mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Magnified sights.

Now that relatively inexpensive, wide-angle 2x and 3x magnified dot sights are becoming available, I'm starting to see these pop up in pictures of airsoft and magfed paintball guns. I've happily used unmagnified dot sights and OEGs like the Armson for years. I have my doubts about the utility of magnification for paintball, but the novelty has a lot of appeal for me. Does anyone have any experience using these, either with or without first strike rounds?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Has too much crap

I had an M17 set up for first strike a few years back with a crossbow scope. I never actually played with it, but did a lot of shooting with it, it was lots of fun. I shot a lot of roundball through it, using it with the 4x32 scope. I'd say it was useable, but very impractical. Roundball is for pretty close range, eyeballing works fine most of the time. That being said, the range is close enough that by the time you sight the bad guy with your scope, he's probably already seen and shot you just by eyeballing with his phantom.
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I run a SSR 99% of the time ... FSR only.
I started with a simple red dot and it was great, then wanted magnification, but none of the rifle scope I had worked well ... most of my issues were the time it took to get at the correct place to see in the scope with the masc on ...
I then tried flip to side with my red dot that I know work well: I love it ...
It allows me to flip the magnification (X3) when I do a long shot an flip it out of the way for faster game play.
It took me a while to get the combination I like, but I did found something that works for me.

Get Your Splatmaster Figure 8 Replacement

For sale:
Bolt action Phantom

My Feedback
XEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I changed my Supremacy Scope to my Hurricane DMR so that I could put a big Banner Scope on my SR1. I find at big games that finding an elevated position and clearly observing the other team does wonders for my team mates. Sometimes I even shoot and the magnification helps me track those far shots

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've often asked my buddy who runs a magnified optic to identify players in the distance or scout building from a distance in big games. Can't attest to if it helps him play though. Always mean to try using a cheap spotting scope I have laying around with my mask on to see if it would work.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I've played around with basic red dots on magfed markers but I tend to remove them since I find it easier to simply use iron sights. Optics tend to restrict my field of view even at 1x power. If I had to deal with magnification on top of that, snap shooting would be maddening.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've moved to %99 using my reflex sight. It's an open red-dot. It might have x1 power with how the lens is designed but all it does is put a glowing dot in your sightline.

Wherever the dot is where you are going to shoot.

I have a xbow scope and it works quite well. Target shooting I've nailed masks at 80 yards consistently once I'm dialed in.

Actually playing in a game... rare to be past 60 yards in a firing lane, so the scope made me miss more than anything having to compensate under 60 yards. I'll probably try zeroing out to 50 yards and see if the scope works better.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

The problem is people think a cheap Walmart Scope is going to work for paintball and they are dead wrong. You need a good 3 or 4” of eye relief and a large bell to collect light because you are most likely going to be trying focus on distant targets through a sweaty and maybe even paint smeared lens and less than stellar quality just won’t do the job.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Lead View Post
The problem is people think a cheap Walmart Scope is going to work for paintball and they are dead wrong. You need a good 3 or 4” of eye relief
This is the most important ...
I had to try 4 different flip to side before I found one that work. Expensive scope for real steel doesn't mean it's going to work for paintball either ... You have to get it and try it in a game to see if it works for you.

Get Your Splatmaster Figure 8 Replacement

For sale:
Bolt action Phantom

My Feedback
XEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Rover said it before I got to
The nice thing about non magnified is unlimited eye relief, once you start doing magnification how far back you are sitting from the optics will need to be factored.

For round ball, 100% no magnification all the way. I found it pointless to use magnification at such close range and with the drop off so close. I just run them as reflex sights with both eyes open.
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone