mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Daddy

Fan of EMR
Any argument that uses the term “snowflakes” instantly loses all credibility.

To OP, bummer that everyone reality checked the idea. I’d probably still dice roll with friends and family and casual play. I mean, anyone could trip and fall and sue... at any point. Ya never going to have guests?

My MCB Feedback:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html

Magic Card Sale/Trade:
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ollection.html

WTB Thread (Markers, parts, other) updated 12/26/18
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post3545757

Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
pumper, machinist

hell yeah dood, if you got a group you play with that are self safety conscious, rock on!

me and my group of friends play about twice a month on my buddy's dad's land, i own a chrony, and we are all together with barrel bags on before anyone takes off a mask.

i'm definitely going to try out this format next time we get together!!!
440SUPERCOMMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hey Trbo, I was thinking in terms of rec ball; so small fields and 10-15 min games. In terms of cheating I was thinking more in terms of people going out of bounds or wiping. If someone short-walks the respawn it's a little bit less of a deal at casual rec days. Still not preferred but it won't ruin other peoples days like wiping or just ignoring hits.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Legit

Easiest way to limit wiping is to constrain the field size. People are much less likely to wipe if there are other people around possibly watching them.

Marking the boundaries is really how much effort you want to put into it. You really can't be overly clear. But if you only Mark a few trees here and there it is easy to loose track of the boundary when you are in a firefight and accidentally cross it.

I ran a paintball program for a camp a long time ago. We just got some "flagging tape" it is not a long term solution but at around $2 for 300feet even if you have to re run it every once in a while it's a cheap and visually clear solution

Just go tree to tree to tree, wrap it around each tree and it makes a super easy to see boundary

Depending in the size of your field, I used around 2000 feet for my initial run.

Make sure to create a long corridor (marked with tape) between the play field and your staying area

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm kinda interested in the liability thing a bit more.

I mean right now, if someone comes onto my property and breaks their leg and sues... how is that any different from playing backyard soccer and the same thing happening.

I'm just curious since this game of "friends" to me would be all voluntary and knowledgeable of the risks, and no different from walking down the drive-way or playing frisbee. The medical costs might be a bit different...

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Legit

Idk if it's an option for you, but you may want to try for county land instead. Typically if you find somewhere out of the way (under high voltage power lines is a good one) and you ask permission with the county sheriff to play paintball on occasion on that land they are ok with it. You'll need to be fairly specific about the location, gps coordinates may help

Try to get this as a email if possible so you have record. But this way it would remove liability from you since it's not your land

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
I mean right now, if someone comes onto my property and breaks their leg and sues... how is that any different from playing backyard soccer and the same thing happening.
I like your point.

A problem is the specific legal issues are highly regional.

If you want to save on lawyer fees you might have a local legal society that does pro bono. You could also strike up a conversation and ask the owner of a local paintball field what they know or whom they consult. Of course, you'd have to take the owners advice with a grain of salt, it's not legal advice.

Having local law in the loop is probably a good thing too (depending on the people). They might even be able to give advice. If they're going to get called out to the house or something after the fact, they're kind of stuck in the position of enforcing possibly even some stupid bylaw (noise, air guns, etc). Getting them onside ahead of time is a huge win in this respect.

The thing with any rule is enforcement. If rules can't be enforced, they're not much of a rule... just don't be stupid.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
I'm kinda interested in the liability thing a bit more.

I'm just curious since this game of "friends" to me would be all voluntary and knowledgeable of the risks, and no different from walking down the drive-way or playing frisbee. The medical costs might be a bit different...
Perception and expectations.
Think of it this way... If your buddy stops by to chat, and his kid gets out and plays with his soccer ball in the yard then turns his ankle, you've probably got nothing to worry about. But if you invite enough people for 2 soocer teams, supply all the equipment, and prepare a field to play on and somebody breaks their ankle, then I would suspect you might have a little more to worry about.
I'm no lawyer, just my 2 cents.

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with All the other pigs
Singing One more time around
Might do it
One more time around
Might make it

Soundgarden
RIP Mr. Cornell. thank you.

My Feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Perception and expectations.
Think of it this way... If your buddy stops by to chat, and his kid gets out and plays with his soccer ball in the yard then turns his ankle, you've probably got nothing to worry about. But if you invite enough people for 2 soocer teams, supply all the equipment, and prepare a field to play on and somebody breaks their ankle, then I would suspect you might have a little more to worry about.
I'm no lawyer, just my 2 cents.
Maybe... but home liability works that an injury is an injury, and the home insurance is there to cover it. If 20 people all shot their eyes out that could be really interesting... but me providing a soccer ball or paintball equipment doesn't seem different to me, the liability would still be the same - for the purpose of inviting a bunch of friends over to play.

I think there might be a more conflicted argument if the insurance company claimed it was a business activity and denied coverage. If they viewed the organization and materials as an enterprise activity, there is other insurance for that.

Maybe I just answered my own question, but I guess the question not is if it is risky to have a quick game of paintball on your property for fun, but what are the limitations of home insurance.

I still think liability would be the same though for a fun event with friends that happened rarely, or else I'd be really screwed this past thanksgiving with my 28 relatives all playing flag football at my house.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Negative

I may have gone a bit overboard with the recent EBay discounts and purchased 4 EMEKs as loaners...
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone