexier regular delta shroud.
Thank you Counter Strike 1.6 for my love of the MP5.

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

My first gun was a bob long millennium spyder. Still have it.

The other choices in that price were tippman model 98 and a spyder tl. I preferred the center feed of the millennium over the powerfeedo on the spyder. And thr m98 was to long.

If I had the money I would have bought a BPS Twister. But they were a few times the amount that I spent on the millennium.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I decided not to buy a Tippy 98...not a custom, a 98. I got a POS Brass Eagle Avenger and it broke my first game. I returned it and picked up the 98 player pack I should have gotten first. I actually (finally) threw the Scott Badass mask that came with it originally away a few months ago.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone