mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #31 (permalink)

a while back i had the same feelings as the OP.

lazy refs let a group of friends with electros play on the same team over and over, vs my friends and renters with mechs. they wiped us pretty much every time. i left with a bitter taste in my mouth and got an electro and a response trigger.

i think the cold, hard reality that the fun, simplicity loving crowd of MCB may not admit, is that running a modern electro gives you a huge advantage. the consistency, the ergonomics, the weight, the light trigger pull. the downsides are increased maintenance, the use of batteries and the lack of a future for the electronics inside the gun- NONE of which present a disadvantage when you are facing the paint downrage.

right now im going back to school and cash strapped so if i play, i wont be able to shoot much paint, so its back to essentials. all i can say is i hope the trend of restricting electros to a low ROF continues, so at least there is finally some sort of disadvantage when players choose to use these markers.
chodeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
all i can say is i hope the trend of restricting electros to a low ROF continues, so at least there is finally some sort of disadvantage when players choose to use these markers.
What's actually kind of funny is that events like the Iron City Classic restrict electros to 5.5 BPS while many mechanical markers are perfectly capable of shooting at sustained speeds of around 7-12 BPS. So, the guy shooting a CVO or even an Emek can out shoot the guy with a capped CS2.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Just as a comment on people who say they go through too much paint with an electro... I kind of laugh when I see stock class players bring more paint on the field than I can hold in my VL90, and shoot it all during a game. Isn't stock class supposed to mean strategic play/movement/etc?
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
i think the cold, hard reality that the fun, simplicity loving crowd of MCB may not admit, is that running a modern electro gives you a huge advantage.
I fully acknowledge that the newer guns have a tech edge when it comes to raw stats, but I also firmly believe that intentionally limiting your play via amount paint, ROF, pump, etc makes one a better player. I'm certainly better now than I was in my speedball days and I think I have pump/SC to thank for that.

We all get caught up in the nostalgia of times past, but I agree that it's hard to argue that the accolades of the newer guns are better than the older ones. That being said a huge amount of paintball is about feel, and the newer guns don't always have the same "Oomph" when compared to older guns.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Almost pure Open Class Pump player here (for years and years) but this summer I bought my first electronic paintgun an AXE to give it a try. I find I still play "pump style" even when using a Mech (Mag) or Elec (Axe). I still play the game the same way; I take my time, head up and eyes scanning looking for the good clean shot. The only real difference for me so far is I can effectively use suppression fire to keep someone pinned but I still don't use much paint a couple quick follow up shots (no "ropes" of paint).

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #36 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
It sort of feels like this should be more a topic on game type than gun type.
I love my electros/mechs for everything.
I wouldn’t want to shoot pump in speedball, based on my previous story of how badly I was outclassed pumping.
I imagine I’d be really into pump in a pump only game.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
You have to play pump/stock class/limited paint until your style changes. If you feel outgunned in any situation, you're not there yet and you need to work through what you should be doing differently. This goes for the smallest rec game to the biggest scenario. I've seen people own the Castle with pistols. I've personally held off whole insertions of more then a dozen people from getting to there insertion flag station with my Sniper. I had an insertion of at least 10 Boneheads (they're a team, that's not an insult :P) heading right towards me when I was holding my springfed prolite. I thought **** if I had a semi I could shoot this whole crew…" that thought was fleeting. Slipped into a bunker, let them pass, and shot them all in the back before they realized I was there with them.

For as many disadvantages to limited paint, there are advantageous that cancel them out. And for as many advantages there are to rate of fire, there are disadvantes to that style of play as well.

If you truly reach the pinaccle of this thought process, you should be able to play limited paint with an electro and really bring everything together. I am far from that point. i still need a pump or a spring feed to slow me down or I start laying paint and getting lazy. I need to force myself to think differently. Although I do use a bit less then I did in the old days when I pick up the open class semi. Its sinking in a little bit

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
i think the cold, hard reality that the fun, simplicity loving crowd of MCB may not admit, is that running a modern electro gives you a huge advantage.
Certainly they are strictly superior from a performance standpoint. But I would strongly challenge implicit argument there: that strictly superior performance from your equipment makes a sport more fun.

I started playing paintball again a few years ago, pretty much using electros exclusively (everyone else was). I've worked my way back down to mech and pump play, dabbling a bit in stock class. I'm finding myself really excited to go out to the semi monthly pump days. My pumps are just as consistent and accurate as my electros, and my pumper opponents are strong players, so it demands just as much skillful play as when I'm using my electros. But the whole feel of the game is different, less locked down and with more movement. Playing with high BPS markers, even with modern mechs, the gameplay feels slower. People move the same speed regardless of how fast you're slinging paint.

Stock class is a little to restrictive for my tastes, and mech class is not so dissimilar to 10bps electro play. I think open class pump is a real happy medium for for fun paintball, and it's what I play the most.
Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
You have to play pump/stock class/limited paint until your style changes. If you feel outgunned in any situation, you're not there yet and you need to work through what you should be doing differently. This goes for the smallest rec game to the biggest scenario. I've seen people own the Castle with pistols. I've personally held off whole insertions of more then a dozen people from getting to there insertion flag station with my Sniper. I had an insertion of at least 10 Boneheads (they're a team, that's not an insult :P) heading right towards me when I was holding my springfed prolite. I thought **** if I had a semi I could shoot this whole crew…" that thought was fleeting. Slipped into a bunker, let them pass, and shot them all in the back before they realized I was there with them.

For as many disadvantages to limited paint, there are advantageous that cancel them out. And for as many advantages there are to rate of fire, there are disadvantes to that style of play as well.

If you truly reach the pinaccle of this thought process, you should be able to play limited paint with an electro and really bring everything together. I am far from that point. i still need a pump or a spring feed to slow me down or I start laying paint and getting lazy. I need to force myself to think differently. Although I do use a bit less then I did in the old days when I pick up the open class semi. Its sinking in a little bit
That’s where my play style would need drastic changes. I’d have to lay there and wait to shoot in the back. I’ve been considering giving that a go anyhow. Actually playing the scenario a bit. Maybe I’ll even buy some camo. Perhaps this is what I need to try.

Someone let me get a pump.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
I was wearing a Hawaiian and creeping around buildings like I was in an episode of scooby doo. But whatever works, works

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone