mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting in how it also has a hexagonal shape too
a flat plane is easier to machine than a convex one.
pummel u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pummel u View Post
a flat plane is easier to machine than a convex one.
Most of the older STBB (and even many of the in-line blow backs too) were not machined round, but extruded, with very little additional cosmetic machining. I'd venture to guess these hexagonal bodies were also extruded too.

What I meant by "interesting", is that hexagonal bodies were not very common at all. I wondered if there could have been some sort of connection between the Schrager Brothers and AMC, seeing how they both used hexagonal bodies that were, and still are, very uncommon. I'd never even see a hexagonal body before, that I remembered. Hilariously I'd read Ravi's blowback blowouts before, and seen the Diamond GT I bought, but it was so unremarkable that I'd totally forgot about it. Didn't help that it wasn't as easy to make out the hexagonal shape from Ravi's picture, but I doubt I would have even remembered it with a better picture. A hexagonal body is weird and uncommon, and I like weird and uncommon, which is why I bought that Diamond GT, and I'd like one of these Factor X2 and a Shadow.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that the Factor X2 is actually octagonal. Can't tell if the Shadow is hexagonal, octagonal, or other as the only picture I found of it is here in The Wayback Machine's archive of pbReview.

Last edited by William the Third; 07-20-2018 at 01:17 AM.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Coming for your booty

Kilt Club
Bacci of the East! Bacci of the East!
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
Most of the older STBB (and even many of the in-line blow backs too) were not machined round, but extruded, with very little additional cosmetic machining. I'd venture to guess these hexagonal bodies were also extruded too.

What I meant by "interesting", is that hexagonal bodies were not very common at all. I wondered if there could have been some sort of connection between the Schrager Brothers and AMC, seeing how they both used hexagonal bodies that were, and still are, very uncommon. I'd never even see a hexagonal body before, that I remembered. Hilariously I'd read Ravi's blowback blowouts before, and seen the Diamond GT I bought, but it was so unremarkable that I'd totally forgot about it. Didn't help that it wasn't as easy to make out the hexagonal shape from Ravi's picture, but I doubt I would have even remembered it with a better picture. A hexagonal body is weird and uncommon, and I like weird and uncommon, which is why I bought that Diamond GT, and I'd like one of these Factor X2 and a Shadow.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that the Factor X2 is actually octagonal. Can't tell if the Shadow is hexagonal, octagonal, or other as the only picture I found of it is here in The Wayback Machine's archive of pbReview.
Thanks for the wayback link, the Shadow look sweet!
Hobbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

https://web.archive.org/web/20040805...80/shadow.html

Pictures seem to be no longer archived.
Too bad, says there was an optional "fake gold" and "fake chrome" finish. I suspect the first was just yellow annodize, and the later was clear annodiz.

more dead pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bog6WyWDvs

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
Little Nitro diesel 22 is obnoxious, but that Shadow looks great with the gold parts.

Looks like Avenger Technologies was the name before Schrager Brothers.

Last edited by Hobbes; 07-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I think inlines are just better looking then stacked tube guns. Except for automags. Everyone hates automags.
Awwww, someone jealous their favorite goofy looking, un-remembered, can't hit field velocity on a warm day, inline, "Mega-Who Cares" isn't iconic, and still loved, like the Automag series?

Well, not all guns can be legendary...
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"

Check out my Instagram art page and give me a like!
https://instagram.com/nealg_illustration
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
I was able to get the internals back in. The hammer pin had worn a lip inside that was grabbing the valve.

Also, Spyder frames do fit and function. The stock frame doesn't directly fit Spyders because the sear is so thick. A rocking frame needs to be added for ultimate meme.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Brass and Wood Fan
I assumed that the valve was threaded like on a 98 but its not. Seems like it needs a bigger fitting that screws into the body but also holds in the valve. Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Great post and review!
If this had a single trigger, I would dig the shape of this marker.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone