mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Don't Mind the Hawaiian, he knows what he's doing

As I mentioned in the SantaBall thread I am in MA visiting family. Couldn't make it to that game so I headed to P&L Paintball yesterday for some open play.

I had a fantastic time, met the owner who is an OG, made friends with a few members of local (sponsored?) team Steeel Reserve, and made a few memories. If you live in the area and haven't been to P&L, you need to go. The fields, staff, and players were first rate. I was made to feel absolutely, and immediately, at home.

Yesterday they had 80 people at peak. Coming from Utah that is incredible. And according to staff it isn't uncommon to have 200+ walk-on during the summer. Insane.

Not only was I a bit surprised by the number of people playing, but I was also a little taken aback by the size and quality of the operation at P&L. We simply don't have anything like it back home. They have a barrel field and a hyperball field but both were not playable due to recent rain. They also have a large city-like arena called Ghost Town and a few pallet-like fields called Teepee 1 and 2. I don't know if there are other fields deeper into the property; those are just the ones that were near the staging area that we played at.

I brought my AM Sentinel + ammo box, and P&L was kind enough to lend me a 13/3k from their .50 cal fleet. Normally I run it as a sort of pistol but I decided to add a bottom line for the trip. The ammo box only lasted the first game: I borrowed a 200 round hopper from P&L for the rest of the day. Simply had too many targets.

All of the games were awesome, but the last one is worth mention.

We played at Ghost Town, straight elimination with no respawn. My team walked to the far end of the field. Myself, two members of Steeel Reserve, and a young gun (12 or so) decided to go left / downstairs and move to the other team's starting side. Game started and we did so, meeting little resistance. We got pretty far down the side when I saw a bunch players from the other team upstairs and across the courtyard. I took some shots and got separated from the group but eventually caught up with them at the entrance to the upstairs area I had been shooting at earlier.

As I went up the ramp to join them the 2 Steeel Reserve players I had been with got eliminated around a blind corner (by another Steeel Reserve player on the opposite team).

I had no other approach so I ended up taking my chances snapshooting. Had a close call or two but I won and the young gun and I moved around the corner and down the hall to eliminate a few other players to win the game.

Young Gun's excitement after the game brought back memories of my own experiences as a kid his age playing paintball. He ran into some friends and recounted our victory.

But what I really cherished from that game was what happened afterwards. When he to back to the staging area he started packing up and his mother came to sit next to him. He pointed to me and said "Hey mom! See that guy? Don't mind the Hawaiian shirt. He knows what he's doing."

Other fields that we couldn't play at
20181229_122844.jpg

Delicious cookie graciously provided by Steeel Reserve member Drunk Jesus
20181229_133814.jpg

Teepee field (perfect case for backspin system....low hanging branches)
20181229_143021_HDR.jpg

The downstairs hallway we moved down during last game (moving towards camera)
20181229_150000_HDR.jpg

The courtyard of Ghost Town field, facing where team started - we moved up right side, crossed over above the camera, and finished game on left near the two upstairs windows on left
20181229_145903.jpg

Last edited by apamburn; 12-30-2018 at 08:58 PM.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

Kilt Club
Really glad you had fun man, sounds like I should give P&L another chance.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Co-Owner NoDak Spud LLC

Nice.

What was the temp out there? We're all snow and ice right now. LOL

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
Mike@NDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Confronting the Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
Really glad you had fun man, sounds like I should give P&L another chance.
Ditto. Their practices of allowing speed ballers to light up children had me turned off from them in the past. Sounds like they may have turned things around.

Also, Ghost Town is one of my favorite fields on the planet.

Feedback

"Come on you apes. You want to live forever?" -Johnny Rico
"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Last edited by packersrule729; 12-31-2018 at 10:41 AM.
packersrule729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
TooTall518

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Nice!

Feedback | YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Tippmann 98s do not have problems. You've broken the universe. Impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
Dang, I was going to give you my thesis outline
"Psycho-Sexual Paintball; an analysis of penile ejaculatory surrogacy in paintball marking devices"
Obake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by packersrule729 View Post
Ditto. Their practices of allowing speed ballers to light up children had me turned off from them in the past. Sounds like they may have turned things around.

Yeah when he first posted up I recommended against P&L due to that. The last few times I played there (3+ years ago) there was a ton of rental hunting and wiping and the staff brushed me off when I talked to them about it.

I'll try them in the spring and keep an open mind.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersrule729 View Post

Owner told me they usually separate owners from renters, but when they mix they will make the owners use gravity fed hoppers or give them free rentals depending on how much they dominate.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
Owner told me they usually separate owners from renters, but when they mix they will make the owners use gravity fed hoppers or give them free rentals depending on how much they dominate.
That's a new thing then, good to know!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I live in Mass and totally forgot this field was still around! I need to get out there!
PE: Emek, Etek5 & 05 EGO
Bob Long: Texas Storm G6R & Ripper 2.5
WTB: Dye UL Barrels (Front & Backs)
ChuckLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLove View Post
I live in Mass and totally forgot this field was still around! I need to get out there!
Where do you usually play?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone