mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
I don't think the event matters, so much as the mindset. Anyone could go to any event and still be milsiming it up in their own head.
I think that's only partially true.

A military simulation requires multiple, perhaps all, participants, to participate in the simulation. Even if a handful of people are running around in tac gear doing bounding overwatch and center peels and calling each other Maverick and Iceman, but everyone else is wearing paintball jerseys and laning, it's not milsim paintball.

Maybe they're milsim players, but it's not a milsim game.

And the original question was about milsim paintball, which I more interpret to be organized milsim activities.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #42 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
wearing paintball jerseys and laning, it's not milsim paintball.

Maybe they're milsim players, but it's not a milsim game.

And the original question was about milsim paintball, which I more interpret to be organized milsim activities.
So where is the line? If 51% of the field is in camo is it a milsim event? What about 49%? Or does it need to be 90%?

I'm curious on what you guys think of these definitions:

Milsim player) anyone who, when choosing gear is largely concerned with gaining military aesthetics and is willing to sacrifice things like weight or performance to do so

Milsim event) an event which can be seen as two military forces(countries typically) facing off, can be of a past event or fictional event. Multiple objectives and teams are typically broken down into units or squads. What the players attending are carrying or wearing does not matter, what matters is the organizers intent for the game being a military roleplay in essence. A game of red team vs blue team is a scenario, Canada vs Mexico fighting over the territory formally known as the United States is milsim.

Basically milsim events have some facts in the real world to relate to, countries fighting typically, scenario, as much as I hate to admit this, I have played in a twilight "team Jacob vs team Edward" game. Very much scenario, no relatable real world elements since it's a fictional story and characters

Discuss!

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Trbo323; 11-20-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't know. As I said before I actually don't think camo / gear is as important as play style and game format though it is a component.

I think I agree with your assessment / summary.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #44 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
By your definition then, where is the line? If I run a plate carrier with all the bdu and helmet correct insignia but have a dye dam, which is not modeled after a military firearm am I milsim?

How accurate does my marker need to be? If I run a t68 with a remote is that milsim? Or can there be no compromise?

How military is it to wear a paintball mask?

They make steel replica markers that even eject brass, am I only milsim if I own that? After all that is more "realistic" than those wanta-bes with their cheap t68s! How dare they call themselves milsim players!

This is the problem with tying the definition to specific gear, nobody, especially in the milsim crowd will agree on what gear makes you milsim and what doesn't. It's a lot like cod video game culture, "anyone better than me has no life and anyone worse is clearly a N00B." The only thing you can really do is step back and say, you all have roughly the same goal in mind, therefore you are all milsimmers / cod gamers / street racers / "artists" / PC builders / etc
I would consider you Milsim, yes. I get the feeling you feel as if Iím using the term Milsim as derogatory. I am not. I donít care how you play paintball, just do it safely.
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

Can we call the old "civil war" game milsim? The one where two sides line up across from each other and shoot one round and advance a step until one side is completely gone?

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
MCB Member

My view of magfed is anything that is reloaded by a detachable spring fed feed mechanism. I have heard some people argue on the field that magfed is a near 1:1 ratio and layout as a real firearm. My view of magfed will not mesh with all views of magfed, but to me it is still magfed. Seriously, play magfed with 10rnd tubes and a fixed spring feed system for all I care.

Personal views on milsim is anything that resembles the real deal, either it be the marker, attachments, or wearable equipment. You could be the guy with the "speedball" jersey shooting the "milsim" marker. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, the end result is who the hell cares? I'm still going to chase you down and throw some paint at ya (unless you are a new player, you may get a pass then).

If you are running an event and you require the players to "look a part" than that is what you want your event to be. Just don't get all pissy if someone shows up just a little off the mark because their vision is different, didn't want to buy the stuff or just decided to show up not knowing there was a special event (guilty).

I'm not going to go and correct someone using the term milsim to someone using magfed gear, because to me they fall under that large umbrella. Now if you call a shiny space dildo milsim, I will question your logic. If someone goes and splash anodizes their T15 in bright green and blue, I will think they are awesome.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

Milsim is an odd religion practiced in some parts of the country but not others. The followers are usually very devote.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #48 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOESPUD27 View Post
I would consider you Milsim, yes. I get the feeling you feel as if Iím using the term Milsim as derogatory. I am not. I donít care how you play paintball, just do it safely.
No, I don't think you are using it derogatorily. I'm just curious where you put the line. You mentioned having rails on the marker but what if I say strap a rail to my barrel just to mount a red dot. Does my preference in sights make me a milsim player even if I'm not going for a military look?

Civil war, now there is a good thought experiment. I suppose it depends on how it is set up. Every "civil war" game I have ever played has been a maximum of 15 people and nobody was labeled as the North or south. It was played as a game type over a milsim event and lasted all of 5 minutes

I don't see why you couldn't scale it up though. Get some commanders and a few objectives. Figure out respawns. It would be complicated to ensure people are only firing 1 ball at a time but could be fun

Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
they group up with other players who are more concerned with how they look then actually playing the game. Milsim Paintball to me is label placed on an unjustified elitist gang of cosplay blowhards.
While I don't believe this is the majority of milsim, I have seen it first hand.

Played Oklahoma d day 2015, played German side and ended up camping next to our unit XO, about halfway through the week an allied player comes over to our camp and asks if he can be switched into The German team. Turns out he was ACTIVE DUTY military and was there on vacation. Essentially told our xo that he was not having any fun because the guys he got placed with took everything way too seriously. Xo got him switched and at the end of the week he came and thanked up saying he had a blast

Old 11-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
No, I don't think you are using it derogatorily. I'm just curious where you put the line. You mentioned having rails on the marker but what if I say strap a rail to my barrel just to mount a red dot. Does my preference in sights make me a milsim player even if I'm not going for a military look?
Why do I have to draw a line? Why devide the already niche game of paintball further?

JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone