mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerstern View Post
Not saying "pew" under your breath every time you shoot.
Wait, so if you DON'T say it you are milsim??

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerstern View Post
Not saying "pew" under your breath every time you shoot.
We got a winner here. Not but in all seriousness, I really appreciate all the answers you guys have given. I never considered it to be a mindset but I guess you would have to have a certain mindset to go after one aesthetic over the other. I find alot of similarities between cars and paintball. Must of us either go for the old school muscle car (cockers and mags) or the sports cars (mid range electros) and those with cash get the super cars (high end guns) and then some like the Volkswagen thing (nova's and the likes) but some people just want a hummer (obviously milsim). They're big and mean looking, some models are good at what they do and others aren't except looking "cool".

Now that I think about it I think all it is, is a mindset and the gear is just catered to those with that mindset. I mean there was a guy when I went Saturday to play. He was renting a gun, but he was still decked out in full military camo's. He also was playing on all the fields including airball. Sure his gun wasnt milsim (gog enemy) and the games weren't milsim (pretty much just clusterf..ks) but he was in that mindset doing tactical moves and communications even though nobody was paying attention to him. But If you are a milsim guy then of course your going to want a somewhat realistic marker over a space dildo because that then allows you to be further immersed into that mindset. Then of course your going to want to play more tactical themed games because again, immersion into mindset.

Also I see magfed being used almost interchangeably with milsim and I dont think that is the case. I mean yes a magfed gun will up that immersion factor more than it would a hopper, but I mean really my dream gun is the magfed modded automag with an xvalve and box rotor and shp tank. I mean hoppers suck, they're bulky and totally throw off the balance of your marker and I always get shot there. But a box rotor automag would be tits and I dont think of my self as milsim, hello I wear shorts and a t-shirt to go play, usually with targets drawn on my nipples.
Random Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

Location: The land of overpriced cigarettes and expensive Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Wait, so if you DON'T say it you are milsim??
I mean, it doesn’t have to be “pew”. “Zap” and “bang” also work fine.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Name View Post
We got a winner here. Not but in all seriousness, I really appreciate all the answers you guys have given. I never considered it to be a mindset but I guess you would have to have a certain mindset to go after one aesthetic over the other. I find alot of similarities between cars and paintball. Must of us either go for the old school muscle car (cockers and mags) or the sports cars (mid range electros) and those with cash get the super cars (high end guns) and then some like the Volkswagen thing (nova's and the likes) but some people just want a hummer (obviously milsim). They're big and mean looking, some models are good at what they do and others aren't except looking "cool".

Now that I think about it I think all it is, is a mindset and the gear is just catered to those with that mindset. I mean there was a guy when I went Saturday to play. He was renting a gun, but he was still decked out in full military camo's. He also was playing on all the fields including airball. Sure his gun wasnt milsim (gog enemy) and the games weren't milsim (pretty much just clusterf..ks) but he was in that mindset doing tactical moves and communications even though nobody was paying attention to him. But If you are a milsim guy then of course your going to want a somewhat realistic marker over a space dildo because that then allows you to be further immersed into that mindset. Then of course your going to want to play more tactical themed games because again, immersion into mindset.

Also I see magfed being used almost interchangeably with milsim and I dont think that is the case. I mean yes a magfed gun will up that immersion factor more than it would a hopper, but I mean really my dream gun is the magfed modded automag with an xvalve and box rotor and shp tank. I mean hoppers suck, they're bulky and totally throw off the balance of your marker and I always get shot there. But a box rotor automag would be tits and I dont think of my self as milsim, hello I wear shorts and a t-shirt to go play, usually with targets drawn on my nipples.
Two things

1) instead of a Hummer, since a Hummer has a certain utility to it, think of a show car. While yes it will drive and turn and stop, it's intended purpose is to look a certain way while still being a car. A Hummer looks a certain way because it has a designed purpose (essentially being a utility tool) while a show cars designed purpose is to look the way it does

2) at last year's supergame I actually came across a player who was mag feed but NOT milsim. He specifically ran a spyder hammer 7 just so he could shoot first strike from long range.

Mag feed and milsim do not have to go together but it's a lot like trucks and off-road driving. Sure you can use a car, but there is a tool made already that is more suited for off road driving from the start

Old 11-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I agree that it all comes down to mindset. For example, when I play with limited paint, it's not uncommon for me to play magfed. I see it as just another flavor of paintball with its own pros and cons. I'll be the guy shooting an M17 and wearing a Dye tactical harness. But I'll also be wearing a team jersey, paintball pants and a Planet Eclipse head wrap (not very tacticool). I'm not getting wrapped up in the whole GI Joe cosplay thing. To me, it's just a way to enjoy the game and not shoot a lot. I didn't serve in the military. I don't know military tactics, hand signals and so on. I'm not about to pretend that I do either.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
Two things

1) instead of a Hummer, since a Hummer has a certain utility to it, think of a show car. While yes it will drive and turn and stop, it's intended purpose is to look a certain way while still being a car. A Hummer looks a certain way because it has a designed purpose (essentially being a utility tool) while a show cars designed purpose is to look the way it does

2) at last year's supergame I actually came across a player who was mag feed but NOT milsim. He specifically ran a spyder hammer 7 just so he could shoot first strike from long range.

Mag feed and milsim do not have to go together but it's a lot like trucks and off-road driving. Sure you can use a car, but there is a tool made already that is more suited for off road driving from the start
Ah I meant like a hummer h2 or h3 hummer, totally useless but look "cool" where I a real hummvee would be like a dye dam.
Random Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Airsoft style Cosplay with Paintballs.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Name View Post
Ah I meant like a hummer h2 or h3 hummer, totally useless but look "cool" where I a real hummvee would be like a dye dam.
O lol ok. That makes a lot more sense then

Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
Airsoft style Cosplay with Paintballs.

Yeah, that’s my thoughts as well. It’s not a “mindset” or “limited paint” in my mind.

It’s wearing the right BDU, with a plate carrier, bump helmet, ALL the rails on your gun, and a shemaug (sp). Tons of “extra” (I know, what’s extra to one isn’t to another). It’s usually the people I worry about falling out a big games for all the hot/heavy gear. Oh, and they all have their own call signs and nicknames.

It takes all kinds and I enjoy playing with them just like a I do a tournament regular or new renter.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOESPUD27 View Post
Yeah, that’s my thoughts as well. It’s not a “mindset” or “limited paint” in my mind.

It’s wearing the right BDU, with a plate carrier, bump helmet, ALL the rails on your gun, and a shemaug (sp). Tons of “extra” (I know, what’s extra to one isn’t to another).
By your definition then, where is the line? If I run a plate carrier with all the bdu and helmet correct insignia but have a dye dam, which is not modeled after a military firearm am I milsim?

How accurate does my marker need to be? If I run a t68 with a remote is that milsim? Or can there be no compromise?

How military is it to wear a paintball mask?

They make steel replica markers that even eject brass, am I only milsim if I own that? After all that is more "realistic" than those wanta-bes with their cheap t68s! How dare they call themselves milsim players!

This is the problem with tying the definition to specific gear, nobody, especially in the milsim crowd will agree on what gear makes you milsim and what doesn't. It's a lot like cod video game culture, "anyone better than me has no life and anyone worse is clearly a N00B." The only thing you can really do is step back and say, you all have roughly the same goal in mind, therefore you are all milsimmers / cod gamers / street racers / "artists" / PC builders / etc

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone