mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
These things look great. I was so close to ordering one, but went with a PCP air rifle floor pump instead. For the amount of use I would put into it, I can't justify the purchase.
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Y'know, I'm kind of surprised nobody has said anything about my "latest high-end tournament-grade marker".

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rec Poster

How would this compare to a 4500 PSI Yong Heng compressor?
screwloose45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
Y'know, I'm kind of surprised nobody has said anything about my "latest high-end tournament-grade marker".

Doc.
Haha I meant to. Those Blades are such terrible guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:

Doc.
Looks like the usual tournament grade for MCB. "Latest" is just the last one you bought, right?

"High-end"...did you replace the internals with custom parts, or does this one work a lot better than the other seven you have?

As I once again contemplated a shoebox compressor, my little pancake compressor snapped the flapper valve in the cylinder head this weekend. I doubt I have the patience to make a new one. The motor is starting to look like part of a wood lathe.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

I wonder how the shoebox compares to the air venturi nomad compressor.

Been looking really hard at the yong heng ones, but by time you buy thr compressor and oil/water seperator you're about up to the $500 range. But figure you'd need the seperator on a shoebox as well?
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosgarage57 View Post
I wonder how the shoebox compares to the air venturi nomad compressor.

Been looking really hard at the yong heng ones, but by time you buy thr compressor and oil/water seperator you're about up to the $500 range. But figure you'd need the seperator on a shoebox as well?
I don't use any separator's on my Shoebox. Gravity does most of the work. First stage on the floor, second stage on a shelf, whip gauge above the Shoebox, tank above the whip gauge. When the drain gets cracked on the whip after the fill is done, the water that comes out can be soaked up with one end of a Q-tip.

I used to use an in-line desiccant filters from McMaster Carr, but it seemed to starve the Shoebox, and the tubes would get hot. And I still got the same amount of water running w/o a filter. A quick Google search pulled up the gravity set up someone had documented, and I've been using it that way ever since.

There's the option to hook up a 6000 PSI Nitrogen tank to a Shoebox, which would make moisture a non-issue. The reg/whip set up is pretty expensive, IIRC it was almost $400. Than the price of a tank rental and fill...adds up fast. Plus, if the reg fails, whatever is in the tank is dumping directly into the Shoebox, which can only take 120 PSI. Even if the nitrogen tank is almost empty, it's gonna wreck the Shoebox.
belleville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Where can you get more of this silicon oil?

Quote:

This new version now comes with a sort of "automatic oiler", some felt wicks held to the pistons, which keep them lubricated with some of the silicone oil included with the compressor. The wicks come dry, so you have to first saturate them. The oil is a little on the thick side, and it takes a moment for it to "'wick into" the felt, so don't just start squirting it willy-nilly. The felt is a long strip folded into a V around the piston shaft, so I found that the best way was to drop the oil into the V between the two legs, which helps it soak in.

This is a regular maintenance thing, you'll want to periodically check the wicks and add more oil as needed.

And finally, the lower piston rides in a bronze guide bushing, and this needs a touch of white lithium grease. I didn't have any white lithium, so I used a tiny dab of some high-performance spindle grease.

The wicks need to get the proper silicone oil, because those ride in O-rings under a great deal of pressure. I suggest using only the factory stuff. The bushing, however, is just a bronze bushing to help guide the rod, so any decent grease should work. Doesn't need a lot, but like the wicks, will need periodic refreshing.

Doc.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwloose45 View Post
How would this compare to a 4500 PSI Yong Heng compressor?
-No idea. Haven't tried one. I do know I'd rather buy a US-made product from Tom K. than more Chinese crap, though.

Quote:
There's the option to hook up a 6000 PSI Nitrogen tank to a Shoebox[...] Plus, if the reg fails, whatever is in the tank is dumping directly into the Shoebox, which can only take 120 PSI. Even if the nitrogen tank is almost empty, it's gonna wreck the Shoebox.
-Wait... you want to hook up a tank of 6,000 psi nitrogen... though a pressure regulator to drop it down to sub-120 psi... so you can feed that into a compressor.... in order to get... 4500 psi...?

I might be missing something here, but couldn't you... you know... use the 6K psi, regulated down to maybe 4,500, right out of the tank?

Quote:
Where can you get more of this silicon[e] oil?
-The manufacturer carries it. (Although right this second, it appears to be out of stock.)

I'm assuming they recommend the silicone oil rather than a petroleum based lube, so to reduce the chances of a flammable oil getting into the compressed air and "dieseling". Do NOT use regular air tool oils or petroleum-based lubes on the wicks.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Thanks on the oil source. I have been looking for a source for silicon based oil
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone