mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
I was wearing a Hawaiian and creeping around buildings like I was in an episode of scooby doo. But whatever works, works
Yep, camo really only matters if you're playing deep woods. Grid style fields it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Thatís where my play style would need drastic changes. Iíd have to lay there and wait to shoot in the back. Iíve been considering giving that a go anyhow. Actually playing the scenario a bit. Maybe Iíll even buy some camo. Perhaps this is what I need to try.

Someone let me get a pump.
If you didn't work every Sunday this could have happened many times over
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
Dude, I’m considering taking off the weekend for Paint Wars.
It just sucks because it’ll cost me two vacation days and leave me with three days for the rest of the year.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Blegh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
the downsides are increased maintenance
In many cases, this isn't true. If you're looking at Bob Longs and DYEs, it can be true, but with Eclipse guns it couldn't be further from the truth. In most cases, old guns take way more maintenance.

My first experience playing with an electro was the second time I ever played, first time with my own gun. I didn't know that I needed to actually charge my battery, so my Piranha would only shoot every third shot, getting worse as the day went on.

I played with that gun for about a year, then got interested in cockers.

I tend not to play as well with an electro, but that's mostly just level of comfort and is highly dependent on the gun. Older electros like Tribals, first gen Matrices, even a DM7, or eblades feel so similar to what I normally shoot that I can play better with them. I'm not as familiar with my Ego10, and I haven't had a good game with it yet, but that's more circumstantial.

I'm rambling now.

More on topic, I like each type of gun for everything it offers. I like playing stock class (or modified stock class, haven't actually played with 12g's yet), against new players or electros. I like playing open class, though not nearly as much as stock class. I like playing mech, especially with cockers. And I like playing with electros, modern or not. Generally speaking, I prefer playing mech, but like I said each has its merits and each are fun in their own way.

I resent the idea that electros have killed paintball, or that pump is more fun. Neither is true. I understand that this mentality is built into the culture of this forum, but it's still annoying to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
giant robot

It's not so much that electros have killed paintball as that fields haven't adequately adapted to their use. Electro players should be kept well away from rentals, but that rarely happens. It's short termism - profit now (electro players buy more paint, so just let them play with whoever!) came literally at the expense of the future of the sport.

Agreed on electros and maintenance. Egos and modern ones are tooless, the batteries last many cases, and PE guns in particular require practically zero maintenance. I stripped mine down once a year, and didn't need to at that.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
I resent the idea that electros have killed paintball, or that pump is more fun. Neither is true. I understand that this mentality is built into the culture of this forum, but it's still annoying to me.
Killed? No.

They did significantly alter the path, which I think is where that attitude from OG ballers comes from.

I do think pump is more fun, but I think that has to do with my local environment and the community of players in my area.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #46 (permalink)
giant robot

No one thing killed paintball, but the GFC, newbie unfriendliness due to paint volumes as mentioned, the NXL and previously the PSP being deeply risk averse and short-termist haven't helped. Nixxing M500 was the proof they aren't interested in the long game.

Gaming has arguably had the single biggest impact on player numbers, since exactly the same demographic can now get basically the same fix for competition, sport and shooting from games for a fraction of the cost and no need to find people to play with. Mobile gaming is a big part of that, but pro streamers and esports have massively boomed in the last couple of years. Some folks are earning $4m+ USD a month to play video games for an audience. Says it all.

CapturePB.JPG

Last edited by vijil; 08-22-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Well at least there wasn't a decline in 2016. Maybe all the old timers are finally coming back. You can't get the same adrenaline fix in gaming that you get from being stuck at the 50 with everybody pounding your bunker.

To get back to the main topic, IMO we as a group of players need to understand that there are many totally different user groups in paintball and player interests are not just in one area. I think as a group here on MCB we tend to gravitate towards pump play and hold it up as the "best" but that's not strictly true.

While pump play is challenging it can also be not that fun in some situations. You have a day where the paint sucks, your shots don't fly straight, you are off your game, or the other guys are playing well and pump is just punishing on some days. Other days and situations it can be a lot of fun.

Electro guns definitely are the pinnacle of technology and as such are the best performing guns out there and make the game "easy". Not really "easy" but it makes playing much more simple and more enjoyable in some situations because you're not fighting a self-imposed gear limitation. On the flip side it also requires less skill in easier games as such so you can definitely lean on the equipment to some extent.

A long winded explanation but basically the human factor to gear factor ratio is 50/50. If you are playing on a field where the players are not at peak skill and they are playing with maybe slower guns or pumps then you just have to hit maybe 70% efficiency lets say. So you could play stock class (example:20%) and be at your best playing (50%) and be on par with the players on the field with you (70% skill/equipment). If you are going up against guys that are tuned up and rocking electro guns and not holding back you are gonna get your *** handed to you as those guys are rocking 100% and you are at 70%. Put those same guns in the hands of guys that are not very skilled (lets say 50% gun, 20% player skill) and you are going to be fine. Equipment choice needs to be appropriate to the group you are playing with/against if you want to be competitive.

On the other hand, there is the "2nd kind of cool" factor and some of us just want to use whatever we enjoy shooting. Nothing wrong with that. This type of user group may get their asses handed to them every weekend but you just keep coming back for the love of shooting your favorite gun against other people. This seems to be the majority of people on MCB and I think why pump/stock/mech play is more prevalent on these forums. We by and large are collectors that play with rare and old guns here so being competitive isn't always the highest priority.
Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
electro probably seems easy to you pump guys, but if you’re playing electro vs electro... it’s an even playing field. Just like if your playing pump only, you probably don’t think you’re being outgunned.

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

Location: The land of overpriced cigarettes and expensive Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
electro probably seems easy to you pump guys, but if youíre playing electro vs electro... itís an even playing field. Just like if your playing pump only, you probably donít think youíre being outgunned.
I play speedball (against electros) with an CCM works (No AT). and tend to hold my own.

It all just breaks down to player skill. Just like how I have played against some renters who just give me a damn run for my money. and played agains some gun owners who were easy pickings. Sure the gear does factor in, but Im pretty sure its mostly the person using it.

Some people can produce better work with hand tools in a garage than a full machine shop can.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
giant robot

In my experience the only time ROF really matters is on the breakout, and then to help with big (rare) long range run-n-gun moves. When you're behind bunkers ploinking at each other it's pretty even.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone