mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I've found that magfed is a happy middle ground for days where you don't want to shoot a lot of paint but you want to have some extra firepower for those times when things get a little crazy. So, I can still buy a single bag, play all day and still get into the occasional head to head. Although, I'm really not too picky about markers these days. One day I might play stock class, another I might want to play magfed and another I may feel like slinging some paint with a nice Cocker, a Mag or even an electro - it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Automag RT Triple OG

I had my first experiences playing electro two times this summer after having bought a used Etek 3 here. I've been playing mech with either Tippmann's or Automags since I started in '95, and I have to say.. I LOVED it!

It really was a totally new playing experience. I've never used a marker that light weight, with a centerfeed instead of offset or powerfeed, with eyes, with a super light trigger, that was very consistent on top of all that. It really did feel like stepping into the 21st century of paintball. The double stack Etek platform takes some getting used to, but the marker points and shoots like nothing I've yet had. The actual performance gap between electros from 2010, like the Etek 3, and current markers is ridiculously small on the field. I ran it at 10bps capped semi and never felt outgunned. However, I will say there's not the same interest in the marker itself for me, like you would have with your favorite vintage/weird/rare ones, or it's function, history, etc. It doesn't give me warm fuzzies to pick it up, and it has no nostalgia. It's purely cool from a performance standpoint.

It's definitely worth trying out one, and I'd say my cheap little Etek is the best gun buy I've made in terms of performance for the money.
"He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of the Automag?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Tom Kaye, strong on his mountain!"

Check out my Instagram art page and give me a like!
https://instagram.com/nealg_illustration
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've tried my hand at electros a couple of times with Smart Parts and PE. Both were fast and so much fun to shoot. But with each one it only took me a day on the field before I was ready to switch back to pump or mech. I liked the firepower as a novel change of pace, but that enjoyment didn't translate into playing.
wunderbarsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

My go-to is an electro. On these boards it would likely be considered pretty new but in reality it's more than 10 years old (Ego7).

I find it fits better into most of the games that I play and it has better ability to compensate for paint that refuses to fly straight. I enjoy pump (DSG, phantom, cocker) but I get really frustrated when 10 shots at my opponent fly 10 different ways.

Approximately my last 5 eliminations in pump play have all been mercy kills where I decided that if my paint isn't flying straight then theirs isn't either so f*ck it; I'll just run them down. At that point why am I even carrying a marker? It's exhilarating and the look on my team mates faces can be pretty hilarious but it's more like playing high stakes tag!
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

^ I believe that would be more appropriately described as a "NO MERCYYYYYY!!!!!!" kill.

lol
davey2shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

Location: The land of overpriced cigarettes and expensive Beer

I have used a nice mix. I typically use a phantom, CCM sniper (my paint slinger) or a automag with a springfeed body.

I owned an angel for a while It was a grand old time just running, slidding and then BRAAAAAAAAPPAPPAPAPA. With every trigger pull it was like something was changing inside me. My whole play style became hyper agressive in your face. Just gun battling everyone and anyone. I became my own villan. I could literally run the field. Load up my hopper, book it off the bat and just dont stop running till I win. If I so much as saw movement I would sling a line of paint at it. The joy of the game was replaced with the primal alpha male dominance. I will win. I became the harbinger of rec ball deathwhen ever I booted up my marker.

of course one day the ram blew out. so I went back to my CCM and realized I can do just as good in gun battles with an auto trigger. I can play just as hyper agressive with a phantom. So I went back to pump.

Have not looked back either. I had a good time running an electro, it for sure helped me develop that stupidly agressive in your face play style. (it was always there to an extent, but it wasnt as head on. It was more get in close and move around for an angle. opposed to "well, lets run these kind fellows right down") I would say my time using an electro for sure helped me grow as a player. But I prefer the fun of pump, the joy of just running around with 30ish balls on you. If you end up in a gun battle I love that feeling of just pure adrenaline when you know if you make a single mistake or miss a shot its game over. that creeping joy when you poke out for a quick snap and just see the ball burst on the other player. Im broke as hell too so thats factors in.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition

Last edited by Allerstern; 08-21-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Allerstern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I wasn't only looking for experiences similar to mine, but just general thoughts about electros compared to pump and mech. The responses so far have been pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I think I will end up getting a cheap electro just to try it out. I think I could learn something from the different playstyle they warrant, since I haven't had much experience with it. I haven't been playing for that long anyway, so experimenting to find my favorite way to play probably is a good bet.

I do agree that pump is more about the individual experience rather than winning the whole game. When I think about my best moments at the field, it's oneballing my buddies or someone who is better than me, not winning the whole game (with the exception of running flags and that kind of thing).
bassninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassninja View Post
When I think about my best moments at the field, it's oneballing my buddies or someone who is better than me, not winning the whole game (with the exception of running flags and that kind of thing).
I will say that some of my most memorable games were those where everyone was playing stock class.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

Location: The land of overpriced cigarettes and expensive Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I will say that some of my most memorable games were those where everyone was playing stock class.
I agree. It just becomes intense yet so fun. One of the few times when after a game both teams are just chatting it up and discussing the last game. no death glares nothing.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
SC is ridiculous. I have no fear whenever I play full stock class which usually ends up in doing stupid fun sh*t.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone