mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #41 (permalink)
No gooder, rascal

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
Do you find that using a C-bore barrel in addition to the ASP mod makes a big difference? I was hoping to avoid using inserts with my new Phantom.
I use inserts on my Revolution. Under bore the sizer, small step up to the freak, stepping up to the .686ish bore of the rest of the barrel.

On the phantom I rock the .681 Lapco and donít look back. Shoots lasers all day
Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #42 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
I'm used to cockers so efficiency isn't really paramount to me. I dislike insert systems and I know the ASP prevents rollouts too so I was hoping to get away with just that. I guess I could always try the ASP and add a new barrel if need be.

On my open class breech, I use the ASP detents and over bore. It comes with different sized o-rings for different paint size. I threw the big set in there and left it. In my experience underboring with inserts, Iíve had much more lateral spin than I care for with field paint. Of course thatís anecdotal, but the detents alone are good enough in my opinion.
wunderbarsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchicArctic View Post
I use inserts on my Revolution. Under bore the sizer, small step up to the freak, stepping up to the .686ish bore of the rest of the barrel.

On the phantom I rock the .681 Lapco and donít look back. Shoots lasers all day
I love Lapco, unfortunately I want to use the pretty anno stock barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbarsafari View Post
On my open class breech, I use the ASP detents and over bore. It comes with different sized o-rings for different paint size. I threw the big set in there and left it. In my experience underboring with inserts, Iíve had much more lateral spin than I care for with field paint. Of course thatís anecdotal, but the detents alone are good enough in my opinion.
This is what I was hoping for, big ol' detents and call it a day. I underbore like crazy on bore drop guns and it works well, but breach drop is a whole new animal for me.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #44 (permalink)
No gooder, rascal

Brass and Wood Fan
Use it. I’m sure it’ll be just fine. Conversely, I had mine ano’d for just that reason
Old 09-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #45 (permalink)
The Moses of Pump

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchicArctic View Post
Use it. Iím sure itíll be just fine. Conversely, I had mine anoíd for just that reason
Not in the budget at the mo' otherwise I would
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

I run run rings and ASP. Probably overkill, but I'd also like to get a c-bore barrel.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

I tried the rings and had terrible experience, almost gave up pump entirely because of it. Friend recommended ditching the rings and running with a tape mod, night and day difference for me. Not as accurate a shot as I might get out of a freak system but then that just means I need to get closer, right? A buddy runs his phantom with a python kit if I remember right and swears by it. Allows the same matching anno barrel and no permanent alterations either. I should probably get one some day.

Now I run mine normally in a vertical air setup but I throw on a 4oz tank for a bit more simplicity in my play. I'm one of the very few players in my area that plays pump on the regular so going full SC is a little suicidal some days, I'm not nearly that good! I do plan on getting one of those maxtac tanks once I remember to set the money aside and not spend it.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Loves Phantoms

Quote:
Do you find that using a C-bore barrel in addition to the ASP mod makes a big difference? I was hoping to avoid using inserts with my new Phantom.
From my experience, the C-bore barrel isn't as good as the regular barrel because today's paint isn't as consistent as it was 10 years ago.

I bought my Phantom new with 11 and 14 inch barrels that were C-bored from Mike at CCI. They didn't perform well with the best paint I can get locally unless I used the larger inserts, so I had Mike anodize some stock barrels for me. They are way better from my experience, at least.

I went on to spend over $500 on every Phantom barrel I could find and the best ones shot exactly like the stock (non C-bored) barrel from CCI because they were overbored. I have so many barrels, several of them have not been tried out yet.

Still unsatisfied, I went on to buy ASP's Roundhead body (because they became available again) so I could test out Autococker threaded barrels too. I have yet to find any that are significantly better than the regular (non C-bored) barrel from CCI. The Tightstick from pumppb.com is the best Autococker one I've shot so far.

It really is paint dependent, though. I only ever switch out the stock (non C-bored) barrel out to something else (usually the Tightstick) when it's not shooting lasers with the paint I have and the paint I shoot is dependent on what my semi shooting friends buy because I bum 200 rounds off of them when I play.

The ASP detent and the stock (non C-bored) barrel is my go to. If you want to waste your time with other barrels, I have a duffle bag of Phantom barrels to sell you.

To the original post: Phantoms are great. I went Phantom to get more of a challenge out of the game. I hated it the first time I tried it too, but after playing A LOT of paintball, I felt the need for a new challenge. Sounds like you do too.
frd333do33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

Oh something I forgot to mention earlier. It sounds like the OP has taken quite some time between the last try at a phantom and now. In that case go for it. Tastes and ability change. I know if I switched to pump any earlier than I did I don't think I would have liked it because I wasn't ready for the challenge. As others have said phantoms seem to hold value well and move quick enough if you decide to sell if it doesn't work out.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #50 (permalink)
Old but still dangerous!

I think two other things of note, if you want to try a phantom, most owners will let you give thiers a go, since there is not much you can screw up on it, I will bet 4 time out of 5 a phantom owner will say here use my spare because he owns at least 2 of them, and the community support of phantoms is crazy good, so many ppl in here will help you troubleshoot and issue, Mike will help you, see a guy on your local field with one chances are he will help you, or have spare parts etc. I think most owners go above and beyond from what I see because they are that loyal to the phantom themselves the shamelessly promote the hell out of them.

https://www.edmontonpaintball.com/for...-fan-club.html
SnowDawgy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone